S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S65 W221 2006-2007 gets Misfire on high load

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S65 AMG W221 2006-2007
Exclamation S65 W221 2006-2007 gets Misfire on high load

Hi Benzers,

I have this problem with my car for almost 4 months so far with no changes, by the way the car has been at the Mercedes dealership for 10 weeks and they couldn't find the problem, I'll start with a little explanation about the problem then what jobs have been done on the car:

The car as it's written in the title is > Mercedes S65 AMG W221 2006/09 V12 Biturbo 612HP, chassis number/VIN: 221179, Engine: 275.982 E60, left hand steering.

When you drive it calm it's very normal without any problems, BUT when kickdown and the RPM reaches over 5000RPM engine light flashes on and the car loses power, if you try to push the gas paddle you feel the engine goes rough and shakes, at this moment if I stop directly and scan it, it shows those codes:
2051 : Misfiring of cylinder1, damages TWC(P0301)
2054 : Misfiring of cylinder6, damages TWC(P0306)
2050 : Misfiring, damages TWC(P0300)
- But if I keep driving it without stopping after the engine light first blinking so it starts giving same faults to all cylinders : one by one on both banks, I mean 5,2,4,3,12,7... etc
- If I stop and turn off the engine, then start it again, the engine goes back to normal, no rough or shaking, but the engine light keeps on, but again if you go over 5000rpm it blinks and again same issue.

What have been changed on car:
By me:
- 24 new original spark plugs
- Passenger side original ignition coil
- Volt transmitter box
- New air filters
- New AMG Mobile 1 engine oil + oil filter

By Mercedes dealership:
- Passenger side whole bank injectors
- Oil separator valve and pipes
- The whole engine cable harness
Also they checked the ECU if it's tuned, but they found out that it still original software and no modifications on it.
Also they did Compression test on both banks all cylinders and it was OK.

For I forgot something but I'll write it when it comes to my mind.

After all this work it still giving the same fault codes and nothing changed,

I've read somewhere here about same problem with another member, and he solved it by changing the fuel filter, which I ordered it already and waiting the delivery so I'll replace it, this is the plan for now, but also I'm still opened for any suggestions may helps me here.

I'm still energetic and excited to bring this monster back to life.

The following users liked this post:
biker349 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
200ft Passenger Ship, 2016 Camry, 2004 Trailblazer, 2005 S55 AMG
Its most likely the other ignition coil thats causing the fault under heavy demand (load). And or the fuel pump could potentially be on its way out but doubtful.

The coil they replaced could also be faulty. I'd take it to another shop or dealer to see if they can figure it out.

Chris
Sam_AMG (07-02-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 06:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
I just went through almost the exact same situation. Every time I would step hard on the gas the check engine light would flash and would run rough.
Here is what I have done so far.
A few years ago I had the car tuned and it ran awesome for a while and then started misfiring. I ended up putting in a rebuilt passenger side coilpack and new plugs. Soon enough it happened again but this time I had to replace the drivers side coilpack but I put in a new one. All seemed good for a while and then the car when pushed would go into limp mode. It ran smooth as glass but had zero power. I then replaced the VT and she was back to normal. This year after sitting all winter I took the car out and bam the damn thing acted up again. I would get a misfire on 5, 6 and sometimes 12.
So what I did was replace that passenger side rebuilt coilpack with a nice new coilpack. Today I took her out and it was hot as hell and I pushed her hard and low and behold no issues! I am wondering if when you changed out your passenger side coilpack if you were very carefull with it while installing it? From what I have read it is very fragile and can get broken very easily.
I also plan on putting in a new fuel filter once I figure out how to remove my rear power seats.
Hopefully you figure it all out soon because I know it can be very frustrating!
Good luck
Johan
The following 2 users liked this post by DRTYLNDY:
biker349 (03-05-2022), Sam_AMG (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 11:06 AM

