S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Can bus wire location for aftermarket head unit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Thanks!

Originally Posted by g9s8r
I did tap into the wires in my CANBUS. I didnt want to solder extra wires to reach the bus bar under the driver's side just to tap into whats there. Like you stated, there is no place to "plug into" unless you make your own connector. I went the simpler route, for myself, and just tapped (I used Scotchlok connector) into the CANBUS from my climate control. I looked at your MY and it looks like your climate control is above the head unit so I am not familiar on whether or not it has the wires accessible for it there. The previous MY for the CL had the climate control underneath the Headunit (from what I see in pictures). If you see a twisted pair of brown and brown/red from the climate control area, that should be the CANBUS. I don't want to steer you wrong since I know the S55 and the CL55 have a different dash setup. (I am assuming CL55 by your info on the side). Wish I could help more.

For this threads purpose, to clarify my earlier posts, my fiber optics decoder box was faulty. Once I replaced that, everything worked fine. Well, I still need to find connectors and wires to run to the trunk for antenna and gps but, not trying to get into that as I don't know if I am keeping this Fleabay Chinese headunit.
g9s8r,
Got it now, thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:05 AM

2003 Mercedes Benz s430 base
video Install

Can someone maybe do a video of how they installed everything in the car? I am a new member who has kinda the same issue.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 S500 4MATIC
Hello I am upgrading 2006 S500 system to new xtrons head unit. I connected everything so far minus the can bus connections. Someone mentioned I could tap in the ac unit brwn brwn/red wires? Tried it but got nothing no illumimation lights on the unit no steering wheel vol control. Also my unit has a can bus decoder with green green/blk wires coming out of it.

Also I need help locating the radio antenna wire in trunk I see s wire which says antenna that is connected to another wire that says lct. Is this the correct wire? If so will I need a adapter to fit this end from female ext antenna cable?

Last edited by DJ_FRONTLINE; 01-26-2019 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ghrer (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 11:47 PM

2015 Toyota Land Cruiser VXR
I tried everything above, steering control buttons are all working but no sound at all
Old 10-13-2019, 12:22 AM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
decoder box

Originally Posted by ghrer
I tried everything above, steering control buttons are all working but no sound at all
Its probably a bad fiber optic decoder box. I personally had that happen to me. EVERYTHING worked but I had no sound. I thought it was bad connection somewhere but I had a bad decoder box and ended up buying a new one that fixed my problem. I cant say hundred percent say that is your issue but if I would have to guess than I would say that would be it.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:41 AM

2015 Toyota Land Cruiser VXR
Its probably a bad fiber optic decoder box. I personally had that happen to me. EVERYTHING worked but I had no sound. I thought it was bad connection somewhere but I had a bad decoder box and ended up buying a new one that fixed my problem. I cant say hundred percent say that is your issue but if I would have to guess than I would say that would be it.
I ordered another optical box the seller this time sent me a box without canbus wires, he said this box is newer, I tried it no sound, but anyway how this new box suppose to work if it doesn’t have canbus wires?? I know canbus wires are important to wake-up the amplifier
I guess I’ll just order the long cable, it is so frustrating, I give up :/
Old 10-13-2019, 12:03 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
I ordered another optical box the seller this time sent me a box without canbus wires, he said this box is newer, I tried it no sound, but anyway how this new box suppose to work if it doesn’t have canbus wires?? I know canbus wires are important to wake-up the amplifier
Hopefully they aren't charging you to replace that decoder. I originally told my seller that it was defective and had to ship it back to china before they gave me a refund for that decoder box. If they didnt I was gonna have Paypal open a dispute but I still had to send it back either way but that isnt really relevant here.

I just looked at the decoder box and there aren't any canbus wire attachment. It just has a power and ground with an RCA input. The Canbus wires most likely come from the head unit itself. I'd have to pull mine out of the box to look what wires were included in the head unit.

I figured that if it was the decoder, even though AVIN doesn't refund they will exchange if defective. So, I went ahead and purchased one from them and it worked no problem.

AVIN - https://avinusa.com/accessories/most...ace-boxes.html

Once you get it together and working you'll look back and think...that was actually pretty simple but what a pain in the a**

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
ghrer (10-13-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 06:01 PM

G55 AMG 2002
Hi,
W463 2002, bought Isudar Android Headunit but the steering wheel control doesn't work.
The radio turns ON itself, there is a signal for the backup camera when in Reverse but NO steeering control.
I dont know if the CAN is correct or maybe the CANBOX wrongly set? Any ideas how to connect to the steering Canbus will be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:01 PM

1990 500SE AMG, 2005 S600 RENNtech
Any luck?
I have a 2005 S600 and am in the same boat. I ordered a new decoder, i know my decoder DID work at one time as i tested it in place of the CD changer. I ordered a new one and will try it.
Thanks to all that have posted in this thread it made life SO much easier.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:49 PM

I"m having the same issue of no audio. I have a feeling the canbus decoder with my headunit isnt telling the system where the audio input is coming from. all the other canbus functions work though. i tried pulling the cd changer out of the fiber loop too. i'll try relocating the fiber decoder to where the changer was and see if that works.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:44 PM

i've been round and round in trying to get the Audio Gateway and amp to turn on with no success, at this point i assume it has something to do with my CAN BUS interface not knowing how to "wake things up". thank you all that have posted to this thread.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:18 PM

2004 S430
Originally Posted by Russ Ward
Attached is a PDF file with instructions including pictures of EXACTLY how I wired my head unit it.

