S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Emergency: Fender Alarm Going off, Cut Wires, Key Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S55 AMG
Emergency: Fender Alarm Going off, Cut Wires, Key Stopped Working

This is a bit of an emergency because my windows are stuck down and I can't get anything in the car to work.

My car has been sitting for weeks, on a battery tender, while I wait to fix some ABC issues. Out of the blue, the alarm starting going off, but in a very whispered/wet speaker kind of sound. It has sometimes done this, but not for weeks and I can stop it by unlocking and locking. That didn't work this time and the alarm had a mind of its own, even though it's been sitting untouched int he driveway for weeks. I even started the car and had it running, locking and unlocking it. In a panic to get the noise to stop, I rip apart the front left fender lining, find the alarm, and since I couldn't get the plug off, I just cut the 3 wires to the alarm. The car instantly shut off and the alarm stopped. I have since learned that the internal battery to the alarm likely has gone bad. However I can no longer get my car to do anything. The key doesn't lock or unlock anymore, the ignition doesn't recognize the key (display says key not recognized) and I can't roll my windows up either.

I can still open and close the trunk via the driver door switch and from the exterior trunk switch, but again, the key does nothing. I have swapped the key battery out with no effect, even though the key was working seconds before. I've checked every fuse in the engine bay and the fuses under the back seat and all of those have continuity. At this point my car is dead with an open window and I can't do anything. From what I have since read about the alarm going bad, it doesn't seem to result in the car going into total lock down when removed.

The car battery is ok because it's been sitting on a tender and started right away when I first when to figure out the alarm going off. Is there a way to reset the whole car and security system? I've disconnected the trunk battery as well without any effect.

I'd appreciate any immediate help available, Thanks!

Last edited by Hubbard 0; 03-29-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 412 Posts
222 S-65
Now you've done it!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Replace the alarm horn

You have cut the battery-backed alarm horn during the classic stolen-car scenario. That’s when an ignorant car thief (let’s pretend you are a thief) has hauled the car away (without a key, or many minutes since a successful key use) and hears the alarm and cuts the wires so the cop doesn’t pull you over in your tow truck.

Alarm system knows not to let you reset the alarm with a key if that horn is not there (even if the alarm horn’s battery was totally dead). If you had pulled the main battery to steal the car, that anti theft horn is supposed to persist. If you installed a fresh main battery, and tried to open the door or trunk with mechanical key, the alarm would go off again until you used the key fob to authorize the access.

So, replace the horn with a new one. Or at least replace with the old one (good luck resoldering that connector.) and then have the key fob ready to unlock/relock/unlock the car to stop it from sounding. Then everything else should be enabled.

You might as well spend the $100-$150 for a new horn with a fresh battery.

if you are a car thief, then a curse on you.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:54 PM

'03 S55 (79K miles)
Considering you have been around for a while...

Ok, checked ur history and see you have been around at least since 2018, so...maybe you are not a thief.

Same advice: replace the alarm horn in the wheel well. These things have rechargeable batteries that eventually wear out. Eliminate your variables.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by GrepAwk
You have cut the battery-backed alarm horn during the classic stolen-car scenario. That’s when an ignorant car thief (let’s pretend you are a thief) has hauled the car away (without a key, or many minutes since a successful key use) and hears the alarm and cuts the wires so the cop doesn’t pull you over in your tow truck.

Alarm system knows not to let you reset the alarm with a key if that horn is not there (even if the alarm horn’s battery was totally dead). If you had pulled the main battery to steal the car, that anti theft horn is supposed to persist. If you installed a fresh main battery, and tried to open the door or trunk with mechanical key, the alarm would go off again until you used the key fob to authorize the access.

So, replace the horn with a new one. Or at least replace with the old one (good luck resoldering that connector.) and then have the key fob ready to unlock/relock/unlock the car to stop it from sounding. Then everything else should be enabled.

You might as well spend the $100-$150 for a new horn with a fresh battery.

if you are a car thief, then a curse on you.
Thank you for the info. I do own the car, no stealing going on here.

I did finally find the bad fuse, located in the passenger side of the dash and replaced that. Of course, I have the car parked tightly against a wall on the passenger side, but just enough room to open the door to get to the fuses. The key was then recognized and the car started right up. I have also soldered the cut wires back together and have a new horn/alarm to go in.

This car has too many fuse boxes...
Old 04-12-2020, 08:15 AM

'03 S55 (79K miles)
Congrats.