S65 AMG W221 2006-2007
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
I just went through almost the exact same situation. Every time I would step hard on the gas the check engine light would flash and would run rough.
Here is what I have done so far.
A few years ago I had the car tuned and it ran awesome for a while and then started misfiring. I ended up putting in a rebuilt passenger side coilpack and new plugs. Soon enough it happened again but this time I had to replace the drivers side coilpack but I put in a new one. All seemed good for a while and then the car when pushed would go into limp mode. It ran smooth as glass but had zero power. I then replaced the VT and she was back to normal. This year after sitting all winter I took the car out and bam the damn thing acted up again. I would get a misfire on 5, 6 and sometimes 12.
So what I did was replace that passenger side rebuilt coilpack with a nice new coilpack. Today I took her out and it was hot as hell and I pushed her hard and low and behold no issues! I am wondering if when you changed out your passenger side coilpack if you were very carefull with it while installing it? From what I have read it is very fragile and can get broken very easily.
I also plan on putting in a new fuel filter once I figure out how to remove my rear power seats.
Hopefully you figure it all out soon because I know it can be very frustrating!
Good luck
Johan
Thank you Johan for your reply it's really appreciated.
Let me share my thoughts with you, at the very beginning before changing the coilpack passenger side the fault was Cylinder 2 and 6 under the load, ang after changing it and replacing the new one also the fault is the same Cylinder 2 and 6 (of course after deleting the fault codes) that's why I didn't get another coilpack because logically it can't be same fault with 2 different coilpacks, or what do you think?
Another question, what is the VT that you mentioned up?

Best regards
Sam
biker349 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 08:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
The VT is what powers both of your coilpacks. They are known to fail overtime as well. It sits on the dead top of the engine and are very easy to replace. Made a world of difference for me.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S65 AMG
Same experience on M275 - Boost pressure is reading same as ambient pressure !

Post having an open injector and survived hydrolocking the engine, I’m experiencing exactly the same misfire on cylinder 6 only on load only past 5000rpm I followed each step mentioned including fuel filter replacement. The car is tunned with kleemann stage 1 and had the cat deleted on top hopping to solve this issue.

im few weeks now on this issue and appreciate feedback from those solved or experienced the same.

Also attached live data read showing boost pressure keeping as of on idle !
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1346.MOV (3.22 MB, 41 views)
biker349 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:51 AM

S65 AMG W221 2006-2007
Originally Posted by mbraoufm
Post having an open injector and survived hydrolocking the engine, I’m experiencing exactly the same misfire on cylinder 6 only on load only past 5000rpm I followed each step mentioned including fuel filter replacement. The car is tunned with kleemann stage 1 and had the cat deleted on top hopping to solve this issue.

im few weeks now on this issue and appreciate feedback from those solved or experienced the same.

Also attached live data read showing boost pressure keeping as of on idle !
Hi,
Your problem looks the same as mine, I solved my problem by installing a new tunned software and every single problem with the misfiring disappeared and problem solved.
The team who found the issue for my car, they put the car on the dyno then tested it until they found out where was the issue.
My advice for you is to start with the dyno and the software as long as your car is tunned like mine and unfortunately for mine they used the wrong software, so maybe, and I am pretty sure they did the same for yours.
br
Old 10-27-2022, 09:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
S65 E320
Oh boy. I have this issue also. Got two new coil packs from Clark Rupp. Spark plugs new. Replaced all 4x 02 sensors , air mass sensor. Problem still there under high load it breaks down.
Just bought new Voltage controller to replace as the electronic components are not top grade with electrolytics which are now 14 years old...
The voltage controller , does this have to be coded by the dealer is it a "$ job". I was thinking I might use Benz Ninja and start a relationship with someone who knows what they are doing.
Someone mentioned a N91 module in another SL600 post.
I love this car, but you have to realise it is a very copmlicated car and now quite old.....its no mustang...thank god

oh my errors were misfire on 4,5,6 but I had new coil packs on both sides from Clark.

Last edited by gfmerc; 10-27-2022 at 09:08 AM. Reason: add info re errors
Old 11-11-2023, 02:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
S65 E320
the problem of misfiring was fixed by a 5 minute swap out of the VT controller, slide the holder to one side and it unclips put the new one in and screw it down....done.