S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Strange noise at startup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Strange noise at startup

So my 2010 S63 has 75K miles now. I have had this noise for a while but the dealer is claiming it's nothing (CPO car) - when I start the car, it makes a loud KHHH sound for about 2-3 seconds. It's been getting worse lately and happens every time I start it. I am also no getting engine ticking sound. Does anyone have an educated guess what it is and if it's covered under CPO?
Thanks!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' MBZ S63 / 99' Hummer H1
I have the same problem with my own car and just had a conversation with the service director at the MBZ dealership. He's telling me it's coming from the cam chain tensioners. There not releasing back and putting tension on the cam chain at start up. Mercedes knows about and even has a bulletin out on it. The noise last about 2-3 seconds and goes away. It scared me at first because I thought it sounded like the top end of the motor was coming apart and there was no lubrication on the top end. I spoke with a Mercedes mechanic and he told me to change my oil to
Mobil 1 0/40 and see if it helps. I'm in So.Cal. and the temp pretty much stays the same "warm" You might want to check where you are and see what your mechanic recommends depending on climate change. Here they are using the Mobil 1 0/40 in all the Mercedes and BMW's. It's bad when my Mercedes sounds like my diesel truck at start up. It's actually embarrassing!

Last edited by speedpro1; 07-11-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by speedpro1
I have the same problem with my own car and just had a conversation with the service director at the MBZ dealership. He's telling me it's coming from the cam chain tensioners. There not releasing back and putting tension on the cam chain at start up. Mercedes knows about and even has a bulletin out on it. The noise last about 2-3 seconds and goes away. It scared me at first because I thought it sounded like the top end of the motor was coming apart and there was no lubrication on the top end. I spoke with a Mercedes mechanic and he told me to change my oil to
Mobil 1 0/40 and see if it helps. I'm in So.Cal. and the temp pretty much stays the same "warm" You might want to check where you are and see what your mechanic recommends depending on climate change. Here they are using the Mobil 1 0/40 in all the Mercedes and BMW's. It's bad when my Mercedes sounds like my diesel truck at start up. It's actually embarrassing!
Wow that's great to know. Any adea if this causes damage to anything? Where do you service your car? Thanks
Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' MBZ S63 / 99' Hummer H1
I would think if it goes long enough it could damage your cam chain or possibly other top end parts. I did just change my oil to the 0/40 Mobil 1 and it made a huge difference. I still get a little noise every once in a while but nothing like it was. I am hoping to do another early oil change and really clean it out and see if it makes any better. The closest dealer to me is Fletcher Jones in Ontario, Ca. The MBZ mechanic that told me about the oil has 25-30 years of dealership work under his belt. He's now on his own.