Sponsored by:

2019 S63 Rear Brakes Squealing Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 03:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by superswiss
Noises are often very hard to track down, but even if they hear it, they work within a framework that's given to them by the manufacturer. Once they confirm the noise, they will scour their database for a know solution. If they come up empty handed, then they might be at a loss. That's essentially what happened in my case. Apparently nothing came up in the system for the symptoms I reported. It's actually not easy for them to get warranty claims approved. They have to follow specific protocols to prove to MB/AMG that there is an issue. If AMG says there is no issue, then they can't do much. You may not realize, but they are often as frustrated as the customers are and are at the mercy of the manufacturer. I had several conversations with my SA about this. It gets easier if you have a relationship with the SA and they know you are not full of it. Unfortunately, they get a lot of entitled airheads demanding all kinds of things. It takes some legwork on your part unfortunately. A used car is also tougher, because you don't even know the true history of the car. In my case it was a lot easier, because I bought the car new from the same dealership, and I had established a relationship with my service advisor and the service manager knew me as well from an earlier issue.

As for escalating it. If they come back with no solution, then you have to request to get AMG involved. They have internal processes to raise an issue directly with AMG. Basically, they open a support ticket with AMG and request help from an engineer. It can go as far as AMG Germany actually flying out an engineer to diagnose the issue. I've gone through that with other manufacturers, specifically Audi. In that case I had help, because the son of the regional director worked at that particular Audi dealership and they were one of the top dealerships in the country, so they had quite some pull with the mothership. I had a leaking transmission that was discovered during the first service and the first attempt to fix it didn't take, so I brought the car back, and two days later an engineer from Germany was looking at my car and together they resolved the issue. I know MB/AMG suspended the traveling engineers during the pandemic and I don't know if the resumed it. What I heard was they were doing video conferencing now in lieu of the engineer physically flying out. But again, a lot of it also comes down to the history you have with the dealership.
This car has been 80% serviced at this mbenz dealership. Big dealership too. My sales guy asked the previous owner if he heard any similar noise in his ownership, guy said no. So this is a new issue, most likely the brake pads / rotors, imo. Car drives fine, no issue, but the noise is a *****.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,534 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Vanquish59
This car has been 80% serviced at this mbenz dealership. Big dealership too. My sales guy asked the previous owner if he heard any similar noise in his ownership, guy said no. So this is a new issue, most likely the brake pads / rotors, imo. Car drives fine, no issue, but the noise is a *****.
I see. That history should help you. I forgot to ask, are you a member of the AMG Private Lounge yet? It's an exclusive AMG sponsored community for AMG owners. They have a forum where AMG itself is actively participating and helping members with issues. If you post there, they will likely respond to you and request your information and then look into the issue directly and assist from their end. This is one of the best ways for us to get help directly from AMG.

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/home-c.html
The following users liked this post:
Vanquish59 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 03:42 AM

2019 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by superswiss
I see. That history should help you. I forgot to ask, are you a member of the AMG Private Lounge yet? It's an exclusive AMG sponsored community for AMG owners. They have a forum where AMG itself is actively participating and helping members with issues. If you post there, they will likely respond to you and request your information and then look into the issue directly and assist from their end. This is one of the best ways for us to get help directly from AMG.

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/home-c.html
Thank you so much for all your help today, will join the lounge and keep you updated on the issue.
superswiss (07-13-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 03:03 AM

2019 S63 AMG
I'm on day 8 and no valid reply from the dealer. Nothing, asked for updates, said can't duplicate noise, I said find another technician, now waiting for response. Worst experience, need a good indy afterwards.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:53 AM
SPONSOR

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
I'm on day 8 and no valid reply from the dealer. Nothing, asked for updates, said can't duplicate noise, I said find another technician, now waiting for response. Worst experience, need a good indy afterwards.
they're the absolute worst. if it involves a possible warranty scenario they'll play blind deaf and dumb. If your CV boot was weeping a slight amount of grease from the boot through the crimp (it's pretty normal) they wouldn't hesistate to ask you for $2000 though. The mercedes brake compounds are rather aggressive. It's not exclusive to Mercedes, Audi uses a ton of metal in their pads too and the size of the brake discs don't help the situation. Your rotors aren't exactly in perfect shape per se I think a fresh set will alleviate what youre worried about, installed properly, cleanly, with ample lubrication.

have an indy install something like this, if you can BYOP that'll solve it. It's like 3 hours at $150 market rate for labor, offer to pay more for BYOP to offset their losses.

