S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 amg pulley squeak/ smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz S55 AMG
S55 amg pulley squeak/ smoke

I took my ‘03 S55 Amg on a drive and before leaving heard a small squeaking sound coming from one of my pulleys I assume. I returned home and heard a high pitch squealing/ squeaking coming from the engine bay along with smoke which smells like rubber. Please help me figure out what is wrong. I replaced my ac compressor about 5,000 miles ago.. Any help is much appreciated as I have no idea what is wrong!
Startup:
Old 11-27-2019, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 412 Posts
222 S-65
OP....

first up... Get a little wire brushy... One the size of a toothbrush. With it idling apply it to the ribbed side of the belt to remove dirt and dust.
Don't feed it your fingers.
The superdupercharger belt is done by 10,000 miles. Really.

With the car off.... Use a bright flashlight to look at the belts.... Cracks on the ribbed side? If so start there. With the belts off check every pulley.... Spin the idlers... Silent and smooth with no slop? Replace any that are not perfect. Search on this forum or the E-55 forum for what to look for when a crankshaft pulley's rubber fails. If it is dying fix it immediately.

A leaking water pump will get mess onto the belts that is only fixed by replacing all that is junk.

If you're not able to figure it out hire a competent mechanic to do it right the first time. You'll want a hug or time with a blonde to go with.

Last edited by JohnLane; 11-27-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Bulletin board software adds ish...