S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

Carbon ceramic brakes on S65 coupe questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 11:32 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Originally Posted by okbarnett
youch, there must be some thickness spec to check the wear. Or some visual inspection to notice if they are wearing too much.
Nope. Ceramic get weighed as stated above

Originally Posted by thphon
interesting, do you know what's the minimum weight or any other measure to have as baseline?
Thanks
It is written on the rotor hat. I'll drop a pic here tomorrow when I get to the shop.
The following users liked this post:
thphon (11-02-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 11:10 AM

S 63 Coupe, GLS 63

Old 11-03-2020, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 167 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
do they get wear marks and lips
Old 11-03-2020, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1989 560 SEC, 2008 SL65 AMG
and what does that weight mean in the end? when it reaches that it has to be replaced?
I read somewhere that pads should be replaced before they get to 30% otherwise they could damage the rotors, any truth in that?
And thanks for the pictures
Old 11-03-2020, 01:45 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
How dare you post about a S65 and post no pictures!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
How dare you post about a S65 and post no pictures!
hahaha but I haven't bought it yet
Old 11-03-2020, 01:55 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
hahaha but I haven't bought it yet
Ah ha, pardon me, guess it pays to read the actual thread lol. I was excited to see the top dog GL to ya
Old 11-03-2020, 01:58 PM

hahaha thanks, I will surely post a picture (or many) if I end up getting it
Old 11-04-2020, 09:40 AM

S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
do they get wear marks and lips
No lip or wear marks. You just look for any physical damage and cracks or pieces missing due to debris hitting it

and what does that weight mean in the end? when it reaches that it has to be replaced?
I read somewhere that pads should be replaced before they get to 30% otherwise they could damage the rotors, any truth in that?
And thanks for the pictures
That is the minimum weight. I do not know what the new weight is for comparison but you remove the rotor, clean it and weigh it. If it is at or below that weight it requires replacement. As for the pads yes once they are around 20% life left I'd replace them.
thphon (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 PM
haa

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
That is the minimum weight. I do not know what the new weight is for comparison but you remove the rotor, clean it and weigh it. If it is at or below that weight it requires replacement. As for the pads yes once they are around 20% life left I'd replace them.[/QUOTE]

Any issues with waiting until the brake sensor light illuminates? Also the curved grooves on the steel AMG rotors, I was told they are wear indicators, is that correct?
Old 11-05-2020, 10:03 AM

S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Any issues with waiting until the brake sensor light illuminates? Also the curved grooves on the steel AMG rotors, I was told they are wear indicators, is that correct?
I wouldn't want to trash a $4,000 CCB rotor just because I waited for a sensor light to turn on, but that's just me. The sensor doesn't always come on before damage is done FYI.
As for the grooves I have no idea as I never paid attention, my guys always measure iron rotor thickness with a micrometer when checking brakes, which is the proper way to do it.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Ceramic rotors are not measured for thickness to check for wear. They must be removed and weighed to determine if they are worn out

I was waiting for someone to post this -

Thank-You -

There has been a lot of mis-information posted in this thread -

If one was to do a SEARCH for CCB information it has all been

posted in this sub-forum ad nauseam -

This sub-forum is your best source for correct information / answers

to your C217 questions however you will always find posts by members

that don't know what they are talking about -

By reading this thread you will understand what I mean -

Was it not Confucius who once said:

"It is better to remain silent and thought the fool

than to speak and remove all doubt" -

You would be remiss if you do not do a PPI

at a Mercedes AMG dealership

on any used AMG that is not a CPO no matter

where the car is located -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 AM

S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Originally Posted by COOPERDB
`

I was waiting for someone to post this -

Thank-You -

There has been a lot of mis-information posted in this thread -

If one was to do a SEARCH for CCB information it has all been

posted in this sub-forum ad nauseam -

This sub-forum is your best source for correct information / answers

to your C217 questions however you will always find posts by members

that don't know what they are talking about -

By reading this thread you will understand what I mean -

Was it not Confucius who once said:

"It is better to remain silent and thought the fool

than to speak and remove all doubt" -

You would be remiss if you do not do a PPI

at a Mercedes AMG dealership

on any used AMG that is not a CPO no matter

where the car is located -

Thank-You
D.B.

