S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

C217/A217 models going forward /MBUX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
C217/A217 models going forward /MBUX

Based on what I've read over the past year, the S65 was to be discontinued (indeed happened for MY2020), the S Cabriolets will be discontinued after MY2020 (absorbed by the next generation 2+2 SL), and the S Coupe may continue production into the next decade without substantial changes i.e. no new model based on W223 or major upgrades i.e. MBUX, rear wheel steering, multibeam headlamps, etc. Only change for MY202 is the U88 Steering Wheel buttons, which is nice, and a silly aerodynamics package. Can anyone with more direct knowledge of MB plans confirm or have other information regarding the C217 going forward ?

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on ordering a MY2020 S63 Coupe, the AMG S Coupe really checks all the boxes for me. But I really wish Mercedes would maintain their S Class flagships with the latest tech. If the S Coupe would get an update with MBUX in the future, I'd just keep my 2015 another year or two and wait, since I know a software upgrade will never be offered, but sadly sounds as if this isn't in the plans for the C217. Also really wish Mercedes retained the buttons in between the 12.3" displays in the refresh, instead they chose to eliminate controls I actually use (seatbelt extension and passenger seat control) to preserve ones I never use (rear headrest lower and sunshade). I get they wanted a uninterrupted piece of glass in the refresh, but it sure would have made more sense to use replace the physical buttons with haptic touch sensitive controls, and leave the door buttons (passenger seat and memory #3) alone. The passenger airbag warning is still there, after all. The rear seat headrest and sunshade could also have been added to COMAND, instead of replacing more used buttons. Also can't understand why the S63 doesn't get the same dash displays as other models, classic plus sport/supersport, as sport/progressive are basically the same thing. Maybe someone will eventually hack COMAND to do that.

Multibeam headlights would have been nice too, although if I had choose between them and the Swarovski ILS I'd take the latter anyway, as I'm a sucker for automotive jewelry plus they are unique to the C217 Mercedes/Maybach Coupes.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
I agree and lament with all that. It looks like with a big uptick in their Insta feed MB are starting to promote the Vision 6 as the new halo cars, so indeed the 217 may be at a dead end. Now that I’ve used MBUX for a while, I HATE using the COMAND in my A217. Likewise with the transmission: after driving electric cars, the huge delay in the horrible MCT is so infuriating.