Hope this helps!

Russ
Great write-up Russ! Thank you! I downloaded your PDF and will be using it to guide me with my own installation in my 2004 S430 with Bose.
I will be installing a universal Android headunit that used to be in my Nissan. I hope I can get everything working including the steering wheel controls as I don't have a canbus decoder (but my headunit harness has CANBUS cables "Key 1" and "Key 2").

Last edited by MKB DIY; 01-23-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:54 PM

S500 2006
Document?

Hi Russ
I'm looking at this on my phone. I don't see the PDF. Can you help.
I tried wiring an aftermarket head unit with a fiber optic decoder box. Nothing worked and so I'm in the process of returning everything.
Kannan
Old 01-23-2020, 08:45 PM

2004 S430
Originally Posted by Kskanna
Hi Russ
I'm looking at this on my phone. I don't see the PDF. Can you help.
I tried wiring an aftermarket head unit with a fiber optic decoder box. Nothing worked and so I'm in the process of returning everything.
Kannan
Hi! I downloaded it yesterday on my laptop. Russ posted it on 01-08-2018.
You may wanna try your laptop. His write-up is very clear, with pictures. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2020, 11:05 PM

S500 2006
Thanks got it

Hi DIY
i did have those instructions. Have you done the install?
do you have A MOST audio?
I would be able to help you the best I can as I've gone through this and hot stuck quite a bit.
Does your OEM head unit work or did it die?
Mine is dead. So I cannot reset the clock! I need to either get another or figure out the aftermarket route.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2020, 04:57 PM

2004 S430
Hi DIY
i did have those instructions. Have you done the install?
do you have A MOST audio?
I would be able to help you the best I can as I've gone through this and hot stuck quite a bit.
Does your OEM head unit work or did it die?
Mine is dead. So I cannot reset the clock! I need to either get another or figure out the aftermarket route.
Thanks
Hi! Kskanna,

I haven't yet installed my aftermarket AHU. I am making some mods to the dash first. Will post pictures once I am done. My factory head unit is a MOST and it works except for the CD eject function. What did you end up doing?

Last edited by MKB DIY; 01-30-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:27 PM

S500 2006
Restart

Hi,
So as I mentioned. I returned everything and have basically ordered a used Command unit from Ebay. I'm waiting for that to arrive. My main issue was that the command unit itself died.
I have also ordered a Y split MOST fiber optic connector:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOST-Fibre-...72.m2749.l2649
I'm hoping to receive it and then start afresh with this.
Hopefully you will be ahead of me and we'll know what happens.
I want to make sure that your unit has RED "End" and GREEN "Send" buttons to make sure we share the same audio system.
Can you tell me that?
Thanks
Kannan
Old 02-20-2020, 09:44 AM

2004 S430
Hi,
So as I mentioned. I returned everything and have basically ordered a used Command unit from Ebay. I'm waiting for that to arrive. My main issue was that the command unit itself died.
I have also ordered a Y split MOST fiber optic connector:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOST-Fibre-...72.m2749.l2649
I'm hoping to receive it and then start afresh with this.
Hopefully you will be ahead of me and we'll know what happens.
I want to make sure that your unit has RED "End" and GREEN "Send" buttons to make sure we share the same audio system.
Can you tell me that?
Thanks
Kannan
So did you receive your headunit?
As I had mentioned, I am installing a universal android head unit.
I tried keeping factory amp and all components by buying the $100 fiberoptic module for sound.
Given that the module only uses the two front speaker inputs, the sound quality was poor for me since I am an audiophile.
I also started getting more battery drain and had to replace my 6 month old car battery.
Therefore, I returned the module and ripped out all that old technology from the trunk. I have run my own speaker wires to the trunk for factory speakers.
I have also installed a 2 Channel 1200 Watt Boss Amp that is powering the factory subs. It sounds great! I tried PAC steering wheel control module, but couldn't get it to work.
So I am returning that too. I have this (https://www.ebay.com/i/323490505036?...AaAp75EALw_wcB)
that I bought some time back for my previous car for cheaper and will use it instead (already tested and works).
I have installed wireless chaging in front ashtray and also USB charging in armrest. Will be posting a video on Youtube and linking it here soon.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:34 PM

04 mercedes-benz e320 4matic
Originally Posted by Russ Ward
Hi Arnoldo,

Did you get your aftermarket head unit installed yet?

If so:
1.) How and where did you connect into the Mercedes CANBUS system wiring such that your steering wheel controls function?
2.) How did you use the Blue/Black-stripe wire with your installation?

If you can supply pictures, that would be GREAT!

Thanks,
Russ
mine 2004 e320 under glove box is can bus hub it slides out and has empty slots that the green extention cable go to. You will know it works door open will show and volume on steering wheel