Agreed and unfortunately a PPI at a dealer may not be thorough enough to catch these type of things. MB of Lakeland FL dealership botched the PPI horribly on the S63 that I purchased and wouldn't stand behind anything they did. BEWARE!!
Old 11-06-2020, 10:25 AM

Agreed and unfortunately a PPI at a dealer may not be thorough enough to catch these type of things. MB of Lakeland FL dealership botched the PPI horribly on the S63 that I purchased and wouldn't stand behind anything they did. BEWARE!!
that's scary! I was considering taking it to one of the two in Orlando
Old 11-06-2020, 10:43 AM

S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
that's scary! I was considering taking it to one of the two in Orlando
This is the review I left for them(Fields Motorcars/MB of Lakeland FL) with the story of what happened. For reference I own a Mercedes only repair shop in the mid-atlantic, am a former Master certified MB tech with 20 years experience and currently employ 4 other master MB techs at my shop, so I'm not just some Joe off the street or forum keyboard warrior.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
"I was purchasing a vehicle online from a place local to Fields Mercedes of Lakeland. I asked the seller to have the Mercedes dealership perform an oil change and pre-purchase inspection (PPI) to verify the vehicle was in as advertised condition prior to me flying into town from 1,000 miles away to buy a $90,000 used Mercedes and driving it 1,000 miles home. A proper and thorough PPI will evaluate the entire vehicle for accident/flood damage, wear, worn components, neglected and/or needed maintenance items, visible abuse, proper operation of all components and systems, overall condition of the entire vehicle, etc... as you don't want an unexpected $3-5-8,000 repair bill shortly after purchasing a car! I was informed the cost of the PPI was $299.95 which I felt was fair and had no issue with, as they are professionals and know these vehicles from top to bottom, or so I thought....

Boy was I wrong....Not only did they not perform a thorough and proper pre-purchase inspection they missed almost $3,000 in needed repairs to the vehicle (dynamic seats inoperative and keyless go system inoperative) which were easily found myself by reading the diagnostic report that was finally provided to me AFTER I questioned the $299.95 charge for nothing more than the 10 minute routine inspection that is performed when you take the car in for an oil change. When I questioned Rick Greene, the service manager of the dealership, about the complete and utter lack of detail in the inspection report he was unwilling to provide any further information than "the car is in great shape" and "all functions operate as designed" when questioned about faults I saw on the diagnostic report, "We would have mentioned in the report any issues" I was told. I again explained that the report was incomplete and severely lacking info and details of items like brake rotor wear and was told "We do not measure brake rotors for wear". The brake rotors on this vehicle are in excess of $1150 EACH, wouldn't you want to know if you may need to replace them soon if you were purchasing a used vehicle???? This is exactly the type of information a proper PPI report gives the customer so they can either:
A) Negotiate with the seller on price
B) Budget for the needed repairs
C) Find a different vehicle to purchase

Rick Greene (service manager) was unwilling to facilitate any further inspection or gather any further info about the honest condition of the vehicle. He was only concerned that I pay his $299.95 invoice for a report that was absolutely NOT a pre-purchase inspection that I had asked to be done. In reality it was nothing more than a poorly performed oil change inspection. You know...the same one they do when your vehicle comes in for an oil change and they look for items to upsell to you that you may or may not need? I ended up purchasing the vehicle anyway even though it had a few issues that I negotiated pricing with the seller to compensate.

I DO NOT recommend this service department to anyone looking for honest repairs or opinions about a vehicle they own or may purchase."
Old 11-06-2020, 10:56 AM

This is the review I left for them(Fields Motorcars/MB of Lakeland FL) with the story of what happened. For reference I own a Mercedes only repair shop in the mid-atlantic, am a former Master certified MB tech with 20 years experience and currently employ 4 other master MB techs at my shop, so I'm not just some Joe off the street or forum keyboard warrior.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
"I was purchasing a vehicle online from a place local to Fields Mercedes of Lakeland. I asked the seller to have the Mercedes dealership perform an oil change and pre-purchase inspection (PPI) to verify the vehicle was in as advertised condition prior to me flying into town from 1,000 miles away to buy a $90,000 used Mercedes and driving it 1,000 miles home. A proper and thorough PPI will evaluate the entire vehicle for accident/flood damage, wear, worn components, neglected and/or needed maintenance items, visible abuse, proper operation of all components and systems, overall condition of the entire vehicle, etc... as you don't want an unexpected $3-5-8,000 repair bill shortly after purchasing a car! I was informed the cost of the PPI was $299.95 which I felt was fair and had no issue with, as they are professionals and know these vehicles from top to bottom, or so I thought....

