S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Don't use STP or FRAM oil filters. They collapse.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Angry Don't use STP or FRAM oil filters. They collapse.

I used an STP brand oil filter at my last change 4k miles ago. I had run out my stock of the MANN filters, so went by the local parts store and found the STP had a match to the S55AMG.

I was shocked when I took the STP out yesterday to find it had collapsed in the middle and was shaped like an hour glass. The media was all sucked in toward the center axis. The effect of this is the oil has to pump harder to squeeze through the reduced surface area to get to the center of the filter stalk.

I put in a fresh MANN filter. The noticeable difference when you compare the media I the MANN has reinforcement glue rings all the way around the filter at half inch spacings. Of the 6 or 7 I have used in past oil changes, the MANN filters were never collapsed like the STP.

I also bought a FRAM that has no reinforcement ribs. Tossed that in the trash...
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cadillac cts-v
I am the tech manager at FRAM, if your filter collapsed, it was full of dirt and your bypass valve is sticking. Before you just bash the filters, maybe you should do some investigation before it costs you an engine.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
I'll check that in 4,000 miles for you

Originally Posted by motorking
I am the tech manager at FRAM, if your filter collapsed, it was full of dirt and your bypass valve is sticking. Before you just bash the filters, maybe you should do some investigation before it costs you an engine.
Tell you what....I will pull my Mann filter out in 4,000 miles and post the pictures of yours versus theirs for a fair miles-to-miles comparison.

Aside: I love the CTS-V. Maybe for my next supercar purchase.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (08-27-2021)
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Why would put that trash in your Benz? OEM is only 20 bucks I have never heard of a collapsed oil filter regardless of what the tech manager says. Also google collapsed fram oil filter

Last edited by JonMBZ; 06-20-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
OEM Mercedes vs. STP vs MANN

Originally Posted by GrepAwk
I used an STP brand oil filter at my last change 4k miles ago. I had run out my stock of the MANN filters, so went by the local parts store and found the STP had a match to the S55AMG.

I was shocked when I took the STP out yesterday to find it had collapsed in the middle and was shaped like an hour glass. The media was all sucked in toward the center axis. The effect of this is the oil has to pump harder to squeeze through the reduced surface area to get to the center of the filter stalk.

I put in a fresh MANN filter. The noticeable difference when you compare the media I the MANN has reinforcement glue rings all the way around the filter at half inch spacings. Of the 6 or 7 I have used in past oil changes, the MANN filters were never collapsed like the STP.

I also bought a FRAM that has no reinforcement ribs. Tossed that in the trash...
I just did an oil change yesterday on my 2012 C250. I usually use the oem Mercedes oil filter but this time I decided to use STP Extended Life Oil Filter model #S11246XL. It suppose to protect up to 10,000 miles. This model is an upgrade to the standard STP filter. The filter looked good upon inspecting it. I hope it works like the Mercedes filter. I'll share my an update next time I do an oil change. I usually do my oil changes every 5,000 miles. I never used MANN before I'm curious to know how these 3 filters match up to each other.