S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

SL55 - Super car when it is cool - but not too hot. Help requested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
SL55 - Super car when it is cool - but not too hot. Help requested

I've owned my '03 SL55 for two months and have put just under 6K miles on it. I initially had a coolant issue which, through use, has rectified itself. My guess is that as the car had been driven so few miles througout its life, things were a little gummed up.

I've driven the car to Canada and back, up into the rockies (mountains) and everywhere in between. The car is a wonderful beast and reminds me of my old Suzuki GSX 1100 in terms of shock and awe! An issue though is that the SL only likes to go at 7/10ths and not much more...

This new problem has manifested itself over the past few thousand miles, and I figure it has to do with the compressor, its pulley, or the intercooler - let me explain. After all fluids are up to temp, and I've driven agressively for a short while, the engine feels as though it has gone into limp-home mode, with very little power available. After driving "nicely' for a few minutes, I've got full power back. While the car is "limping", none of the idiot lights are flashing, the water temperature gauge is at ~90C, and the transmission is shifting normally. Everything looks fine in the engine room, and there are no foul smells. I don't want to go to the dealer and spend $$ if there is a fix that I can perform.

Anyone with insight into this issue and potential fixes that I may be able to perform?

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails SL55 - Super car when it is cool - but not too hot.  Help requested-img_8670.jpg   SL55 - Super car when it is cool - but not too hot.  Help requested-img_8680.jpg   SL55 - Super car when it is cool - but not too hot.  Help requested-img_8686-001.jpg   SL55 - Super car when it is cool - but not too hot.  Help requested-img_8687.jpg   SL55 - Super car when it is cool - but not too hot.  Help requested-img_8703.jpg  

Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by southwestcanuck
I've owned my '03 SL55 for two months and have put just under 6K miles on it. I initially had a coolant issue which, through use, has rectified itself. My guess is that as the car had been driven so few miles througout its life, things were a little gummed up.

I've driven the car to Canada and back, up into the rockies (mountains) and everywhere in between. The car is a wonderful beast and reminds me of my old Suzuki GSX 1100 in terms of shock and awe! An issue though is that the SL only likes to go at 7/10ths and not much more...

This new problem has manifested itself over the past few thousand miles, and I figure it has to do with the compressor, its pulley, or the intercooler - let me explain. After all fluids are up to temp, and I've driven agressively for a short while, the engine feels as though it has gone into limp-home mode, with very little power available. After driving "nicely' for a few minutes, I've got full power back. While the car is "limping", none of the idiot lights are flashing, the water temperature gauge is at ~90C, and the transmission is shifting normally. Everything looks fine in the engine room, and there are no foul smells. I don't want to go to the dealer and spend $$ if there is a fix that I can perform.

Anyone with insight into this issue and potential fixes that I may be able to perform?

Thanks guys!
cheap and easy fix..

intercooler pump. (extremely common)

Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Thanks for the information. I incorrectly posted this in the wrong room (its an SL and not an S) but thanks again for your reply. Based upon the responses I've received in the SL room, the consensus is that its the IC pump.

Any links to a DIY fix? I'm looking but have not found it yet.

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
Johnson CM30 IC pump solves the problem.