Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

w203 Crash

Old 01-24-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MK IV .:R32
w203 Crash

so.......

last Wed. the LA area got pounded with rain

That morning when i turned on my car it said "ESP error." I was thinking "greatttt....of all the days....."

On my drive to school, the back kicked out a few times, but I was always able to save it. Driving home from class now a few hours later on the freeway I wasn't able to save it. I was doing about 60 in the slow lane in pouring rain when the back stepped out again. I started to counter it, but the steering was verrrrrrry loose and un-responsive this time (like I was on ice). The car spun twice before going off the road into a ditch. The passenger side made contact. My airbag, the passenger airbag, passenger side-curtain airbag, and passenger door airbag all deploy. My GF and I were freaked out initially by the flash, bang, smell, and smoke caused by airbags deploying so we booked it out of the car.

It got towed out and everything. It's now sitting on my driveway. Yesterday the insurance adjuster came by to take a look at it. He said that if the passenger side-curtain airbags didn't deploy, my GF could have been killed or at least suffered severe head trauma. Her leg was bruised by the door handle, but again.....if the door airbag hadn't gone off she could have broken her leg.

idk what's going to happen now.....but I thought I would pass along this "Safety Testimonial"
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
God Damn dude.. Glad to see that you and your girlfriend are alright.. I will tell you the story when i crashed my benz.. it was stupid but pushing the button that turns the ESP off is FAIL!!!!

I pushed the button because this girl in the suv was going like 10mph talking on her cell phone.. i got pissed off and passed her.. Was coming on a down hill with the esp still off.. i tried to slow down fast the esp kept lighting up so much.. blinking ect.. i couldn't turn right or left..i ended up in a ditch crashing the whole front end.. No air bags nothing! at 25 mph the police did a report of the crash.. saying i never tried to brake or anything which was a lie.. The car had no skid marks on the road nor in the dirt.. something crazy happened and i don't know what.. But turning the ESP off is something i will never do again even if i just wanna spin the tires at a stop light..

Once again man glad your okay! insurance should take care of you! they did for me hehe..
Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 PM

2006 C280
ya man glad to see you're okay. Good thing Mercedes is renown for their safety.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM

2005 Red C55 AMG and 2009 Harley davidson NIghtster SIlver and black
Unreal man!
Last year in April I had a 2005 C230 kompressor as well and thats exactly how my accident happened. I was driving the the esp light flashed yellow and red and the same time. Spun two times on a turn in a ditch and a fence.
Thank god you guys are ok!
Who knows how many other people have experienced this problem as well.
Good luck with everything !
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
sorry to hear that.

but that's why I usually get new tires around rain season.

was driving on the 10fwy when it hailed for a good 10 min...30mph on the freeway. new rear tire on the W204 was a good choice. lol

during

aftermath
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM

2005 c230k ss, 2005 Land Rover LR3, 2006 Honda S2000
As we know even with ESP off the computer will still intervene when the car is out of shape. Even with no ESP period it should have not been that hard to control the car. I drive in the rain all the time with esp off and have no problems. I wonder how you people drove before esp??? Sounds like you need to learn some basic car control skills hot shot, I suggest you call Skip Barber or another driving school and get a clue. When driving like a fool you deserve to end up in the ditch
Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 AM

2006 C230 Sport
E24kgold glad to hear your such a professional driver. Shivi glad to hear your okay. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Any pics of the carnage?