Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

2003 Acura TL-S extended warranty help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda city
2003 Acura TL-S extended warranty help

Hi,
Recently I bought a used 03 Acura TL-s with 70k miles, which does not covered by Acura extended transmission warranty. Can anyone recommend a power train warranty? Suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
I spoke with service writers that were friends of mine years ago when I was looking to purchase a CL-S because it was a very fun car to drive, and, overall, I loved them.... However I was very aware of the 5-AT problems, and wanted to speak directly to service department employees that I knew personally at Acura. Here's the rundown... Replace the fluid....OFTEN!!!! I'm not sure if you've hunted around the forums here at all, but the 722.6 Mercedes Trans was considered a "Lifetime sealed unit" that didn't require service... Then the interval, depending on whom you spoke with goes down to as little as 30K... Talk to anyone who owns a Chrysler product, especially FWD and you'll hear horror stories. Here's the lowdown, third-party warranty's are a joke, they'll probably replace your trans with a unit from LKQ, which could range from 01-03 and you'll have the same problem. There were software tweaks, some for better, some for worse, and some oil jet units that really weren't successful in saving that particular transmission. Now, down to the nitty gritty, if you want to spare the trans, pray that the previous owner did a trans fluid service at some point already, second, become fastidious about doing it from now on... I'm talking every 15k miles... I know how excessive that sounds, but think of how much that costs vs an aftermarket warranty. Third, do NOT get on it hard when it's cold, if you want to see how hard it is when it's cold on the trans, go test drive another one, punch it right off the bat and it will bark the tires off going into second gear. 1-2 and 2-3 when cold causes excessive heat, also, excessive 1-2 2-3, 3-2 2-1 shifting when cold does the same, you would be better off using the tap-shift holding gears a bit if you're first few stops are very stop and go. Take care of that trans and it will be fine. Most manufactures build cars to have ridiculously long service intervals to attract buyers, not thinking of how it affects the car in the long run for the second hand buyer. If I were you, at this point I'd be looking into servicing all the fluids, and having a timing belt service done on the vehicle as well. That car is 10 years old now, that belt, most likely is 10 years old as well... That's a lot of years of service. Maintain the car and it should be fine.... Most owners the service department saw with Honda products of those years with the V6 and 5-AT had trans issues because they didn't really have the trans serviced.