Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

WARNING! Please Read!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
WARNING! Please Read!

Hey everyone,

I apologize for such an obnoxious heading. I just found out today that my "warranty" company and broker screwed me majorly. First off, my 2002 CL600 had a "convenient" active body control error message telling me to visit the workshop, which I did expediently. One of the valves and pumps needs to be replaced--approximately 1 day in the shop and $1500. I call/email/try to contact my warranty broker (autowarrantybroker.com) and come to find out via the underwriter and administering company (First Warranty Group) that I was sold a fraudulent warranty and that the company has vanished. Almost $2000 later in paying off the warranty I come to realize this. In any case, my dealer is somewhat sympathetic to my situation and is "knocking" off some of the price. Also, my service guy was telling me that a bunch of the major after market warranty companies have or are going bankrupt. Ridiculous. So, if anyone out there is intending on purchasing an aftermarket warranty, be very careful, and if possible buy it through your respective dealership...at least you'll have a tangible office in sight to communicate any grievances. At this rate, some of the stealerships might go under...but not the big, black Benzes.

Such a sad predicament that these companies not only take the customer's money as well as their trust and peace of mind. Whatever happened to trust, honor, and loyalty? Is that too much to ask?

By the way, before I bought my warranty, I thoroughly researched my options because MBUSA would not warranty a 8-9 year old car. I also consulted the Better Business Bureau and other watchdog, monitoring agencies. So much for that.

Sincerely,

Mohammed
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

SL600
Thanks for the heads up, sorry to hear you got screwed like that!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 AM

Yes!
Thanks man. It really infuriates me that a company/individual would do such an act. I'm old school about honest, trust, and loyalty. But I guess I can't expect everyone to be as well.

Let me know if you're looking for any warranty info for your SL or even the V12. My advice, make sure you follow the flexible service schedule religiously! If you can, try to get an oil change before the 10k mile recommendation. A lot of the mb techs tell me that 10k miles is way too long even though mb says its ok. The older a car gets, the more it needs to be lubricated. For these exotics, the engines seem bulletproof but its all the other little gadgets and electrical crap that goes bad. It's like having a spaceship. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but when something goes wrong, everything goes wrong!

Mohammed
Old 04-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Damn! Sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience. Back when I was contemplating on purchasing an after market warranty (before my CPO warranty expired), I shopped around thoroughly and in the end I decided to just wing it and not warranty the car. I figured I'd be more pissed if I paid for a warranty and was forced to pay for a repair, for whatever reason. Also, I've become well acquainted with my CL as a result with a bunch of DIY repairs. Make sure you report to the proper authorities. Good luck man!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 PM

2012 C300 4matic
Sorry to hear about that man. I just remembered that the same thing happened to me when I had a non-dealer extended warranty on one of my cars. I just purchased a CPO and added a 2 year extended warranty through the dealership that doesn't kick in until 2016. I think I'll stick with it so I don't get burned again.