S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S55 Designo
Bad wheel bearing?

Recently ran over something in the road that fell off a truck with my factory 18’s. Replaced those with these. Now im getting a slight metal grinding/scraping/dragging sound from the front passenger wheel, I believe. Went with shorter lugs as the factory lugs would’ve been 10mm too long. The noise starts around 30 mph, and is most prominent cruising at 40mph in fifth. When I let off the noise seems to subside a little. Last time I jacked the car up to check the dust plate, I checked the front wheels for play, which there is. I took the wheel off earlier, put a Long stud into the hub to spin the wheel faster. When I did I could hear what seemed to be little b bs rolling around/light clicking. Wheel bearing I guess?

Last edited by WillyG; 11-16-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600
sounds like, though make sure your lug bolts aren't the problem. do you hear it more or less when you turn? pull the hub off and look for damage to the bearing and check the adjustment/endplay; tighten the axle nut tight then back it off and just set it finger tight. I just changed a front wheel bearing and unless you're handy with a hydraulic press, chisel, sawzall and cuss words you might consider buying the whole hub, they are maybe $300? I got the pair of bearings for $50.