Sponsored by:

GT63 disconnects engine power from tranny while driving, no warning lights etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 10:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
BMW M3 cabrio
GT63 disconnects engine power from tranny while driving, no warning lights etc

Hiya. Well, my 2020 GT63 has been cruising along beautifully lately, passed 30K miles, no drama of note recently.

Tonight while cruising at about 40mph, something felt off and the car started to slow-- no warning lights, car still very much in D-- but the net effect was as if I put it in neutral (which I definitely didn't.) It was going slower and slower and pressing the gas just revved the engine, no power to the wheels. I started planning where I was gonna ditch it, got over to the right and turned off on a side-road-- all on momentum. Just as it was about to stop, I felt something again-- can't quite describe it, but it somehow "told me" to try the gas again, which all of a sudden worked, was able to drive on normally. No warning lights or messages of any kind at any time.

I -do- think I noticed a bit of a "clunk" from the transmission both as I started driving it today and the other day-- but really minor, enough to make me notice but not give it a second thought (until this happened)-- but to was kinda odd for a car where I never notice the shifts during relaxed driving. Hard for me to figure its related, but I certainly don't know enough to rule it out. I feel like the transmission occasionally makes a harder-than-normal shift very recently and I -think- it did that as/right before the power cut, but I wouldn't swear to that at all.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by JonDiamond; 08-21-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,163 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by JonDiamond
Hiya. Well, my 2020 GT63 has been cruising along beautifully lately, passed 30K miles, no drama of note recently.

Tonight while cruising at about 40mph, something felt off and the car started to slow-- no warning lights, car still very much in D-- but the net effect was as if I put it in neutral (which I definitely didn't.) It was going slower and slower and pressing the gas just revved the engine, no power to the wheels. I started planning where I was gonna ditch it, got over to the right and turned off on a side-road-- all on momentum. Just as it was about to stop, I felt something again-- can't quite describe it, but it somehow "told me" to try the gas again, which all of a sudden worked, was able to drive on normally. No warning lights or messages of any kind at any time.

I -do- think I noticed a bit of a "clunk" from the transmission both as I started driving it today and the other day-- but really minor, enough to make me notice but not give it a second thought (until this happened)-- but to was kinda odd for a car where I never notice the shifts during relaxed driving. Hard for me to figure its related, but I certainly don't know enough to rule it out. I feel like the transmission occasionally makes a harder-than-normal shift very recently and I -think- it did that as/right before the power cut, but I wouldn't swear to that at all.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old post, but what was resolved?

By the way, I hope you have gotten a Mercedes-specific scanner by now so you could scan for DTCs.