Sponsored by:

2020 GT 53 Exhaust Problems After Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GT53
2020 GT 53 Exhaust Problems After Service

A month ago my ECU went out and the car would periodically not start. Took it in for service, they replaced it and updated some modules. Once I got the car back, the performance exhaust while in sport plus stopped working. It still farts when accelerating and it shifts, but all of the popping, growling, etc no longer happens. Service has admitted to causing the issue, and they do not have a fix. I was told it could be weeks to months before engineering gets involved. In the mean time I need to come pick up the car because it drives normal.

My problem is, its not the same car I bought, and this doesnt seem right. It would be like buying a Lamborghini, taking it for service, them knowingly break the exhaust. But expecting you to be ok with it because it still drives like a Lamborghini, just with no sound.

Any advice?
Old 04-03-2021, 11:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
The exhaust is not the thing that causes the crackles and pops, it's the ECU timing mapping. During certain RPMs and low engine loads it retards the timing enough to let the engine detonate well into the expansion cycle, which is what causes the pops and crackles.

Try setting the dynamic engine mode in the individual profile and see if you still get the pops in that mode.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GT53
Adjusting the settings changed nothing. They loaded some old software, that lasted about 2 days. Now I am on the back burner. Voicemails, etc. Going on a week with no contact from service. My mirrors stopped folding, checked settings. Turned it off and on, restarted the car. They stopped folding. The car shifts higher, holds revs, its not the same and no exhaust noise other than when it shifts into the next gear. Now the mirrors lol.

I am just over 25k miles. Maybe thats a good time to off these.

Last edited by Invictus87; 04-22-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Originally Posted by Invictus87
Adjusting the settings changed nothing. They loaded some old software, that lasted about 2 days. Now I am on the back burner. Voicemails, etc. Going on a week with no contact from service. My mirrors stopped folding, checked settings. Turned it off and on, restarted the car. They stopped folding. The car shifts higher, holds revs, its not the same and no exhaust noise other than when it shifts into the next gear. Now the mirrors lol.

I am just over 25k miles. Maybe thats a good time to off these.
You can try calling Mercedes directly and see if they would help. Also try a different dealership if you have alternatives nearby.