S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

Bluetooth BTAudio A217 Issue Resolved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz S63 AMG Cabriolet
Bluetooth BTAudio A217 Issue Resolved

Wanted to share this in case it saves others from confusion and frustration. This is related to my new-to-me 2017 S63 AMG Cabriolet (A217).

While getting home to Mississippi from Naples Florida, about halfway home, after stopping for a 5 minute break, the Bluetooth audio simply stopped working and was stuck on “activating BTAudio” and sat there endlessly. I searched and did all the usual things (disconnect, reconnect, deauthorize, re-pair, etc etc etc) but nothing worked. I stopped short of wiping my phone (2020 iPhone SE) as I had a suspicion that the problem laid on the car side (and it worked perfectly for the 5 days in Florida and 6 hours of driving prior).

I eventually found a very obscure article that is so obscure I cannot find it to link here.

The critical step was to HOLD the DVD load/eject button on the single disc player behind the cup holder in the center console (under the ashtray) for 10 seconds, which apparently causes a full reset of the COMAND Infotainment system while the vehicle is running. The NAV/system reset and showed the AMG logo. After performing this step, everything worked like magic. Take note, steps may be different for other vehicles, especially E, C etc, but this is the procedure for the A217 and from what I saw in the article perhaps other S class models as well (2017/2018, possibly earlier).

I hope this helps others who run into the same problem. In my case, it caused a one day delay in my trip as I sat in the parking lot of a McDonalds somewhere in rural Florida pulling my hair out until I found the obscure article.

Big thanks to the anonymous poster as well for the archived article from 2017-ish that saved me at a rural McDonalds!