Passenger air bag warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 SL500 (Euro)
Passenger air bag warning

Hello

I have a 2018 C217, purchased two years ago with about 25,000 miles on it. The prior owner had run it through rushing water on the road, bending a push rod. estimate for a new engine was 90k. Insurance totaled it out. I bought it from the mechanic who fixed it

Two years and 10,000 miles later, the engine runs fine, no other mechanical problems but there is one gremlin. Moments after anyone large enough to turn the airbag on sits in it while it's running/moving, "passenger airbag off" light comes on and stays on.

If there is no passenger, the passenger airbag off is lit,. (not sure if that is normal or not). Randomly, I get a message on the instrument cluster that the the passenger airbag requires servicing. About 10 seconds later, another message comes up, active braking assist not functioning.

I have no way of knowing if either of these features is in fact disabled or if there is just some disconnect between the sensor and the messaging system that alerts the driver

Large experienced Mercedes dealer has replaced some chips to no avail. Their next suggestion is purchase a new seat bottom, $10,000 because it's "hand stitched". Even after doing so, there is no guarantee the problem will be resolved.

FYI, the interior of the car did not take on any water when the pushrod went out. I had that thoroughly checked out so I do not believe there is a short but maybe.

Welcome any input