S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Leather airbag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 05:15 PM

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Leather airbag

I have to say I’ve never seen any YouTuber or video or forum thread on this type of easy leather repair.

While working through some interior cleaning, I decided to add a leather air bag. I Haven’t worked through the installation yet, but did make a purchase, and while the pictures looked great online, when the item arrived, it was full of dents.

I’ve discovered what I feel is a magic trick to remove these dents. Online I read about being able to remove debossing in leather by moistening the leather, and heating it up and working the leather with a hard smooth tool to stretch it back to its place. I tried some thing a little bit different which was way easier and took just a few minutes.

I slathered the airbag in leather honey, though I’m sure the conditioner doesn’t matter much and then I used a heat gun on its hottest highest setting, and really heated up the leather to the point where the leather honey was smoking off. I was careful to move the heat around so as to not burn the leather, and of course, never touching the tip of the heat gun to the leather itself. The results are honestly amazing.

This is before even cleaning the air bag. You’ll be able to see a pen mark on the right hand side of the airbag to see that it is the same airbag cause the difference is that dramatic in my opinion.

Please ask me any questions for this amazing result, that has far reaching consequences.

When I initially looked at this, I wondered how I would fix it

Pictures didn’t show these marks, and must’ve come from storage before sale

Look at all the marks in the bottom leather, it’s terrible

This is a close up of the area that was the most damaged in my opinion

This is an after shot, and while you can still see a little bit of marking, this was just my first go around

No, that is even still dirty on the left and has the pen mark on it, but all of the other dents are removed. Now to clean it…