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 07-15-2023, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 374 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I would simply go pick the car up and take it to a different dealer if the car is still under warranty. When I first got my S63 it would randomly activate the blind spot assist plus and swerve to the right while applying the brakes at freeway speeds in traffic. It was actually a very dangerous situation and I took it to one dealer who claimed they could not find any problem with the car. Kept it for weeks with no resolution. Finally gave up and was ready to just sell the car and move on but thought I would try a different dealer. At first they could not find any problems but then the car did the same thing with the tech and he dug into it as he realized how dangerous this could be. They replaced one rear radar sensor and the car has been fine ever since.

One thing I am finding in my area is that quality technicians are nearly impossible to find even at the dealership. Especially AMG techs. Sounds like you have a dealer with incompetent techs.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:36 PM

2019 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
they're the absolute worst. if it involves a possible warranty scenario they'll play blind deaf and dumb. If your CV boot was weeping a slight amount of grease from the boot through the crimp (it's pretty normal) they wouldn't hesistate to ask you for $2000 though. The mercedes brake compounds are rather aggressive. It's not exclusive to Mercedes, Audi uses a ton of metal in their pads too and the size of the brake discs don't help the situation. Your rotors aren't exactly in perfect shape per se I think a fresh set will alleviate what youre worried about, installed properly, cleanly, with ample lubrication.

have an indy install something like this, if you can BYOP that'll solve it. It's like 3 hours at $150 market rate for labor, offer to pay more for BYOP to offset their losses.

How are thess rotors so cheap? The oem ones im looking at are like 1300 a piece? What website is that?
Old 07-15-2023, 12:47 PM

2019 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by superpop
I would simply go pick the car up and take it to a different dealer if the car is still under warranty. When I first got my S63 it would randomly activate the blind spot assist plus and swerve to the right while applying the brakes at freeway speeds in traffic. It was actually a very dangerous situation and I took it to one dealer who claimed they could not find any problem with the car. Kept it for weeks with no resolution. Finally gave up and was ready to just sell the car and move on but thought I would try a different dealer. At first they could not find any problems but then the car did the same thing with the tech and he dug into it as he realized how dangerous this could be. They replaced one rear radar sensor and the car has been fine ever since.

One thing I am finding in my area is that quality technicians are nearly impossible to find even at the dealership. Especially AMG techs. Sounds like you have a dealer with incompetent techs.
Wow that is dangerous, good thing you got it fixed. Sticking to this dealership just in case rotors and pads are bad and they'll replace them under good faith of a new car sale. You think they would?
Old 07-16-2023, 06:11 AM
SPONSOR

How are thess rotors so cheap? The oem ones im looking at are like 1300 a piece? What website is that?
RockAuto, but most of the parts-warehouse type suppliers will offer you the rears at around $100. The ecosystem for MB works as follows, basically less common your car is, S63 being like probably the worst example of this, the more expensive the parts will cost you the space is better served stocking **** for CLA/E/GLE etc, so this back and forth between dealers is included in the parts cost as well as how much money these guys are responsible for. Say if we were doing an E300, the OE as in, MB brand rotors BARELY cost anything over the aftermarket plus you get the box with the cool MB graphics on them so I actually don't mind sending people to the dealer for parts if you drive a regular MB since the Genuine brand often is the best quality if you know which parts should be genuine or not (wipers/batteries/washer fluid/gaskets/cabin filters). For the AMG's, especially the big AMG's they absolutely rake you over the coals behind a truck. And trust me you're gonna wait a lot of the time too, unless your appointment is two weeks out and they know you're good for it. You ever wait 3 weeks for an axle you could otherwise buy from a Napa for 1/3 the price? Thats the dealer parts ecosystem, they are not allowed to purchase parts officially (I've done it in a bind) from the local parts vendors that sell OEM (as in the manufacturer makes other parts for MB, just not your particular part, but the brand is otherwise considered good for it). They make 40% on MB Genuine too, vs the average 25-35% we make. Now this isn't exactly all predatory a dealer has a ton of operating costs that are unfathomable, there are useless people in the building at any given time not doing anything, and parts and merchandise that just sit there unsold because of someones lack of foresight, and then 3+ tiers of management to watch them.

So MB AMG front rotors can be $1899 EACH, or $471 OEM from a Brembo/Textar/TRW/ATE/Zimmerman/VNE that made the brakes on some other MB, or in Zimmermans case the ACTUAL brakes. Note that even if Zimmerman made the parts on your car, there is sometimes still design deviation from the MB part, so they're not exactly the same.

