S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

M113k ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS: HOW TO FIX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz E55 AMG, CL55 AMG, C32 AMG, e46 M3, Ducati 996, s197 Mustang
M113k ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS: HOW TO FIX

So a couple days ago I smelled a funny smell, and heard a noise that sounded like a power steering whine, but on the passenger side. So I diagnosed it as the Alternator. I bought a remanufactured one (Bosch) from an auto parts store for less than $200 and a $20 core.

1st step UNHOOK BATTERY FOOLS

I first put my hood STRAIGHT UP, ( to do this look at the small buttons on the HINGE itself on the hood.. it pushes in on both sides) then removed the front radiator cover, radiator fan, trim, and clamped the upper passenger side rad hose, then the idler pullies, this is a t50 bit I think. Then took off belts. So after that I pulled apart the hose connecting to the module/relay by the passenger headlight, this drains almost all coolant so be sure to buy some more. I then un did both bolts holding the Alternator on, undid the positive underneath the car along with the connection. Then pulled the Alternator right out. Put new one In reverse steps, added coolant and bled system.

This took me about 1.5 hours to remove everything and about 25 min to put everything back.

Be sure to not strip out any bolts! I reccomend getting new ones and also don't forget to find the torque specs for the idler pulleys! If those come off while driving I can't imagine the damage!!

If you have any questions let me know! I figured I would do a quick write up for somebody looking for generic info in removing/tips and tricks. The trick is to take off hoses and pulley. For 2 days I looked hard for a similar situation and didn't not find anything. Just bits and pieces. So this is my exact situation. If you have any tips or questions just ask!!

Last edited by Max_AMG; 08-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
compaddict (08-26-2017)
Old 12-24-2021, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 s55 amg
Originally Posted by Max_AMG
So a couple days ago I smelled a funny smell, and heard a noise that sounded like a power steering whine, but on the passenger side. So I diagnosed it as the Alternator. I bought a remanufactured one (Bosch) from an auto parts store for less than $200 and a $20 core.

1st step UNHOOK BATTERY FOOLS

I first put my hood STRAIGHT UP, ( to do this look at the small buttons on the HINGE itself on the hood.. it pushes in on both sides) then removed the front radiator cover, radiator fan, trim, and clamped the upper passenger side rad hose, then the idler pullies, this is a t50 bit I think. Then took off belts. So after that I pulled apart the hose connecting to the module/relay by the passenger headlight, this drains almost all coolant so be sure to buy some more. I then un did both bolts holding the Alternator on, undid the positive underneath the car along with the connection. Then pulled the Alternator right out. Put new one In reverse steps, added coolant and bled system.

This took me about 1.5 hours to remove everything and about 25 min to put everything back.

Be sure to not strip out any bolts! I reccomend getting new ones and also don't forget to find the torque specs for the idler pulleys! If those come off while driving I can't imagine the damage!!

If you have any questions let me know! I figured I would do a quick write up for somebody looking for generic info in removing/tips and tricks. The trick is to take off hoses and pulley. For 2 days I looked hard for a similar situation and didn't not find anything. Just bits and pieces. So this is my exact situation. If you have any tips or questions just ask!!

nice write up. Which chassis did you do this on?