Sponsored by:

GT63s Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG GT63s
GT63s Problems

Hate to do it but putting it out there to see whether others have suffered the same nagging issue as I have and at least one other car has. In short, my 2019 AMG GT63s, which I purchased in May of 2019 at full sticker price in excess of $202,000, continues to have a heretofore unsolvable problem with the steering, suspension, axle, hub or related machinery. This problem manifests itself by a loud and nerve-racking “clicking” when the car is in motion and the steering wheel is turned to any sort of moderate degree in either direction. It is especially pronounced when traveling at slow speeds on streets while turning or in parking lots. My dealership has been in touch with AMG domestically and ultimately in Germany about this issue and no one has been able to solve it despite a variety of attempts. I am aware that I have had a hub replaced, I have had a hub ground down and repacked with grease at least twice and other attempts to no avail. While I am happy with my dealership, I am seeing them too often because of my issue and I have had my rapidly-depreciating car away from me for far too long over the past nine months. Sometimes I get loaner cars and sometimes I don’t. As it stands, the problem is not solved but I demanded to get my car back because I paid to drive it and not a C-class or an S-class for that matter. I am driving it sparingly because I am nervous that the problem and/or the result of failed attempts to fix it (i.e. grinding down 1+mm of the interior of my hub) has made it dangerous to operate. Yesterday I returned to the dealer to inquire what MB-USA planned to do to solve my car's issue. I was told the dealer just received a different GT63 that was a buy-back for the same issue. All I want is to have my problem solved once and for all; I prefer to not have to go the buy-back or lemon law route. I'm externalizing my problem to the public as a PSA and also because I have not been given the courtesy or sense of urgency from MB-USA that I would have expected from an early adopter of their halo car who special ordered it. Caveat Emptor to those of you on the fence about purchasing one of these cars.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C63S AMG
such a small window of owners for this car. Hard to relate when most are still sitting in show rooms and early teething issues are not something that will pop up in low volume forum and community. You are on your own on this adventure and wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Well, sometimes things work out, but this is clearly a case where it has not. I would contact MBUSA customer service and inquire about a buy-back. You've been more than patient. They can diagonose/fix the problem on their own time.

My 2019 GT 53 also had its share of new car issues, but they did fix it, knock on wood. I am a non-confrontational guy, but what's due to me, I would not give up. You are coming up on a year of ownership, it's now or never.
The following 3 users liked this post by NovaOne:
Dicecal (04-12-2023), dwillia3476 (03-09-2020), ozy (03-12-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:21 AM

2021 CLA 250
By the way,

I had an issue with "clicking sound" at low speeds while turning at nearly full-lock towards the left, but this was a C300. They swapped out the front axle, did a variety of things and still could not fix it. In the end, the issue was caused by a bent rear wheel. During a turn, the rear wheel being out of round would rock the car imperceptibly but enough to generate the clicking sound in the front axle. Once the bent wheel was replaced, the issue went away.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:20 PM

2019 AMG GT63s
Originally Posted by NovaOne
By the way,

I had an issue with "clicking sound" at low speeds while turning at nearly full-lock towards the left, but this was a C300. They swapped out the front axle, did a variety of things and still could not fix it. In the end, the issue was caused by a bent rear wheel. During a turn, the rear wheel being out of round would rock the car imperceptibly but enough to generate the clicking sound in the front axle. Once the bent wheel was replaced, the issue went away.
Thanks for the specific advice. I will pass this info directly to my dealer. They’ve spent a lot of time, taken photos for the folks in Germany and otherwise incurred a lot of brain damage trying to diagnose. I feel for them but it’s not fair for me to be a guinea pig. I paid a premium and I expect varsity-level performance and not JV.
The following users liked this post:
dwillia3476 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 07:48 AM

2021 CLA 250
Hope it helps. Good luck with the car.
dwillia3476 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT63S
I had same issue

I had same issue, and I actually just got the car back from the dealer just now. Dealer told me that they have found a bulletin from their xentry and there is a fix to it. The topic number is LI40. 10-P-059248 version 4

it basically tells you to sand down the brake disc.

i also had some noise coming from the back of the car when braking. Dealer hasn’t addressed the issue but I am currently waiting on rear spoiler software update. I will have them check out by then.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:25 AM

