S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Blinking fog lights? Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes Benz S550
Blinking fog lights? Help!

Like mine to be customized and different!💯 “Blacked Out”🙌🏻
Just replaced and installed new LED fog lights in my 2007 Mercedes Benz S550. When putting them on, they blink 7-10 Times then just shut off. Also shows fog light errors on the dash. Please help...

Last edited by illbgtrdigital; 03-31-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
S-65 AMG
Originally Posted by illbgtrdigital

Like mine to be customized and different!�� “Blacked Out”����
Just replaced and installed new LED fog lights in my 2007 Mercedes Benz S550. When putting them on, they blink 7-10 Times then just shut off. Also shows fog light errors on the dash. Please help...
An LED does not function like a traditional bulb. The LED itself will have threshold voltage, typically less than 4 volts. If you apply less than this it is an open circuit and will not conduct (off), if you apply more than this it will short and burn out. Note this is across the diode itself the light you purchased may have a built in resistor, if so that could complicate this. My guess (and it is only a guess) is your car supplies more than the operating voltage to the diode, as a result to the supply linee it looks like a short circuit which causes a huge load and a voltage drop on the supply line. Voltage drops below the operating voltage and then the circuit is open so the current goes to 0. If the circuit uses a circuit breaker instead of a fuse blinking would be exactlty what you would expect. With a fuse I would expect the fuse to blow unless there was something else in the line with a higher resistance.

What I would do is bench test it to make sure the current draw is the same as the stock bulbs and if not wire a resistor in series to drop the current to what you would see on the stock bulb.

Last edited by auburn2; 04-02-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
In essence, you needed a canbus enabled LED kit, not just any generic LEDs. Otherwise won't play nice with your SAM.