S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Supercharger clutch squeek

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
DHH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
Supercharger clutch squeek

I read it before but can't find the post. My '04 S55 just started making a small squeek when starting from a stop or gently accelerating when going less than 10 mph. I think it is the supercharger squeek that I read about before. I am going to have the dealer look at it next week, only because the sound bugs me now.

What were other members' solutions - or should I not let the dealer goof around with it?

Thanks in advance,

Doug
Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
No real fix. Mercedes has issued a service bulletin and regards this as normal across all the V6/V8 Kompressor engines.

Some dealers have replaced the belt but the sound seems to come back sooner or later.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55
Originally posted by awiner
No real fix. Mercedes has issued a service bulletin and regards this as normal across all the V6/V8 Kompressor engines.

Some dealers have replaced the belt but the sound seems to come back sooner or later.
Yeah...We can send space craft to Mars but we can't get the Kompressor 'chirps' fixed... Unbelieveable..
Old 04-19-2004, 12:55 PM
DHH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
Squeek Update

Talked to the dealer and they found the service bulletin. The verdict is --- do nothing, it is normal. They said they were told if they change the belt that the noise just comes back. I guess I will just have to turn the radio up louder. Not a very rewarding solution.

Doug
Old 04-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 S55
Re: Squeek Update

Originally posted by DHH
Talked to the dealer and they found the service bulletin. The verdict is --- do nothing, it is normal. They said they were told if they change the belt that the noise just comes back. I guess I will just have to turn the radio up louder. Not a very rewarding solution.

Doug
I can't see what they think changing the belt would do as it appears to be in the electronic clutch in the S.C... Anyway I'm about due for my first 'scheduled' maintenance visit so I'll complain to my dealer, Fletcher Jones, and see how they shine me on I'd be willing to beat that some creative independent shop could figure out a way to stop to 'chirp'. Although I've driven a SL55 and S55 with the Brabus upgrades and they both had the chirp. I can't hear mine if the windows are up. My only complaint with the car is that chirp and the radio occassionally dropping off for 5 seconds. Like it is trying to compensate for exterior noise and just resets itself. Not a big deal but mystifying nonetheless.

2003 S55 6600 miles...........................
Old 04-21-2004, 06:34 AM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
I have the same Problem as well. Adressed the dealer a few days ago cuz I thought it was something else.. can't beleive that Mercedes doesn't have a solution for this problem.. Well as long as my engine doesnt rip apart, I guess I'll live with this problem.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I think that the chirp is from the belt. When I first got my car the belts were new and had no chirp, later I found the supercharger belt was very smooth (on the inside where it meets the pulley) and now I have the chirp. I'm thinking that the belt is just worn enough that it takes a bit before it bites into the pulley and thus the chirp. Maybe if MB used a toothed belt?
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (01-27-2020)