S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Out with the steering wheel on S Classes... Steer by wire coming...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Lightbulb Out with the steering wheel on S Classes... Steer by wire coming...

(Courtesy of auto spies reports )

The next-generation S-Class Mercedes is scheduled for our shores in late 2005 as a 2006 model. Our spies caught a body-in-white being piloted around sans doors and hood, looking a little odd. The S-Class they saw was the testbed for a steer-by-wire system controlled by a joystick mounted to the transmission tunnel. Advantages are the lack of a steering shaft for better driver safety, the ability to steer the vehicle from either side of the car, and better integration of electronic stability augmentation systems. The Autodrive system, as it's currently referred to at M-B, is slated to be introduced on the 2008 models. Other features on the 2006 models include turbocharging and a 7-speed automatic transmission.

Any thoguhts???

Wiedermann
Old 06-09-2004, 05:48 PM

Re: Out with the steering wheel on S Classes... Steer by wire coming...

Originally posted by Wiedermann
(Courtesy of auto spies reports )

The next-generation S-Class Mercedes is scheduled for our shores in late 2005 as a 2006 model. Our spies caught a body-in-white being piloted around sans doors and hood, looking a little odd. The S-Class they saw was the testbed for a steer-by-wire system controlled by a joystick mounted to the transmission tunnel. Advantages are the lack of a steering shaft for better driver safety, the ability to steer the vehicle from either side of the car, and better integration of electronic stability augmentation systems. The Autodrive system, as it's currently referred to at M-B, is slated to be introduced on the 2008 models. Other features on the 2006 models include turbocharging and a 7-speed automatic transmission.

Any thoguhts???

Wiedermann

We know its going to have 7 speed tranny, hell the current models have it too. The only cars that will be turbocharged are the S600 and S65.
I don't think they will put joysticks in there, I just can't see that happening.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Steer by wire coming...

Mr G Unit:
Originally posted by G Unit
I don't think they will put joysticks in there, I just can't see that happening.
Same was said about Sensotronic breaking... now its deployed!... some problems.. but out there

Planes have had the same systems since mass production of large scale planes have been around... thing is... like you said... and many people also indicate... for some reason, people are more comfortable with the normal steering wheel, but don't care that a jet uses steer by wire (maybe cause they can't see the steering system??? ).
What I had heard was the system will be (obviuslly) a luxury "optional" equipment

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 AM

s65AMG, sl500
I am sure ou are right that it may have a steer by wire option, but I think it will be operated by a convetional steering wheel
Old 06-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
it sounds to me like it would be a little hard to control a car with a joystick. I think people are going to be way more comfortable with the conventional steering wheel, I also dont see a joystick coming, atleast as the standard replacement for the steering wheel.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:19 PM

i really dont think theyll put a joystick in there, many people (like myself) wouldnt buy the car if they did
Old 06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Steer by wire coming...

Steering the car with the joystick is actually quite easy and simple... as you don't have to battle the steering wheel to turn the car... it s very impressive actually

As I mentioned before, "What I had heard was the system will be (obviously) a luxury "optional" equipment" so there is room to those that don't want it, just don't pay extra for it .

I have not driven the car myself, but I saw it being driven while I sat in a test car... it takes a little bit of getting used to... as if you move the joystick hard, the car immediately responds (and it did) in the same way (I was more like a potato "sac" for about 10 minutes to the "getting used to" the joystick)

Cheers!

Wiedermann