S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

Just ordered 2020, question on options I can still change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2019 | 08:41 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Just ordered 2020, question on options I can still change

I have just ordered 2020 and have another couple of weeks before options are locked in. Couple of questions I would appreciate insights and opinions on

1. I currently have CF/DINAMICA steering wheel selected and questioning if DINAMICA is something that will hold it's shape in a daily driver car (and I get around 10K miles). I tend to keep cars for roughly 3 to 4 years and usually both exterior and interior is kept in "as new" conditions. Thoughts and observations on your state of DINAMICA wheel after coupled of years of usage?
2. Car is ordered with regular breaks and reading through the notes of 20-30K interval between rather expensive break jobs as well as the explicit recommendation from the dealership to prepay next break job at a discount I wonder if CCB would be a good investment. Obvious concern - CCB are built for track usage and not daily driving, references of squeaking do not help either (and I had to push my local BMW dealerships through a lot of hassle with my M5 breaks). Any observations on the experience both normal and CCB?
3. Wheel option - I set it up with twin 5-spoke but there are not many pictures that would show it beyond what's on MB site. Anyone with the same wheels who can post some pictures at difference angles? My other option would be cross-spoke in silver that has plenty of online presence in images.
4. Current setup is with default audio and I have not had a chance to listen side by side default and 3d. I have home system built around Golden Ear Triton Ones that gives a good listening experience (thinking back, I should have gone with Reference) and used predominately with high fidelity and multi-channel content). I have B&O in M5 right now that does a good job but mostly streams Spotify (and plays same multi-channel content once in a blue moon). I would really appreciate comments on the default vs. 3d on high fidelity content as well as content like Spotify and Pandora.
5. Car is setup with Anthracite Blue and there are none with the same color locally to look at. Hard to tell from the pictures if it is more blue or more grey, would appreciate comments and pictures if you have one.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
S63AMG888 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019 | 11:39 AM

2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
Get the CCB’s, and read the many threads on the topic.

Dinamica lasts fine and I like it when driving fast on twisty roads.

get the 3D sound system. Same goes for all the premium options. It is worth it!

Don’t cut corners and you’re going to have an amazing experience when you pick up you new coupe.
S63AMG888 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019 | 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Exhausting -

If you are keeping the car for 4 years

you will incur at least one $6K+ brake job -

Maybe two -

But more than the money the CCB's transform

The Coupe's driving experience -

Here are two threads that you should read that

contain posts explaining why you want to check

the CCB box when ordering your car -

https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-4...i-ordered.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-4...-upgrades.html

Take the time to read thru the C217 sub-forum threads -

The C217 sub-forum is your best source of information

on the internet for the S63 Coupe -

As for " CCB are built for track usage and not daily driving "

that falls into what I call the mis-information category -

CCB's will offer you a driving experience beyond what

the standard OEM Iron brakes can give you -

Thank-you
D.B.

Igor Sakhnov (08-06-2019)
Old 08-05-2019 | 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

What dealership are you ordering your car thru -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 08-06-2019 | 12:08 AM

2020 S63 Coupe
Thanks for references, I have missed Dan’s thread earlier and will have more questions to Dan once coupe arrives

I’ve ordered through Bellevue with Gregg.
Old 08-06-2019 | 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

The guys manning the computers at

the parts counter at MB of Bellevue are

extremely competent at looking up parts

by your Vin number -

In their service area they have an AMG tech -

He is not at the counter where the service writers

are but over on the other side in an office -

If your service writer needs help with an AMG

question he is the go to guy -

Take the time you have to change your order

and think about how you want/use the car but

remember that some choices can be costly -

Macallan 18 is recommended -

Please keep this thread updated -

Thank-You
D.B.

Dan_B (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019 | 01:47 AM

2020 S63 Coupe
Gregg is the AMG guy and I believe he is in Germany at AMG facility as of today.

I read the threads and CCB is still a question for me given that I was not terribly impressed with BMWs M3/4/6 on the track days BMW runs yearly due to a lot of noise and feel at the cold start. I have no plans on taking S63 to the track, the question is purely about daily driving usability.

Thanks again for the info!!!

I'll have mine with Hardy or Hine
Old 08-06-2019 | 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I had alcantara wheel in my old S8 Plus, put almost 50k miles on it in 3 years.
The material became a bit smoother looking, a bit shiny, lost that uniform matte look.
All in all I was happy, it is very durable stuff, I bought my S63 with DINAMICA wheel also, plan to keep that car for 3 years max.
Old 08-06-2019 | 04:55 PM

2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Dinamica wheels tend to get dirty over time and then they are impossible to clean. That's the No.1 complaint with them.
Old 08-06-2019 | 10:15 PM

2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
I have never had a problem cleaning them with a bit of anti-microbial liquid, and it makes gripping the wheel at twisty roads add confidence when pushing the coupe hard (which is heavenly).

also, for the cold and wet NW, the heated windshield, night view assist, and magic sky roof (can’t recall the name) are great options in addition to the CCB and upgraded 3D sound system.

DB is the fountain of knowledge and has outstanding eye for beauty and details.