2014 W212 E63 Wagon
I have the same issue when turning the wheel at close to full lock in parking lots. I just figured it was some noise coming form the differentials and normal since the wheels were all spinning at different speeds. I will have to check out that bulletin and see if it addresses the noise. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:33 AM

2019 AMG GT63s
Originally Posted by bmasidonski
I have the same issue when turning the wheel at close to full lock in parking lots. I just figured it was some noise coming form the differentials and normal since the wheels were all spinning at different speeds. I will have to check out that bulletin and see if it addresses the noise. Thanks!
They say the initial shudder you get when you first lunge into motion is normal. They acknowledge the clicking that persists is not normal. They have used me and my car as guinea pigs as AMG in Germany embarks on their quest to figure out a diagnosis and a fix. My dealer has been in contact with them along the way and has taken/sent pictures of the hub & surrounding parts.

The thing that is irritating the hell out of me is their lack of sincere effort to follow up with me (i.e. over a week and no returned voicemails or emails from my assigned rep "Keiara" at the MB-USA Customer Assistance Center). I'm out here watching my $200K+ car rapidly depreciate and I couldn't even sell it in good conscience because it is broken. Lucky me.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:08 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...100-fixed.html

Is the issue you are describing perhaps crabbing?
Old 03-19-2020, 03:18 PM

2019 AMG GT63s
Nope. My car does crab and it has good, non-run flat Michelin tires. The issue is a fairly loud "clicking" during the entire sweep of a turn, even after any crabbing has resolved itself. Often it happens when there has been no crabbing at all. It clicks at, say, 2 or 3 clicks per second and it is in the car's mechanicals and not at the point of contact between tire and pavement. They told me to bring the car back in on Monday for another fishing expedition, this time maybe involving axles. Despite my protests they are holding firm on making me be an unwitting guinea pig, and they aren't giving me a loaner anywhere close to the value and prestige of my car (again). Infuriating and disappointing. They could make me happy by sending me a brand new car with the exact same specs and then trade me out so they could go to school on my car and not make me suffer and feel like I bought a used Jeep Cherokee from CarMax.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:13 PM

AMG GT 63S; S 560
I noticed a clicking noise when the valet pulled mine around. Sounded like a large rock stuck in the tread hitting the pavement?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:34 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
have them pull the shields off the front brakes and try driving like that.
fredd3 (03-28-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
C63 Edition 507/E250 Bluetec
Do you have Carbon Ceramics?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 AMG GT63s
Originally Posted by Bruce Dong
I had same issue, and I actually just got the car back from the dealer just now. Dealer told me that they have found a bulletin from their xentry and there is a fix to it. The topic number is LI40. 10-P-059248 version 4

it basically tells you to sand down the brake disc.

i also had some noise coming from the back of the car when braking. Dealer hasn’t addressed the issue but I am currently waiting on rear spoiler software update. I will have them check out by then.
Had this same issue, Dealer pulled this LI number and it involves grinding down the back side of the wheels where the lug nuts to to form U channels on the inside diameter. Solved the issue.

I would doubt this would ever lead to a failure of any kind its just tolerances of machined parts.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Audi RS7
I have this problem as well, they tried the grind fix and its back. the performance is there and the car drives fine otherwise. I am continuing to inquire. I also have a wind noise they can't figure out as well. I bit disappointing but I still love the car
Old 07-30-2020, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi A7
Originally Posted by dg144
I have this problem as well, they tried the grind fix and its back. the performance is there and the car drives fine otherwise. I am continuing to inquire. I also have a wind noise they can't figure out as well. I bit disappointing but I still love the car
I had a wind noise problem too. It was coming from the passenger window. They changed the seal and it seems to be fixed. Just did it this week
Old 08-06-2020, 03:25 PM

C63 P31
Hi Everyone,

I had the exact same issue in-terms of loud clicking from the left and right wheel base when turning at full-lock.

I've had this issue resolved by MB

The issue was due to a lack of lubricant in the wheel bearings causing micro-stress to the rim. The dealership was able to resolve this for me in a few hours and I have not experienced any clicking in the past two days. The individual I spoke to mentioned that this is a known issue and has appeared in S63s as well. For reference they followed the TIPS document GT40.10-P-059194.