Old 07-16-2023, 06:14 AM
SPONSOR

this is just conjecture since I wasn't actually there to prove it but:

moisture builds up in the front distronic sensor in humid climates and will also activate your pre-safe and it's emergency warning intermittantly. Same with the parking sensors/rear radar on the cars. When this happens for legal reasons they're not going to tell you to disable a safety feature through the steering wheel, but thats the answer until you clean and dry the parts involved.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is just conjecture since I wasn't actually there to prove it but:

moisture builds up in the front distronic sensor in humid climates and will also activate your pre-safe and it's emergency warning intermittantly. Same with the parking sensors/rear radar on the cars. When this happens for legal reasons they're not going to tell you to disable a safety feature through the steering wheel, but thats the answer until you clean and dry the parts involved.
Ironically that is the advice my SA gave me. He suggested I just turn Active BSM+ off!!! That is when I left and went to another dealer.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow that is dangerous, good thing you got it fixed. Sticking to this dealership just in case rotors and pads are bad and they'll replace them under good faith of a new car sale. You think they would?
Brake squealing is typically caused by improper installation or wrong parts used. It is telling that pads were replaced 1K ago. Maybe they installed them wrong. Tell the dealership to remove and reinstall the rear pads and see if that helps. Or spend a few hundred bucks on a set of Z23/26 carbon ceramic pads and have all 4 corners replaced with new pads. I suggest this because you will most likely be back on this forum 30 days from now complaining about all of the brake dust on your wheels. The MB OE pads are horrible dust creators. I installed these pads on my car in a few hours and they work as well as OE and no more dust.

Last edited by superpop; 07-16-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:32 PM

2019 S63 AMG
Brake squealing is typically caused by improper installation or wrong parts used. It is telling that pads were replaced 1K ago. Maybe they installed them wrong. Tell the dealership to remove and reinstall the rear pads and see if that helps. Or spend a few hundred bucks on a set of Z23/26 carbon ceramic pads and have all 4 corners replaced with new pads. I suggest this because you will most likely be back on this forum 30 days from now complaining about all of the brake dust on your wheels. The MB OE pads are horrible dust creators. I installed these pads on my car in a few hours and they work as well as OE and no more dust.
God damn problem is its been 9 days at the dealership and they still haven't told me what the issue is, why is it taking so freaking long?
Old 07-16-2023, 01:33 PM

2019 S63 AMG
RockAuto, but most of the parts-warehouse type suppliers will offer you the rears at around $100. The ecosystem for MB works as follows, basically less common your car is, S63 being like probably the worst example of this, the more expensive the parts will cost you the space is better served stocking **** for CLA/E/GLE etc, so this back and forth between dealers is included in the parts cost as well as how much money these guys are responsible for. Say if we were doing an E300, the OE as in, MB brand rotors BARELY cost anything over the aftermarket plus you get the box with the cool MB graphics on them so I actually don't mind sending people to the dealer for parts if you drive a regular MB since the Genuine brand often is the best quality if you know which parts should be genuine or not (wipers/batteries/washer fluid/gaskets/cabin filters). For the AMG's, especially the big AMG's they absolutely rake you over the coals behind a truck. And trust me you're gonna wait a lot of the time too, unless your appointment is two weeks out and they know you're good for it. You ever wait 3 weeks for an axle you could otherwise buy from a Napa for 1/3 the price? Thats the dealer parts ecosystem, they are not allowed to purchase parts officially (I've done it in a bind) from the local parts vendors that sell OEM (as in the manufacturer makes other parts for MB, just not your particular part, but the brand is otherwise considered good for it). They make 40% on MB Genuine too, vs the average 25-35% we make. Now this isn't exactly all predatory a dealer has a ton of operating costs that are unfathomable, there are useless people in the building at any given time not doing anything, and parts and merchandise that just sit there unsold because of someones lack of foresight, and then 3+ tiers of management to watch them.

So MB AMG front rotors can be $1899 EACH, or $471 OEM from a Brembo/Textar/TRW/ATE/Zimmerman/VNE that made the brakes on some other MB, or in Zimmermans case the ACTUAL brakes. Note that even if Zimmerman made the parts on your car, there is sometimes still design deviation from the MB part, so they're not exactly the same.
This is crazy, very interesting info.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:53 PM

2019 S63 AMG

Why is it that some brembo rear discs are $100 and some are $1000. I get confused on these. For example, here https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...ake_rotor.html

Also is there any significant advantages over 1 piece rotors with a 2 piece, besides weight?
Old 07-16-2023, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why is it that some brembo rear discs are $100 and some are $1000. I get confused on these. For example, here https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...ake_rotor.html

Also is there any significant advantages over 1 piece rotors with a 2 piece, besides weight?
The factory discs are actually 1 piece, they just have cast legs that connect the rotor hat to the disk. Not sure why they are so expensive. I plan on going with the Brembo 2 piece units on my next brake change with the Brembo 1 piece rotors in the rear. I think MB charges so much because they know that most S63 owners are not DIY people and they typically don't balk at 7K brake jobs. I am neither of those. I do all of my own brakes and oil changes for two reasons, I know it is done right, and I save a ton of money for very little work.
Vanquish59 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 03:25 PM

