Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT 63 (cylinder de-activation in comfort mode)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT 63
AMG GT 63 (cylinder de-activation in comfort mode)

Still waiting on my order for GT 63. A question popped up in my head and I can't find the answer. Looking for some help here.

I'm reading that in comfort mode, the 4 cylinders are de-activated in the AMG-GT. I'm curious to understand what impact this has on MPG and if this is a positive or negative. Specifically, if my wife drives the car and leaves it in comfort (she's never going to push it hard), what kind of MPG would we expect? It's not a factor in my decision so much as a curious itch.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 Nissan GTR
I'm really curious about this as well. The idea of cylinder deactivation doesn't seem to be reflected in the MPG rating listed in the brochure.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:12 AM

2019 AMG GT 63
Well, if the MPG gauge is anything to go by ... When it flips in to 4 cylinder mode the MPG is certainly better. It doesn't stay there very long. Any stab at the throttle gets all 8 roaring again.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 Nissan GTR
Originally Posted by Malak0s
Well, if the MPG gauge is anything to go by ... When it flips in to 4 cylinder mode the MPG is certainly better. It doesn't stay there very long. Any stab at the throttle gets all 8 roaring again.
Oh so this is basically the "Gliding Mode" in other benz cars (?) Sounds like another MB gimmick
Old 07-11-2022, 12:33 PM

2019 AMG GT 63
No I don't think so.... Glide is when the drive train is decoupled for less drag in cruising situations. Im not sure if the GT63 does that too.... This is honestly cylinder deactivation but it only works in comfort mode and only with very light throttle application. Didn't really notice if it happens more or less after I put on the Renntech tune
Old 08-21-2022, 10:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
BMW M3 cabrio
If you set up Individual as reduced power, it will do both 4-cylinder and "sail" when appropriate-- 0-cylinders as it were (it's not "glide" as pointed out). Comfort will only do the 4-cylinder thing, not "sail" as far as I've seen.

I've first started using these modes during the recent spike in gas prices (till then I has stop/start permanently deactivated-- so neither of the above would ever come on.)

Its 100% true that 4-cylinder will only come on for short intervals and is always looking for a reason to try off as it were, but for the brief periods that it -is- on, on flat roads, steady speeds, MPG reports to be as much as 28MPG or so. So, on a long ride, w/ very unspirited driving, the savings are there, I'd think. But cannot be more that 2 or 3 MPG (a pure guess) on a long highway session. Still, I fond myself using it when on cruise control on dull drives.