Last edited by Dan_B; 08-08-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2019 | 01:39 PM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Igor Sakhnov
I have just ordered 2020 and have another couple of weeks before options are locked in. Couple of questions I would appreciate insights and opinions on

1. I currently have CF/DINAMICA steering wheel selected and questioning if DINAMICA is something that will hold it's shape in a daily driver car (and I get around 10K miles). I tend to keep cars for roughly 3 to 4 years and usually both exterior and interior is kept in "as new" conditions. Thoughts and observations on your state of DINAMICA wheel after coupled of years of usage?
2. Car is ordered with regular breaks and reading through the notes of 20-30K interval between rather expensive break jobs as well as the explicit recommendation from the dealership to prepay next break job at a discount I wonder if CCB would be a good investment. Obvious concern - CCB are built for track usage and not daily driving, references of squeaking do not help either (and I had to push my local BMW dealerships through a lot of hassle with my M5 breaks). Any observations on the experience both normal and CCB?
3. Wheel option - I set it up with twin 5-spoke but there are not many pictures that would show it beyond what's on MB site. Anyone with the same wheels who can post some pictures at difference angles? My other option would be cross-spoke in silver that has plenty of online presence in images.
4. Current setup is with default audio and I have not had a chance to listen side by side default and 3d. I have home system built around Golden Ear Triton Ones that gives a good listening experience (thinking back, I should have gone with Reference) and used predominately with high fidelity and multi-channel content). I have B&O in M5 right now that does a good job but mostly streams Spotify (and plays same multi-channel content once in a blue moon). I would really appreciate comments on the default vs. 3d on high fidelity content as well as content like Spotify and Pandora.
5. Car is setup with Anthracite Blue and there are none with the same color locally to look at. Hard to tell from the pictures if it is more blue or more grey, would appreciate comments and pictures if you have one.

Thanks!
Have some different opinion than others about these matters:

Originally Posted by amir1
Dinamica wheels tend to get dirty over time and then they are impossible to clean. That's the No.1 complaint with them.
1. Totally agree, I find the full leather steering wheel the only viable option if you want to keep your car for long time and have it look and feel like new. But ok, I am also not for bi-color, and bi-material steering wheels or designs in any form.

2. Drove a pre-facelift S63 with normal brakes for 80K km in 3 years, only 1 time brake change. If you drive somewhat dynamic on normal roads, use downshifts to brake, not the brakes. I almost never drive in Automatic/D(rive). On the track: use the brakes as much as possible if you want to have the best lap times!
Test drove the facelifted S63 with CCBs, pedal feel is better, more direct, and your wheels stay clean. Still, I bought my new S63 with normal brakes again.

3. and 5. You can look for many real life pics of different wheel types and coulours / colors on many car sites, like www.mobile.de or www.autogespot.com (there you also can find the particular blue coulour / color probably :-))
BTW, the silver cross-spokes look very very cool in real-life! :-)

4. Would at least go for the Burmeister Audio (one level above "standard audio" over here), The high-end 3D not only gives more volume, but beware, also takes more volume...........from your trunk space, especially in depth (look specs for exact luggage volume that is deleted because of this upgrade).

And...........I would definitely go for the U88 performance steering wheel buttons (only possible on MY20 cars!).

Enjoy!

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 08-09-2019 at 01:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HAWKiS63:
Dan_B (08-18-2019), Heisenberg (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019 | 03:58 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Have some different opinion than others about these matters:

1. Totally agree, I find the full leather steering wheel the only viable option if you want to keep your car for long time and have it look and feel like new. But ok, I am also not for bi-color, and bi-material steering wheels or designs in any form.

2. Drove a pre-facelift S63 with normal brakes for 80K km in 3 years, only 1 time brake change. If you drive somewhat dynamic on normal roads, use downshifts to brake, not the brakes. I almost never drive in Automatic/D(rive). On the track: use the brakes as much as possible if you want to have the best lap times!
Test drove the facelifted S63 with CCBs, pedal feel is better, more direct, and your wheels stay clean. Still, I bought my new S63 with normal brakes again.

3. and 5. You can look for many real life pics of different wheel types and coulours / colors on many car sites, like www.mobile.de or www.autogespot.com (there you also can find the particular blue coulour / color probably :-))
BTW, the silver cross-spokes look very very cool in real-life! :-)

4. Would at least go for the Burmeister Audio (one level above "standard audio" over here), The high-end 3D not only gives more volume, but beware, also takes more volume...........from your trunk space, especially in depth (look specs for exact luggage volume that is deleted because of this upgrade).

And...........I would definitely go for the U88 performance steering wheel buttons (only possible on MY20 cars!).

Enjoy!
Thanks! Great catch on the buttons - they were not compatible with the CF/dinamica before I removed it. Thanks for the site references, some great pictures. Burmeister is the default choice in US, not concerned volume wise as it will mostly carry my and kid's backpacks to work/school
Old 08-12-2019 | 01:18 AM

2020 S63 Coupe
So, I was able to see anthracite blue (on a sedan) last Saturday and I’m underwhelmed. It’s too gray and in Seattle area it will have a little chance to shine blue. Looked at lunar blue, emerald green, iridium silver and didn’t care for any of them either. This leaves black or white and I’m not yet ready for another black car - will be making a change to a diamond white with a black cross-spoke wheels.