S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Potential for First Merc Purchase.....need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes S55
Potential for First Merc Purchase.....need advice

I ran across a 2003 Merc S55 with 35k miles today. I went and rode with the guy (he offered to let me drive but I declined until I know I'm ready to pull the trigger) and the inside and out looks to be in great condition. He hammered on it and I didn't see any warning lights come on and didn't seem to miss a beat. The only issue that he told me about was the PSE Pump. I think I can get the car for around $10k-$11k. He was asking more until I pointed out the kbb.com book price (~$13,500) and he has a quote of around $3k to fix the PSE pump issue so he subtracted out the fix from the blue book value.....??? Does that sound right? I'm sure I'm over simplifying the PSE pump issue but isn't it just a ~$600-$700 part and swapping out the old one in the trunk? Seems like $3k is high for that work. At any rate, it seemed like a really good price. Should I go for it or am I setting myself up for repair after repair? I'm fairly mechanically inclined; It should be very hard to replace a PSE Pump, right??? Does anyone know what kind of cost am I looking at for this model? Am I still going to be looking at repairs with such low mileage? (assuming the mileage is indeed correct). I planned on using it as a daily driver for about 2.5-3 months and then possibly sell it again or keep it if I fall in love with it and it's not breaking down.

He mentioned that he was the 2nd owner and that he's had it for 7-8yrs and put about 17k miles on it......mentioned that he purchased it used for $70+, which sounds within reason. Also sounds like he might be in a bind for money and which would offer up a reason to sell an extra car that just sits around. I'm going to see if he can provide service records tomorrow to validate mileage and previous repairs. Also figure it'll be worth pulling a carfax. Any other questions I should be asking or items I need to be looking for as tell tale signs?

I've always dreamed of owning an AMG Mercedes and it just worked out that I was looking for an extra vehicle and this popped up and the price point seemed too good to pass up.

I really appreciate all the advice and feedback.

Last edited by class04aggiejss; 06-17-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:57 AM

2006 S65 AMG V12BT
Service history is important. Sometimes very low miles could be just as bad as high miles... Letting a car sit could could result in issues with gaskets and seals. Good news is you can get a warranty with low miles....

Looks like the lower front bumper grills are missing... check for repairs or repaint work..
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
10k is a steal! The parts alone on that car are worth more. I say don't look back and just get it.
Last year I gave my 2003 S55 to my Dad and picked up a 2007 S65 which is a awesome machine don't get me wrong BUT I do miss my S55. It has a grumble and grunt and loves to run.
Good luck
Johan
Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 AMG S55
Like you I am somewhat mechanically inclined and took the leap last month getting my first. Yes this is probably the most advanced car or bike you will have owned but keep in mind it is still just a car and with the advice on this forum and a good repair manual you can diy most of the work yourself. The guy I got my car from had just replaced the rear main seal, trans and engine mounts himself. I advise you to get a copy of the official MB STAR Service Manual. This DVD rom is very detailed and even gives you part numbers and part numbers for special tools. You will need a program called AutoDesk Whip intalled on your computer to get the dvd to work and run. If you can get that car for 10-11k that would be a great deal. Mine is a 2005 with 68k on it and I paid 16k but the previous owner also provided me with $10k in receipts from the parts he put on the car himself. Mind needs nothing at this time it is fresh. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:29 AM

2003 Mercedes S55

MCMLXIX: "Looks like the lower front bumper grills are missing... check for repairs or repaint work.. "

I think it's just a bad pic. Looks like in another pic it was all there. He also mentioned that there was a radar jammer installed in the grill somewhere but I didn't look around for it.

Has anyone done the PSE Pump replacement personally? How difficult/expensive has it been in your experiences?

What are the tell tale signs of potential ABC problems?

Where would I look/check with for extended warranty information?

Soylent Green: Where did you get your MB STAR Service Manual? Do you want to sell me a copy of yours?

Appreciate all the feedback and advice. I'm as green as they come on Merc info. I've had 4 lifted trucks and have a protouring 1970 Chevelle.......I'm out of my element here!