2019 S63 AMG
The factory discs are actually 1 piece, they just have cast legs that connect the rotor hat to the disk. Not sure why they are so expensive. I plan on going with the Brembo 2 piece units on my next brake change with the Brembo 1 piece rotors in the rear. I think MB charges so much because they know that most S63 owners are not DIY people and they typically don't balk at 7K brake jobs. I am neither of those. I do all of my own brakes and oil changes for two reasons, I know it is done right, and I save a ton of money for very little work.
I still currently dont know what the issue is on the car. Might be brakes / rotors, might be not. Can i please ask you to link me rotors / pads you would buy if you had to change your brakes. REAR ONLY. You mentioned the pads, can you link them to where u would buy alongside rotors.

@ChrisHimself can you please do so as well 🙏

Last edited by Vanquish59; 07-16-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
SPONSOR

I still currently dont know what the issue is on the car. Might be brakes / rotors, might be not. Can i please ask you to link me rotors / pads you would buy if you had to change your brakes. REAR ONLY. You mentioned the pads, can you link them to where u would buy alongside rotors.

@ChrisHimself can you please do so as well 🙏
it's within 90% accuracy you just have some worn rotors and someone just slapped new pads on so there some uneven mating going on. Remember what I said about the parts ecosystem for the rare AMG's? The compound is the exact same make-up as every MB ever made, except now the rear pads are $500 because how many people have AMG's

RockAuto, 2019 S63

rotors, I'm using Brembo on my GTS so you're in good hands and I routinely slow from 120mph at least a couple times a week
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1896&jsn=1536

pads, they're a carbon fiber ceramic, it's basically just Hawk HPS cept way more production scale. you won't get faster stops but they'll be dust-free, noise-free, and your brakes last 60k+ on AMG's. I'm using them on the GT-S no drama which more or less has the same brakes as your car
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1684&jsn=1579

hopefully this helps

Old 07-16-2023, 06:07 PM

2019 S63 AMG
it's within 90% accuracy you just have some worn rotors and someone just slapped new pads on so there some uneven mating going on. Remember what I said about the parts ecosystem for the rare AMG's? The compound is the exact same make-up as every MB ever made, except now the rear pads are $500 because how many people have AMG's

RockAuto, 2019 S63

rotors, I'm using Brembo on my GTS so you're in good hands and I routinely slow from 120mph at least a couple times a week
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1896&jsn=1536

pads, they're a carbon fiber ceramic, it's basically just Hawk HPS cept way more production scale. you won't get faster stops but they'll be dust-free, noise-free, and your brakes last 60k+ on AMG's. I'm using them on the GT-S no drama which more or less has the same brakes as your car
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1684&jsn=1579

hopefully this helps
Chris why are there 2 types of brembo rotors. One is like $100, the other $1000. What's the diff?
Old 07-16-2023, 06:08 PM

2019 S63 AMG
Rear factory are 1 piece??? For a sedan?
Old 07-16-2023, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Chris is right with his recommendation. Front and Rear come from factory with 1 piece rotors with fancy cut outs where the disk meets the hat. They are not 2 piece. The Brembo fronts that you can buy from FCP Euro are true 2 piece rotors. Rears are still 1 piece. There is also a guy on Ebay selling a very similar looking rotor to OE but I am not sure I would buy them as they are made in China. Brembo is good quality stuff. Ironically the rear brake pads on this car can wear as fast as the fronts because so much of the autonomous driving stuff and adaptive cruise all utilize the rear brakes more.
Vanquish59 (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 08:21 PM
SPONSOR

Chris why are there 2 types of brembo rotors. One is like $100, the other $1000. What's the diff?
uh theres an S63 coupe which uses these horrdenously expensive rears to my knowledge because it's like a unicorn amg. I think it populates S63 AMG as the same car, coupe or not

Old 07-16-2023, 08:27 PM
SPONSOR

Rear factory are 1 piece??? For a sedan?
yeah they tried to cut them out to make them fancy on the OE design, but rotors are giant heat sinks the Brembo is a better design functionally. They just look like they're two-piece. Two piece rotors are generally pretty cancerous because the parts bill makes the cars undriveable for used car owners but uh the Brembos with the screws are a great design and they look SUPER cool

Old 07-18-2023, 07:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,390 Likes on 2,038 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823

Glad you tried a different dealership, from my experience not all dealerships are created equal either.
Old 07-18-2023, 02:05 PM

2019 S63 AMG
Dealership still saying noise is normal and my car is ready. They ain't budging.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 S63 Rear Brakes Squealing Noise