Sponsored by:

GT53 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g550
GT53 Daily Driver

Strongly considering getting a GT53 and am interested in how many of you have them as your daily use vehicle. Any issues with comfort or other issues while commuting? I love the style and uniqueness in my area but will be using it to commute 50 miles round-trip each day and occasional 250 mile weekend trips.

Thank you for any feedback.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:29 AM
fvc

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Porsche Cayman S, 2018 E400 4-matic Coupe
I too am considering a GT53 for a daily driver. There doesn't seem to be too much interest in this forum for the 53. To be honest, I think it's priced quite high for what you get ($20K more than the very similar, but not as pretty, CLS 53). But it's a low volume car, so you gotta pay up for the exclusiveness. I drove a Porsche Cayman S as my only car for 5 years, so I my tolerance for a noisy, bumpy ride might be higher than yours. I still have the Cayman, and an E400 for my DD. The E400 is, of course, MUCH more comfortable. I'm expecting the GT53 to be a stiffer ride, but otherwise very comfy and quiet when cruising. If your roads are bad, then expect a somewhat bumpy ride, even with the air suspension. I often keep the E400 air suspension in sport mode, and I'm fine with it most of the time, even on bad roads.

So, I think the noise level will be fine. Summer performance tires, which this comes with, are generally a little louder than touring tires. The ride will definitely be harsher than say, a CLS 450, but not too crazy.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
I have a GT53 and it's my daily driver with a 40 mile/day commute. I've driven it on a 350-mile road trip.

If comfort is important to you, it would really be necessary for you to test drive the GT53 before you decide if it is comfortable enough for you. The ride is stiff even with the suspension in "comfort" mode. GT 53s in the US only have the electronically controlled dampers and not air suspension. My car has 20" wheels, and road noise can be high if you are driving over imperfections. I've driven a 2020 E350 as a loaner with 19" wheels and the difference in comfort and noise is very substantial. Once you are on a smooth highway, or just driving around town, the GT53 quiet and comfortable, but uneven pavement will jostle you around. You really have to be looking for that additional measure of sporty edge in your daily driver to be happy with the GT53. In this regard, the GT53 is closer to a 2-door GT car than a 4-door executive sedan. For me, this is *exactly* what I was looking for. A firm and athletic car that has 4 doors and can fit 4 adults comfortably. To help make the car a little more pampering, I opted for the Saddle Brown interior with the quilted seats, multi-contour function with massage, rapid heating, ventilation, and the heating package. The side bolsters inflate to hold me tighter when the car is turning or is getting jostled by uneven pavement. It's pretty neat and I highly recommend it. Not recommended is the soft-close doors. I thought it would prevent the car door from slamming. It doesn't.

Once I wear out the summer tires, I am going to be switching to Continental DWS all-season tires, which should be quieter and more comfortable to drive on, but the improvement there will be marginal and not decisive.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the car as a daily driver.

The following users liked this post:
cmasterb (07-30-2022)
Old 02-09-2020, 02:34 PM

g550
Excellent feedback. Just what I was looking for.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:26 AM

2020 AMG 53 GT
GT 53 Daily Driver

Originally Posted by NovaOne
I have a GT53 and it's my daily driver with a 40 mile/day commute. I've driven it on a 350-mile road trip.

If comfort is important to you, it would really be necessary for you to test drive the GT53 before you decide if it is comfortable enough for you. The ride is stiff even with the suspension in "comfort" mode. GT 53s in the US only have the electronically controlled dampers and not air suspension. My car has 20" wheels, and road noise can be high if you are driving over imperfections. I've driven a 2020 E350 as a loaner with 19" wheels and the difference in comfort and noise is very substantial. Once you are on a smooth highway, or just driving around town, the GT53 quiet and comfortable, but uneven pavement will jostle you around. You really have to be looking for that additional measure of sporty edge in your daily driver to be happy with the GT53. In this regard, the GT53 is closer to a 2-door GT car than a 4-door executive sedan. For me, this is *exactly* what I was looking for. A firm and athletic car that has 4 doors and can fit 4 adults comfortably. To help make the car a little more pampering, I opted for the Saddle Brown interior with the quilted seats, multi-contour function with massage, rapid heating, ventilation, and the heating package. The side bolsters inflate to hold me tighter when the car is turning or is getting jostled by uneven pavement. It's pretty neat and I highly recommend it. Not recommended is the soft-close doors. I thought it would prevent the car door from slamming. It doesn't.

Once I wear out the summer tires, I am going to be switching to Continental DWS all-season tires, which should be quieter and more comfortable to drive on, but the improvement there will be marginal and not decisive.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the car as a daily driver.
Totally agree with Nova One on this. My 2020
GT 53 is a 4 seat sedan that shares a little GT Coupe DNA. Definitely a "niche" vehicle that has
a lot going fot it in moderation. Yes, pricey but
the GT 53 ticks a lot of the right boxes for me.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi A7
This isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but I have a GT63 as my daily driver and I’m not a huge fan. Rough ride on 21s. It seems like I feel every little pebble on the road. Big difference from my A7. I originally had a GT53 ordered but got a great deal on a GT63 without ever driving one. Kind of regretting it now. I’m not sure if the GT53 would be any different but if the new A7/S7/RS7 we’re better looking I’d trade mine in.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:42 PM

g550
I am also coming from an A7 so I appreciate the comparison.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Yea, this is a car you want to test drive if comfort is a concern. I am not sure about the suspension differences between the GT53 and GT63 in terms of real world feel. The GT63 has the air suspension system but I'm not sure if that means it's softer. The GT53 suspension is pretty stiff at all settings. There is no dramatic difference in terms of comfort between the three settings.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GT53
I have about 3000 miles on my 53. I originally went to buy a E63 S, drove both and fell in love with the GT53. Drive it everyday. Its great to leave in comfort, or if you want to surprise the jerk next to you, drop it in sport plus. Super fun car, my kids love it, and its comfy enough for the wife. I have zero complaints.
The following 2 users liked this post by Invictus87:
Brokaw (02-25-2020), cmasterb (07-30-2022)
Old 02-25-2020, 05:13 PM

2020 AMG GT63S, 2019 Porsche 911 Turbo, 2018 VW Golf R
I have a GT63S as a daily driver for mostly winter use and find it pretty good. It is currently sitting on 19" Pirelli P-Zero Winter tires and the ride is comfortable (to me) but firm. Potholes and road imperfections are definitely noticeable, however, the car feels very solid and taut so I am very happy about that. I was worried about the length of the car from a parking point of view but the rear-wheel steering and the 360 camera makes a difference. My only complaint right now is the control system for the car is not intuitive. Too many menu selections or swiping of the touchpad to access various features. This should get easier the more I drive it.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:07 PM

2020 AMG 53 GT
drtdvl
Although your GT 63 S has a few more whistles and bells than my GT 53, I found a comfort level with the electronics after a month or so . I would think that amazing twin turbo V-8 should help take you mind off things until then!
brokaw

Old 03-29-2020, 12:43 AM

Amg GT53
I've had my GT53 for a month now and my daily commute is short so only got 600km on the clock for now. Previously, I drove the Range Rover Sport L320 and S400 and the GT53 is definitely the more exciting one, by far. The GT53 is stiffer but I guess it's kinda expected given it's a GT car. What i love about it is the look, both the interior and exterior (especially with the Aerodynamic package). The seating is not too comfy compared to the S class but the active multicontour seat hugs you really well during bends and it's more comfortable than the sport seat during long drives. Also the sound is just great, not too loud but there crackles and bangs. I would recommend it if you want a daily driver that is fun to drive and also fit your family and friends when you need to.