Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

Unsafe Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E350
Unsafe Brake Pedal

I have a 2017 E300. The brake pedal is too close to the center console. It's only about 1/4 inch wider than my foot on the gas pedal. I think it's a safety issue because my foot can become entangled with the brake pedal when I lift it off the gas pedal to apply the brake.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E350
More brake details

The brake pedal on my 2017 E300 is too close to the centerconsole. Fig. 1 shows that there is justbarely enough room for my foot on the gas pedal. Figs. 2 & 3 show that my foot can becomestuck behind the gas pedal. This isobviously a dangerous situation in case of an emergency when I need to rapidlyget my right foot off the gas pedal and onto the brake pedal.
It seems clear that Mercedes recognized this problem. But, instead of fixing the problem right bymoving the brake pedal to the left, they tried to get by on the cheap bymolding a side deflector on the right side of the rubber brake pedal pad asshown in Figs. 4, 5, 6, & 7.
Fig. 4 shows the brake pedal’s rubber pad with its deflectoron the side next to the gas pedal. Figs.5, 6, & 7 are different views of the rubber pad after removal from thebrake pedal.
Mercedes should be embarrassed to try to get by with thisjerry-rig fix to a potentially serious safety issue.
Attached Thumbnails Unsafe Brake Pedal-fig.-1.jpg   Unsafe Brake Pedal-fig.-2.jpg   Unsafe Brake Pedal-fig.-3.jpg   Unsafe Brake Pedal-fig.-4.jpg   Unsafe Brake Pedal-fig.-5.jpg  

Unsafe Brake Pedal-fig.-6.jpg   Unsafe Brake Pedal-fig.-7.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'16 E350 ‘07 S550 ‘21 GLE580
I can’t speak to the primary issue of the pedals being to close to each other, but as far as the molded deflector I can. Mercedes has used that brake pedal pad design since at least the 1970’s on the W123 E-Class. I’ve owned six different, unique Mercedes chassis since I was a teenager and all have had that brake pedal pad. I’ve had a Mercedes since I was 17, I’m 37 now and have only had an issue of my foot getting caught behind the pedal with one pair of shoes that have a large lip/rim on the sole. It’s worth noting that I’ve had the same issue in both Audi and Porsche cars while wearing those same shoes.