MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Vic55
I did a quick drive, maybe 5 miles:

Good launch but I feel my F90 is quicker
Ok 30-110 but again the F90 felt faster
Exhaust note was amazing, louder than my E63S and GTS
Handling was excellent, planted, no yaw or heavy rebound- the car feels smaller in this regard.

I had the drive mode in the most aggressive set up too. I think I need to drive it again but the heft on the car does hold it back. The handling was indeed what everyone raves about though. Im just not sure how much of a real world gap that difference would be for me. When I was done, I took my F90 on the same route to get an immediate comparo and the main thing for me was the throttle response and transmission reaction to my needs. BMW really has the TCU part of their ZF dialed IMHO. But in full disclosure when I first drove the F90 I was not entirely sold over my E63S so I waited a few days and went back. Re drove it and things were better. This is why I never take a car on the first drive whether it be great or not as great. Dont get me wrong, the GT63S was still an amazing first run but I need to give it another shot with more miles and longer open stretches.
Better for the wife and kids too
Old 12-28-2019, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,273 Likes on 2,035 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I did a quick drive, maybe 5 miles:

Good launch but I feel my F90 is quicker
Ok 30-110 but again the F90 felt faster
Exhaust note was amazing, louder than my E63S and GTS
Handling was excellent, planted, no yaw or heavy rebound- the car feels smaller in this regard.

I had the drive mode in the most aggressive set up too. I think I need to drive it again but the heft on the car does hold it back. The handling was indeed what everyone raves about though. Im just not sure how much of a real world gap that difference would be for me. When I was done, I took my F90 on the same route to get an immediate comparo and the main thing for me was the throttle response and transmission reaction to my needs. BMW really has the TCU part of their ZF dialed IMHO. But in full disclosure when I first drove the F90 I was not entirely sold over my E63S so I waited a few days and went back. Re drove it and things were better. This is why I never take a car on the first drive whether it be great or not as great. Dont get me wrong, the GT63S was still an amazing first run but I need to give it another shot with more miles and longer open stretches.
Thanks for the feedback! Interesting. I don't recall but think you have a tune on your car. Non-comp M5 should definitely be (or feel) slower than the GT63s.
Am envious though! We couldn't take a car for a test drive if we wanted to. Freezing rain doesn't mix well with performance rubber Minneapolis is the wrong place for these cars...

Old 12-28-2019, 11:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 E70 X5M, 2018 E63S Edition 1
I am currently in the market for a gently used E63s. Looking at the resale of the GT63 and seeing the slow sales, I think I will wait for GT prices to drop further and get a used one. Checking on Cargurus, there are about 50 GT63 and GT63s sitting at dealer lots for over 150 days!
Old 12-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Thanks for the feedback! Interesting. I don't recall but think you have a tune on your car. Non-comp M5 should definitely be (or feel) slower than the GT63s.
Am envious though! We couldn't take a car for a test drive if we wanted to. Freezing rain doesn't mix well with performance rubber Minneapolis is the wrong place for these cars...
I took the tune out for the comparo (basically took the piggy to zero)... The non comp F90 is still very fast and traps better than the GT63S. It doesnt out track it but like I had said, I dont track the car so the gains there would not be material for me.

I need to re drive it for sure.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Vic et al,

Did you see that the 800hp(?) hybrid version; 73S(?), is supposed to be out next year?

Has to have a sub-3 second 0-60 mph. God knows the cost though, as I’ve always felt this particular car was way overpriced.

Bish
Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by thebishman
Vic et al,

Did you see that the 800hp(?) hybrid version; 73S(?), is supposed to be out next year?

Has to have a sub-3 second 0-60 mph. God knows the cost though, as I’ve always felt this particular car was way overpriced.

Bish
I read a little on it, but just shy away from that type of car as I know it will be priced very poorly, if not worse than the GT63S. I think with a tune I could rip repeat sub 3 second numbers on a GT63S.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (12-31-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

We ended up going for a M8 Competition for a change. I like two door coupes and pricing was right.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Received 516 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I've been following this car for quite some time and have reviewed almost all written and video analysis. For the most part, they are positive but several journalist have expressed various concerns. My initial takeaway was that this is a serious in-house AMG with the hardware and software to make it pretty special in the world of four door sedans.

My MB sales friend has been trying to get me into a GT63S since its release. My reason for the hesitation has been the cost of membership and the ridiculous AMG depreciation. Anyways, I finally got a chance to take a 2020 GT63S out for about a half hour spin last week. During my drive I experienced both smooth and rough roads. I was also able to push the car hard several of times. Overall it's a very beautiful, fast and competent car but it has a couple of issues that some would consider to be deal breakers. First, the suspension is poorly damped and any significant road imperfections are transmitted into the cabin. Unfortunately altering the suspension settings does not resolve this problem. Second, why does Mercedes allow a premium car like this to rattle? Okay, maybe I can accept this on my $95K C63 coupe but it's totally unacceptable on a sedan pushing the $200,000.00 mark.