Boy was I wrong....Not only did they not perform a thorough and proper pre-purchase inspection they missed almost $3,000 in needed repairs to the vehicle (dynamic seats inoperative and keyless go system inoperative) which were easily found myself by reading the diagnostic report that was finally provided to me AFTER I questioned the $299.95 charge for nothing more than the 10 minute routine inspection that is performed when you take the car in for an oil change. When I questioned Rick Greene, the service manager of the dealership, about the complete and utter lack of detail in the inspection report he was unwilling to provide any further information than "the car is in great shape" and "all functions operate as designed" when questioned about faults I saw on the diagnostic report, "We would have mentioned in the report any issues" I was told. I again explained that the report was incomplete and severely lacking info and details of items like brake rotor wear and was told "We do not measure brake rotors for wear". The brake rotors on this vehicle are in excess of $1150 EACH, wouldn't you want to know if you may need to replace them soon if you were purchasing a used vehicle???? This is exactly the type of information a proper PPI report gives the customer so they can either:
A) Negotiate with the seller on price
B) Budget for the needed repairs
C) Find a different vehicle to purchase

Rick Greene (service manager) was unwilling to facilitate any further inspection or gather any further info about the honest condition of the vehicle. He was only concerned that I pay his $299.95 invoice for a report that was absolutely NOT a pre-purchase inspection that I had asked to be done. In reality it was nothing more than a poorly performed oil change inspection. You know...the same one they do when your vehicle comes in for an oil change and they look for items to upsell to you that you may or may not need? I ended up purchasing the vehicle anyway even though it had a few issues that I negotiated pricing with the seller to compensate.

I DO NOT recommend this service department to anyone looking for honest repairs or opinions about a vehicle they own or may purchase."
that's terrible! and you know what to look for, imagine me?
When I spoke to a dealership close to where the car was in LA, they said that they would do the brakes inspection for free (but at the time I didn't know you have to weight the rotors and I'm guessing they wouldn't do that for free) and a PPI was $215 (an hour labor) which sounded reasonable and at least over the phone, they seemed willing to work with me to address things I pointed out. Since the dealer had to ship it at their expense to Florida, I'll have to do a PPI over here and I'm not feeling too confident, not just because of what you said but my previous experiences as well.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:05 PM

S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
that's terrible! and you know what to look for, imagine me?
When I spoke to a dealership close to where the car was in LA, they said that they would do the brakes inspection for free (but at the time I didn't know you have to weight the rotors and I'm guessing they wouldn't do that for free) and a PPI was $215 (an hour labor) which sounded reasonable and at least over the phone, they seemed willing to work with me to address things I pointed out. Since the dealer had to ship it at their expense to Florida, I'll have to do a PPI over here and I'm not feeling too confident, not just because of what you said but my previous experiences as well.
Totally agree. I was up front and honest with the seller and the dealership about my credentials and what I expected and the dealer still dropped the ball. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the Orlando area that owns a shop to refer you to. I have people I'd trust in other parts of Florida, but not Orlando.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:45 PM

Totally agree. I was up front and honest with the seller and the dealership about my credentials and what I expected and the dealer still dropped the ball. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the Orlando area that owns a shop to refer you to. I have people I'd trust in other parts of Florida, but not Orlando.
I'm willing to drive 100 miles for a reliable shop, anybody in that range you can think of?
Old 11-06-2020, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First, did you buy a ppi or a complete cpo inspection? the reason you ask for a cpo is because this checks everything to qualify a car to be cpo ed. So I dont know exactly what you were starting with.
I can make a call saturday, and talk with my friend at tampa mb. I can ask if he will guarantee a good inspection.
Im assuming if you pay for it, they will do it.
And they should be able to go over the master service history, even though they cant let you have it.
Otherwise I dont have any knowledge of out of tpa dealers.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:08 PM

First, did you buy a ppi or a complete cpo inspection? the reason you ask for a cpo is because this checks everything to qualify a car to be cpo ed. So I dont know exactly what you were starting with.
I can make a call saturday, and talk with my friend at tampa mb. I can ask if he will guarantee a good inspection.
Im assuming if you pay for it, they will do it.
And they should be able to go over the master service history, even though they cant let you have it.
Otherwise I dont have any knowledge of out of tpa dealers.
I appreciate that, I think it will take a couple more weeks for the car to arrive to Orlando. The inspection would be post purchase but I have 7 days to return it no questions asked, so going to Tampa for a proper inspection is more than worth it.
As for the inspection itself, the car will come with extended warranty but I see your point, asking for a CPO inspection would be more thorough because they'll try to avoid to get themselves into problems.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok send me a message and I will talk with you on the phone about it, when you get the car and are ready.
thphon (11-07-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thphon (12-01-2020)