I also received this service free of charge.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amg GT63 S
Rattling noise

Hi,
just got my new AMG GT63S and i love the car, it is powerfull machine. Till now i allways had S-class(W221,W222) and maybe im used to S-class and its smooth ride but i have noticed lots of rattling noise on GT when im driving on bad roads...car is quiet when the road is good, but when im on bad road with lots of patched parts and small bumps car rattles a lot. The sound is coming from the roof, rear seats or something like that...i know that car has 21” wheels and its a sports car and lot firmer in comfort mode than S-class but my car is full spec car with load of extras and in my country with all the taxes car is payed 300.000€, for that amount i did not expect this wierd sounds...
Anyone notuced something like this?
Also i have added few pisc of the car

hyperion667 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Audi RS7
Thanks, I've contacted my dealer to get it fixed
dg
Old 08-15-2020, 09:00 AM

Amg GT63 S
Found the source of the rattling noise...the big center Burmaster 3-D speaker on roof was not fixed as it should be, it is simply not attached properly! When driving it rattles and when i press it with my hand the rattling noise stops. Guys from dealership took video of it and im waiting for a call to take the car for repair...
I have noticed this after 1500km...car has now 3000km. Still the whole car interior is much “noisier” than S-class.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:30 AM

2021 CLA 250
Originally Posted by goran124
Found the source of the rattling noise...the big center Burmaster 3-D speaker on roof was not fixed as it should be, it is simply not attached properly! When driving it rattles and when i press it with my hand the rattling noise stops. Guys from dealership took video of it and im waiting for a call to take the car for repair...
I have noticed this after 1500km...car has now 3000km. Still the whole car interior is much “noisier” than S-class.
That's great to hear! Rattling noises like this are always a pain to figure out. My wife's C300 has a rattling noise since new that's been checked on a few times on my insistence - but she is not bothered by it at all. My particular GT 53 was apparently built with a defective seating wiring harness, so the seat massage function never worked because it was missing a wire connection - you start questioning your assumptions about how much hand-fitting there is in a modern Mercedes.

The car is noisy, however, and this is what triggered me to respond. When I first drove the car, the tire/road noise almost caused me to laugh out loud. It was so much above the "commonly acceptable" amount that it completely blew past the "this is annoying“ stage and straight into the "you gotta be kidding" stage. I feel that most of the issue is caused by a lack of wheel well insulation? Driving over random groups of pebble washed onto the road by the rain and it sounds like the car is driving through a storm of bullets. Even my wife's C300 is quieter when driving through a similar storm of pebble-bullets.

Despite the noise, I love this car so far.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:55 PM

Amg GT63 S
Originally Posted by NovaOne
That's great to hear! Rattling noises like this are always a pain to figure out. My wife's C300 has a rattling noise since new that's been checked on a few times on my insistence - but she is not bothered by it at all. My particular GT 53 was apparently built with a defective seating wiring harness, so the seat massage function never worked because it was missing a wire connection - you start questioning your assumptions about how much hand-fitting there is in a modern Mercedes.

The car is noisy, however, and this is what triggered me to respond. When I first drove the car, the tire/road noise almost caused me to laugh out loud. It was so much above the "commonly acceptable" amount that it completely blew past the "this is annoying“ stage and straight into the "you gotta be kidding" stage. I feel that most of the issue is caused by a lack of wheel well insulation? Driving over random groups of pebble washed onto the road by the rain and it sounds like the car is driving through a storm of bullets. Even my wife's C300 is quieter when driving through a similar storm of pebble-bullets.

Despite the noise, I love this car so far.
i was refering mostly on the fact that there is a lot of rattling sounds which are not that loud, even when i solve the speaker problem, there still will be some noise coming from all over the car. Again a must say am used to drive S-class which is really quiet and much softer. For example when i get out of my driveway i had to go bacwards uphill and to right in really small space and it twistes the car and i can hear it...while S-class would be quiet like it is on flat surface...
Old 11-09-2021, 12:26 AM

2019 AMG GT 63s
Was there a fix?

Originally Posted by goran124
Hi goran124, I am having exact same issue with my 2019 AMG GT63s. Was dealer able to fix it? I am scheduled for service next month and curious as to the fix. Thx!
Old 11-09-2021, 12:28 AM

2019 AMG GT 63s
Hi Goran124, I am having exact same issue on my 2019 AMG GT63s with speaker rattle and it stops when holding it. Was there a fix by dealership? Thx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT63s Problems