At the end of the day I did not purchase/lease this car. It was offered to me at $20,000 off but even at that discount, it's overpriced. I would love to have one sitting in my garage but I'm going to wait until I can get at least $45-50k off MSRP.

Wolf, congrats on the M8 comp. My buddy just purchased one, beautiful car.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rock
I've been following this car for quite some time and have reviewed almost all written and video analysis. For the most part, they are positive but several journalist have expressed various concerns. My initial takeaway was that this is a serious in-house AMG with the hardware and software to make it pretty special in the world of four door sedans.

My MB sales friend has been trying to get me into a GT63S since its release. My reason for the hesitation has been the cost of membership and the ridiculous AMG depreciation. Anyways, I finally got a chance to take a 2020 GT63S out for about a half hour spin last week. During my drive I experienced both smooth and rough roads. I was also able to push the car hard several of times. Overall it's a very beautiful, fast and competent car but it has a couple of issues that some would consider to be deal breakers. First, the suspension is poorly damped and any significant road imperfections are transmitted into the cabin. Unfortunately altering the suspension settings does not resolve this problem. Second, why does Mercedes allow a premium car like this to rattle? Okay, maybe I can accept this on my $95K C63 coupe but it's totally unacceptable on a sedan pushing the $200,000.00 mark.

At the end of the day I did not purchase/lease this car. It was offered to me at $20,000 off but even at that discount, it's overpriced. I would love to have one sitting in my garage but I'm going to wait until I can get at least $45-50k off MSRP.

Thanks! According to the few M8 owners that had M5's before rate the M8 as the quicker car. Will be fun to compare with our E63s
IMHO, the GT63s would have been an absolute winner if they priced it at a $20k premium over the E63s. Easy choice.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:45 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
I saw a new 850 with some matte blue paint and it looked killer as haif! Lets have some pic when you get it
Old 12-31-2019, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

You can get my Edition 1 with MSRP of $200,495, 45 miles on the odometer at $50K off.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Can you shoot me a link? Thanks

Old 12-31-2019, 10:55 AM
Administrator

We ended up going for a M8 Competition for a change. I like two door coupes and pricing was right.
NIce Wolfgang and I agree on the price point especially in December. I fear for myself that it would remind me too much of the M5 outside of the looks. I have read up on the guys who have it and they rave but it also might be a bit of a justification of purchase rave. I trust you will give us your thoughts too coming from outside the S63Tu family. I havent seen one M8 post the numbers that the F90 is posting but thats of course due to late introduction. Im not sure if you read up on the F90 side but that car out of the box can push 10.8 and 129-130 stock. (slips posted)

Last edited by Vic55; 12-31-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Dave Happy Holidays!!

My E63S was similar in road feel but with less weight so I can see where you really felt the road(s). Where I live the roads are very very good and I still had some trouble getting aclimated to the E63S. It still lasted almost 1 year but the F90 has served ME better. If you like the throttle response of the RS7 you will really enjoy the F90 in its aggressive modes and that was the most noticeable drive differences in my test drive with the GT63S. And its just not as fast; if you add a simple JB4 to the F90 you are at 10.5 or even lower and 133-134 traps. The GT63S isnt getting there and I know you like to do basic mods.

Even 50k off on that 200k car might not be enough sir. My 40k off on a 184k car wasnt either. Money is relative and we are all fortunate but I dont see spending that much on a car that is not better than the F90 as an all rounder. Now there are alot of 19's sitting and Im assuming with so much allocation that MBUSA will throw down trunk money in January. While that will hurt depreciation further it will help in a new car pricing for the individual buyer. Happy hunting.

Last edited by Vic55; 12-31-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you shoot me a link? Thanks
Message sent.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Dave Happy Holidays!!

My E63S was similar in road feel but with less weight so I can see where you really felt the road(s). Where I live the roads are very very good and I still had some trouble getting aclimated to the E63S. It still lasted almost 1 year but the F90 has served ME better. If you like the throttle response of the RS7 you will really enjoy the F90 in its aggressive modes and that was the most noticeable drive differences in my test drive with the GT63S. And its just not as fast; if you add a simple JB4 to the F90 you are at 10.5 or even lower and 133-134 traps. The GT63S isnt getting there and I know you like to do basic mods.

Even 50k off on that 200k car might not be enough sir. My 40k off on a 184k car wasnt either. Money is relative and we are all fortunate but I dont see spending that much on a car that is not better than the F90 as an all rounder. Now there are alot of 19's sitting and Im assuming with so much allocation that MBUSA will throw down trunk money in January. While that will hurt depreciation further it will help in a new car pricing for the individual buyer. Happy hunting.
Trying not to thread jack, but how’s the everyday ride compliance in your M5, Vic? Is there a noticeable difference in suspension modes? Do you know if there’s much difference in ride compliance between the ‘normal’ M5 and the Competition?

Happy New Year brother!

