what is causing my engine to turn off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 10:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
S63 amg 2014, s560 2020, 2022 Gls450
what is causing my engine to turn off

Hello all,

I have been trying to understand my s63. It has roughly 70k+ miles on it. The car runs fine on every gear. When I got it tuned, the car got faster BUT in 3 and 4th gear the power shuts out after 5.5/6k RPM. The car shakes before I manually shift up gear. I removed the tune, the car is running a little better? I get to 6k and still feel there should be more there. What can I look at to see what is causing this? Also I recently got new spark plugs. The car at times turns off...like if I was driving for 30-40 mins pushing the car in sports mode, park my car and turn it off. I turn it back on a minute later and itll turn on and then just turn off while showing all the error lights. When this happens I'll try again but this time you'll hear the engine trying to start up and then not starting. Then I wait 3-4 mins leave the car and come back... it works. This has happened 2-3 times so far within 2k miles. I want this car to be as ready as possible for the tune and upgrades but not sure where I can find a checklist on seeing what should be updated if it's worn out.

Could this be the way the new spark plugs were installed? It was an amg tech so I assumed it would be fine. I love this car, the tune and the experience so far, I wish to continue it but in a safe manner! I need to learn the process so any input will help, thanks.

Worst case scenario I am taking it to a well known tuner in new york and letting them work on it. It'll be expensive but I want this car working the best.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:36 PM

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts
2014 S63 2010 ML350 Bluetec 2009 SL550
If it were me, I would remove the tune immediately and just enjoy ~600hp, which - lets be real - is still a crap ton of power. You need to read more M157 horror stories and watch youtube vids until you convince yourself that its just not worth the risk to overboost your motor that is already pretty stressed. The later M177 is a better candidate for boost since it's a closed deck design.

Your car, your money, but mine is not getting tuned.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:04 AM

You're not wrong. I turned off the tune and the car is working perfectly fine. I think I have CEL because of no mufflers? It turns off when I fill up the car but eventually turns on again. I have been able to push the car without any fear of power loss. But..

I think it's not power loss as muuch as it could be a sensor issue? If the sensors are too sensitive, it could be causing the car to brake even though there is no car close to me. I have to test it out. The TCU tune stays because it has nice hold pressure.

I need to read more m157 engine stuff if you have quick links, please do share. I just wanna do as much with this car because I am keeping it. So i will try my best to take care it with the excess power
Old 10-07-2023, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 550 Likes on 407 Posts
222 S-65
OP the electronics have safety in mind to keep the engine from blowing itself up. It listens for knock, pays attention for misfires, air fuel ratios, intake air temps etc.

Adding boost adds adds heat to the intake charge. Exceed the capacity of the stock system that is on the edge as standard and it cuts boost.

If it is EVER running rough that is your cue to have a pro WHO KNOWS WHAT THE HELL HE IS DOING have a good look at it. An injector that sprays poorly will melt a piston and cylinder in short order. Ignition coils fail.

OP if you don’t KNOW what you are looking at/looking for you will get in deep quickly. Don’t get it wrong.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:30 PM

Received 153 Likes on 108 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
Who did your tuning? Or what branded tube did you opt for?
Old 10-10-2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP the electronics have safety in mind to keep the engine from blowing itself up. It listens for knock, pays attention for misfires, air fuel ratios, intake air temps etc.

Adding boost adds adds heat to the intake charge. Exceed the capacity of the stock system that is on the edge as standard and it cuts boost.

If it is EVER running rough that is your cue to have a pro WHO KNOWS WHAT THE HELL HE IS DOING have a good look at it. An injector that sprays poorly will melt a piston and cylinder in short order. Ignition coils fail.

OP if you don’t KNOW what you are looking at/looking for you will get in deep quickly. Don’t get it wrong.
Tbh I guess I just didnt do this properly. I had an amg tech look at it and I told him can you make sure the car is running good. I told him my complaints such as engine light, new spark plugs and wheel bearing noise. He installed the spark plugs and told me the wheel bearing will make that noise...

I was hoping he had a checklist to look at the engine to make sure everything is working good. I need to find a reputable autoshop. I have anxiety so I worry bringing my car to a auto body shop, it will come back worse OR they will break something that I will need to fix. It's the whole "oh you have this issue thats why" mentality. What if the issue was from something else but they could not find the solution hence the damage a part to make that the issue.

I will have to pay the labor and go some place that does quality work in the NY region. I really hope I find someone soon because these downpipes need to get installed and I dont want anyone ****ing that up.

It hasnt been running rough after I turned off the tune. I need to remove engine start/stop because i noticed it may turn off the car entirely and Ill have all the error codes showing. The whole "no power after 6k rpm in 3rd gear" has stopped after I took off the tune. The car has not turned off on me while driving either.

Must be electrical or the tune or both. I will find a solution. One thing that sucks about a loud car is you cant here the issues if they are any. Thanks for your comment
Old 10-13-2023, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 550 Likes on 407 Posts
222 S-65
OP look through the Benz Ninja thread. If you are going to own one of these cars having the computer with XENTRY and a lifetime membership with Peter will prove invaluable.

Start-stop is a software tweak from being in your distant memory. This is but one of a plethora of things Peter can do for your car. He can also help with diagnosis.

Sure sounds like your ‘Tune’ made things worse. Better to remove that before something gets damaged for real.

You will love having Intelligent lighting. Additional transmission modes. Last setting memory when the car is turned off. Peter has a list of software changes available.

Money well spent.
The following 3 users liked this post by JohnLane:
carlosinseattle (10-13-2023), PatPend (10-13-2023), vincheung (10-13-2023)