S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Scraping Noise from Engine Bay Triggered "Battery Charge Visit Workshop"

Old 07-25-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S55 AMG Silver, 2003 CL600 Black Opal Metalic, 2005 CLK500 Silver (sold)& Orion Blue (sold)
Scraping Noise from Engine Bay Triggered "Battery Charge Visit Workshop"

Hello fellas, hope everyone is well, it's been a while. Well the S55 has been running strong, issue free for quite some time and I really have enjoyed the car. Every once in a while I was getting the P0410 for the secondary air injection; but having tested the pump independently and seeing no difference in operation, hearing the pump kick on normally and shut down normally. I have been lacking the time necessary to troubleshoot, so I chocked it up to one of those nuisance things and just reset it when the CEL did come on. Having redone the cat's with aftermarket, I thought maybe it was just a result of such.

Anyway, I digress. . . this morning, after sitting yesterday, I go start her up. While sitting in the car I believed I heard someone dragging garbage cans to the curb, to my surprise- it was my car making this god awful scraping sound in the engine bay. To describe it- a scrathing, scraping sound- like when your vacuum cleaner sucks up a little pebble and it scratches around until it spits it back out. I actually was prepared for something to come shooting out of it. I shut her down and started her back up, no warning lights or messages, but still this noise. With giving it gas, it subsided and came back gradually once the rpm's dropped back down. Couldn't help but feel like something was in the engine bay, took a look around and didn't see anything.

I let her run to temp to see what happened when all the belts warmed up, noise grew louder and threw the red light in the message display, with the "battery charge, visit workshop." Now, the alternator was the first thing I replaced on this car, battery is less than a year old, so what the hell could have caused that kind of noise and tripped this warning.

I had things to do, so I left her parked and when I came back, about 9 hours later, started her up and she's silent as a church mouse, actually early quiet- more quiet than she had ever been. Red warning is still on the dash and there is a subtle thud- with a combination of listening and feeling it- almost as if the car had a heart beat (or the slight vibration you'd still feel/hear from the bass if the music was all the way down- it was off), it's so subtle though, that if I wasn't paying such close attention to the car, it would have went un-noticed.

Any thoughts? I love the challenge, but my schedule right now. I love her, but I may look to let her go at this point if I can't get it sorted out. I plugged her up and got a (pd) code P0410. Could that racket have been the pump dying? Correlation between the pump and the warning? Pump causing the trouble without throwing the CEL?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CLK500 TWINS; 07-25-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S55 AMG Silver, 2003 CL600 Black Opal Metalic, 2005 CLK500 Silver (sold)& Orion Blue (sold)
thought it was a belt at first, but the warning through me off... went back under the hood and it's definitely the belt