Bish
Old 12-31-2019, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

NIce Wolfgang and I agree on the price point especially in December. I fear for myself that it would remind me too much of the M5 outside of the looks. I have read up on the guys who have it and they rave but it also might be a bit of a justification of purchase rave. I trust you will give us your thoughts too coming from outside the S63Tu family. I havent seen one M8 post the numbers that the F90 is posting but thats of course due to late introduction. Im not sure if you read up on the F90 side but that car out of the box can push 10.8 and 129-130 stock. (slips posted)
Last post to derail the thread...

I actually got the car because of F90 info you and others have posted on Bimmerpost This turned out to be a strong platform and the ZF does an admirable job! There were killer deals on the M5 just I just felt like a 2 door.
In the end the car wasn’t that much more and it’ll be a rare bird just like the AMG GT’s.

Drove the car for 4 hours today. The car felt strong, seats are great (love the full merino ivory white/tartufo) but the exhaust needs help. Very happy so far

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-02-2020 at 01:09 AM.
hyperion667 (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vic et al,

Bish
I'm afraid the power gains will be offset by additional weight of the electric hardware (as in Panamera Turbo S), in addition, the expected price for a well equipped car at $225k-$240K (at minimum) makes it even less attractive proposition.
I would rather buy a heavily discounted GT63S and just do the mods like I did in my S63 and call it a day.
thebishman (01-01-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Trying not to thread jack, but how’s the everyday ride compliance in your M5, Vic? Is there a noticeable difference in suspension modes? Do you know if there’s much difference in ride compliance between the ‘normal’ M5 and the Competition?

Happy New Year brother!

Bish
Dave, Happy New Year to you too!!! My car is not a CE and its lowered. My roads are very good so the lowering has not really changed the dynamics much. You can definitely tell the difference of the three suspension modes where Comfort compresses much more while Sport Plus is vary taut and limits the chassis flex. Ive only driven the CE once so my opinion is not valid but my thoughts and others that Ive read up on is that you can tell the difference stock vs stock (CE vs non CE) where the CE is tighter (20%) and less forgiving especially on bad roads with undulations and defects. If I was not going to lower my F90 I would rather have the CE set up because I like a more aggressive road feel vs comfort. Its all pretty academic though since the car even in standard version is aggressive. Its definitely more compliant than an E63 or GT63S!!

I actually got the car because of F90 info you and others have posted on Bimmerpost This turned out to be a strong platform and the ZF does an admirable job! There were killer deals on the M5 just I just felt like a 2 door.
In the end the car wasn’t that much more and it’ll be a rare bird just like the AMG GT’s.

Drove the car for 4 hours today. The car felt strong, seats are great (love the full merino ivory white/tartufo) but the exhaust needs help. Very happy so far
Wow, what a looker inside and out!!! How do you like the aggressive drive modes? I agree on the exhaust, even the CE is a bit muted. Here is my car (my actual car yes) sporting the first Remus Exhaust in the US. I find Remus to have that duality of tone where its deep at lower rpms but then gets more exotic as the ranges bump up:

Last edited by Vic55; 01-02-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Love, love that interior, not a fan of light color seats for fear of discoloration (denim virtually destroyed cream leather seats in my wife's old Range Rover (about 15 years ago) but the combination in your M8 made my jaw drop.
Really beautiful.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
A belated happy holidays Vic. My fascination with the GT63s is mainly an emotional one but I agree, it has nothing on the new M5 or M8 (except a significantly greater price tag). The GT63S that I'm really interested looks like this but in the "S" version:

Wolf, the interior of the M8 looks amazing. Congrats!! Did your car come with ceramic brakes?

Old 01-03-2020, 09:51 AM
Administrator

A belated happy holidays Vic. My fascination with the GT63s is mainly an emotional one but I agree, it has nothing on the new M5 or M8 (except a significantly greater price tag). The GT63S that I'm really interested looks like this but in the "S" version:

Wolf, the interior of the M8 looks amazing. Congrats!! Did your car come with ceramic brakes?
Dave you and I are eyeing similar looking cars-- the one I looked at or might still be looking at is white with red interior and an S with the full Aero and wing. But driving a car and seeing it are two different things for me and while its very polarizing in its looks I have to get the driving experience. I am probably going back soon for that 2nd test drive.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Shocked that the one I'm looking at also has the red interior, lol.
Interested to know what you decide.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Shocked that the one I'm looking at also has the red interior, lol.
Interested to know what you decide.
Honestly I love wasting money and AMG has supported me with this habit all my life LOL. We will see. I think Id rather just wait and see what the new RS7 brings.

Absent: big apologies for a ginormous thread jack!! If you want I can build a new thread and pull our posts out?
Old 01-03-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Too many
I have M5C and recently drove GT63S.. I Agree with Vic that M5C felt faster, I think mostly transmission related
though I liked the steering a little better and the exhaust note
our roads are average and I have no problem DD the M5C
but from a value perspective , GT63 S is way overpriced. Even If MSRP is 150 k , I think it will still be overpriced

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT63S used values