S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Fixing the tranny, one extra piece

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55
Fixing the tranny, one extra piece

Ok, the story goes like this. The wife was out with some friends last week and she said the car was acting "weird". Her explanation consisted of, it didn't have as much pep and after a while wouldn't shift properly. Fortunately she noticed this relatively quickly and we were able to get it flat-bedded back home without any apparent permanent damage. I hooked up my laptop and used a generic scanner program and there weren't any codes and the tranny fluid level was just a bit below the full hot level so I took it for a quick spin through the neighborhood and there was no apparent slippage or problems/roughness shifting through the gears.

Fast forward to today, I am doing the full monty on usual 722.6 problem areas (conductor plate, electrical connector plug, fluid and filter) and while dropping the valve body, a round pin/rod fell out of one of the bolt holes. After examining which valve body bolts I removed, it would appear that I removed one too many. It's the one which holds the shift detent lever. My question is, is anybody familiar with a rod approximately 5mm dia x 50mm long located within any of the mounting holes?