S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 AMG - FUEL LEAK - HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
Unhappy S55 AMG - FUEL LEAK - HELP

Hi all, I could really use some help ASAP on how to handle this fuel leak:

Story:

I took my S55 out after a week or so of leaving it parked.

I looked under it before I took it for a drive just to check for leaks (usually I don't)

After a short sprint on the highway, I noticed the smell of gas in the cabin

I opened the window thinking its from outside but it didn't help much

I turned on the vents but had no odor from them

I pulled over to look underneath, didn't see any active leak or wet spots on the underside

Even checked the fuel cap

I cut my drive short and drove back home

I pulled over and now saw what you are about to see in the video

I have a fuel leak from the front / mid left side of the car (under the driver side)

It's leaking from two spots. When the car is on, it leaks from the frontward area

When the car is off, it leaks from the area that looks like fins / gills

Its leaking quite rapidly and I'm not sure what to do.

I put something underneath it to catch the fuel for now but I'm not sure how long it will continue to leak for

The tank is more than half full.

Car background

It stood through winter before I purchased it for at least 5-6 months in one spot (maybe more)

It was buried in snow and needed a new battery which I had to get in order to drive it home

All I've done since purchase is change the HVAC blower motor and change engine oil / filter

It has been running smooth and I drove it a few times but have not driven it daily

Old 04-07-2020, 08:49 AM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Yup, that’s where the fuel line runs.

Don’t smoke.

Start by parking in a spot where you can jack up the left side of the car and putting jack stands under it.

Remove those black plastic belly pans under the drier’s side for the entire length of the car from rear wheel to front. One of the covers near the rear wheel is sort of squarish and it covers the fuel filter and pump outlet.

You will be able to get a peek at the filter and trace the fuel line to your leak. There may also be an evap recovery return line as well (I forget.). Fuel is pressurized by the fuel pump at the gas tank and will leak out of the line at any spot along the way to the engine’s fuel rail connector. There is a fuel pressure test port in the engine bay. You can relieve the pressure at that port. But with the type of leak you are seeing, the pressure is probably dropping after a few seconds of turning off the engine anyway.

If there is a crack or spilt, replace whatever is broken.

Sometimes a leak at the front up at the fuel rail connector can dribble down the line toward where you are seeing it.

Last edited by GrepAwk; 04-07-2020 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 218 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
That’s what it looks like to me. When there’s pressure it leaks from closer to the engine, when not then not. The fact that the car still runs and doesn’t lean out makes me suspect the connection to the rail. I’m just not sure what that connection looks like on a M113. I’ll do some looking around...

maw

EDIT: since you don’t know the car very well, I might start with the Service Valve and Injectors... fuel delivery may be the reason the car was sitting in the first place. This will give you some sense of what the connections look like, if you want to first make sure they are actually tight and haven’t been tampered with... https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...awQwg96BAgBEDs

Last edited by maw1124; 04-07-2020 at 07:16 PM.