S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

W221 ABC Malfunction only 1 side is lower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 W221 AMG
Question W221 ABC Malfunction only 1 side is lower

Hello, fellas!

Im new in the MB world...and its my first MB, hoping is not the last after the issues i got with the car.

Recently bought a W221 S500 (im from Europe so here is 500 - its basically the same) with ABC.
Went for 2 weeks vacantion, came back and saw my left-front side of the car is lower than the rest.
Even after starting and trying to rise up the car that side is not going up.
Every time i start the car it pop up on yellow - ABC Malfunction on the dash.

Went already to 4 different car service...
1) Sorry we dont have the tech to check your car.
2) I can take a look the car after 6 weeks
3) I dont know nothing about ABC on MB
4) Maybe somewhere the liquids doesnt go to rise your car - gonna look after 2 weeks < so far this is the best option for me and i will wait for the "appointment".

In otherside im very curious if someone has same issue.
I drive on springs currently, good that i got 20"inch rims and the car is not low enough so i can start hitting all the bumps, but still i drive slow when i go over bumps.

I check the fluid - its enough when the engine is on and off.
Anyone face the same issue?
Car drives well, but you are leaning in one side a bit, not going up even if you try to clear the error message with diagnostic.

Greetings

Last edited by Jeez; 08-22-2024 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:01 AM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
W220

I’m not familiar with any changes in W221, as I have the US spec 2003 W220 S55.

However, I am familiar with the ABC system on my car. There are a few things that can cause the system to stay at the wrong level on one side.

A) the ride height sensor on one or both wheels on that side is not working to indicate the current position.

B) lack of electrical signal to the solenoids in the valve block to raise or lower the vehicle.

C) leaking or stuck solenoid in the valve block.

D) pressure sensor for the system is not getting signal back to the controller.

So, check if a mouse chewed through the wires to the sensors and valve block solenoids.

My car has a slow leak in the front valve block for the solenoid which is supposed to hold pressure to the front right wheel at the ride height when the vehicle is off. If I go away for 2 weeks, the right front (only) will sag down. It pops right back up when I start the car. Because it pops back up, I know the ABC system has enough pressure, the pump is working, and the system sees the ride height sensor reporting it is too low, so it toggles the solenoid that raises that wheel.

To fix this, I will have to remove the valve block in the left front wheel well, take out the solenoids, refresh the seals and o-rings, and put it back together.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 236 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
My bet is on (A) as GrepAwk has indicated.

maw

Old 08-23-2024, 01:11 PM

S500 W221 AMG

FRONT - LEFT (driver side)

FRONT - RIGHT side

Hi! Took photo to show you guys what i mean, by its lower. This is how its look like.
I really hope its just the sensor, otherwise i will expect a reparing bill up to 2,000$ if i need to replace the suspension.
Dont mind paying, especially after knowing how smooth the ride is and cornering in higher speed its fun, but since i bought the car (3-4 months) i already spend ;
1) Changing back tires, braking discs and pads = 1000$
2) Oil change = 270$
3) Air intakes (both in & out) + air filter = 230$
4) Fuel pump = 300$
Some of the stuff i did alone, but still im looking already at 2k and now another 2k will make me enjoy the car less. The car cost around 15,000-25,000$ car here in Europe.
And looking forward to change also engine candles, because i feel delay on the accelerating.
I press the gas pedal till the end and from 40 till 100 its like delaying the acceleration and then it take off.
Its like im running out of fuel. A gag or its like you are driving manual and you are on 3rd gear and driving with 10 miles per hour (no enough rpm).

Waiting till begining of September and gonna text again to share what the mechanic guy said and if he really fix the issue.

Thank you for your quick response.

Last edited by Jeez; 08-23-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 236 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
I didn't read your whole post but I did see the pictures.

Disconnect the negative battery overnight. Plug it in on either the :00 or the :30 to help it resync the clocks, and see what you get.

If the same thing, have him check the ride height sensors individually.

Dollars to donuts they're either dead or mis-calibrated. My guess is miscalibrated. If they were dead you'd be sitting a LOT lower.

Short answer is, this is user error not a big bill.

GL, keep us posted.

maw
Old 08-28-2024, 10:09 AM

S500 W221 AMG
Yesterday i hold the brakes and press the gas pedal hardly (simualting launch control take off) and something happen to the car and now it stays still and normal level.

I assume there is some difficulty for the fuild to go where supposed to go to rise the car up.
I still got ABC Malfunction (yellow) error on my screen every time when i start up the car. Not ignorying it i totally want to be checked and fixed, but maybe sensor is not reading well.

I got now another issue of delay power while accelarating and weird vibration while accelarating.
I think is the candles (sprak plugs) gonna go to service next week so i assume everything to be fixed.

So to everyone with the same issue - try that it worked for me.
I also recomment to go to your car service garage and let them take a look.
Old 08-29-2024, 07:50 AM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2005 S55 AMG, 2001 SL500
Originally Posted by Jeez
Hello, fellas!

Im new in the MB world...and its my first MB, hoping is not the last after the issues i got with the car.

Recently bought a W221 S500 (im from Europe so here is 500 - its basically the same) with ABC.
Went for 2 weeks vacantion, came back and saw my left-front side of the car is lower than the rest.
Even after starting and trying to rise up the car that side is not going up.
Every time i start the car it pop up on yellow - ABC Malfunction on the dash.

Went already to 4 different car service...
1) Sorry we dont have the tech to check your car.
2) I can take a look the car after 6 weeks
3) I dont know nothing about ABC on MB
4) Maybe somewhere the liquids doesnt go to rise your car - gonna look after 2 weeks < so far this is the best option for me and i will wait for the "appointment".

In otherside im very curious if someone has same issue.
I drive on springs currently, good that i got 20"inch rims and the car is not low enough so i can start hitting all the bumps, but still i drive slow when i go over bumps.

I check the fluid - its enough when the engine is on and off.
Anyone face the same issue?
Car drives well, but you are leaning in one side a bit, not going up even if you try to clear the error message with diagnostic.

Greetings
My driver's rear drops overnight occasionally. Maybe 4X in the last couple months. No fluid loss. No overflow from reservoir. No warning lights. No messages. Car levels back up as soon as started. ABC system works perfectly otherwise. According to this document (which is an essential tool for any owner of an ABC equipped car by the way) Mercedes Benz ABC System Troubleshooting Guide.pdf the only explanation for my issue is a leaking rear valve block. (Bottom of page 24) I agree with Greg that your issue may be the sensor and that might be confirmed in the troubleshooting guide. Good Luck!

Last edited by CICBarkeep; 08-29-2024 at 07:55 AM.