Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative

My 2016 GT-S threw this message on the center dashboard today on the freeway. At first it alternated with another message which I forget. The entire center of the dashboard was "seized" and I could not bring up anything else whether it be speed or whatever. The cruise control was also disabled. In a few exits I pulled off to get some gas and when the car started up again the computer reset itself. I saw that this has been a problem with some other models which took a 2-3 hour software update to fix.

I called my dealership and the service adviser looked up my VIN and said there is no campaign about it and no software update is shown as needed. She seemed to think that the restart was sufficient and all is fine. I don't. At very least it is disconcerting and potentially hazardous. At any rate I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow. At least they can pull the code.

Has anyone else had this experience with this model?

I also posted this in the AMG Private Lounge.

Last edited by California John; 04-20-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I have been driving mine since last July and have not had any such messages on mine. Once in a great while I will purposely close on a vehicle while covering the brake to test the system and it tries to stop me very time. I just intercede as soon as the system starts to react.

Sounds like you have an issue with the compukor.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
s550 e 320
Originally Posted by Patric
I have been driving mine since last July and have not had any such messages on mine. Once in a great while I will purposely close on a vehicle while covering the brake to test the system and it tries to stop me very time. I just intercede as soon as the system starts to react.

Sounds like you have an issue with the compukor.
On my W222 they quit working on a long trip.. result was the rain and fog prevented the camera and radar from working. After getting out of the rain, worked fine.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I had a persistent message of "Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative" on my E-Class (message could be cleared from steering wheel buttons but would reappear next time the car was started). I brought the car to the dealer and they found that one of the sensors had lost its data connection with the main data bus. They "just" had to re-stare several processors in the proper sequence to restore communication. It has been a few months since this "re-boot" and all has been well.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
Lol, I didn't even know my car had this (2016 AMG GT S), til it came on one time haha, pretty cool!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
I got my car back today. Long story short, they couldn’t find anything to really hang this on. I have a copy of the “Initial quick test log” which shows all the codes most of which are benign, but when the car gave the message on the dashboard, it threw 3 specific codes tied to that event. I have scanned them below for your reading pleasure.

The service manager and the AMG tech who did the work said that they wonder if the problem could have been due to the proximity of my radar detector. They both have had some problems with customers related to radar detectors. They wanted to know if mine was on at the time and I said, “yes.” Whether that had something to do with it or not is unknown. They thought maybe that its response to something might have scrambled something and caused the MB system to freak out. There are a lot of “somethings” because the fault codes cleared upon restart and are not able to be duplicated. I have used a radar detector in the car for two months so one wonders as to why now it might have been the cause. But they seemed quite sincere and didn’t have anything definitive. There was nothing to fix.

All this data has been transmitted to MB and AMG they say - so we will see if it happens again. It is a relief to know that a restart clears it. Looking over the data in the print outs didn't say anything too specific or meaningful to me. The dash message is at the end.

These are the first two fault codes

This is the third fault code

Last edited by California John; 04-20-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I have a c300 and have been battling this issue. When the "Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative" message appears I lose the ability to accelerate - dangerous stuff. However, an error code did appear when the service department ran a diagnostic (see link to post below with more detail) Car is still in the shop (dropped it off on 4/7!) and the MB service manager called me today (still test driving the vehicle) and stated the new fix issued from HQ is to replace all the sensors along the front of the vehicle so that they fit more securely = better connection. The various service departments go between this error being purely a software issue (that was my first "fix"), to a mechanical issue (the new "fix") - they really need to figure it out before someone is seriously injured or killed.

The NHTSA website if chock full of these complaints...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...operative.html
Old 04-21-2016, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by SuperSibs
I have a c300 and have been battling this issue. When the "Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative" message appears I lose the ability to accelerate - dangerous stuff. However, an error code did appear when the service department ran a diagnostic (see link to post below with more detail) Car is still in the shop (dropped it off on 4/7!) and the MB service manager called me today (still test driving the vehicle) and stated the new fix issued from HQ is to replace all the sensors along the front of the vehicle so that they fit more securely = better connection. The various service departments go between this error being purely a software issue (that was my first "fix"), to a mechanical issue (the new "fix") - they really need to figure it out before someone is seriously injured or killed.

I am glad that my car's control was not impeded like yours. I was able to accelerate. BTW, do you use a radar detector?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Nope, no radar detector.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
My valentine radar detector would go off sometimes due to other cars, I was on a long highway trip one time and everytime this new 7 series bmw got close it would go off, that was in my Porsche 997
Old 04-25-2016, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
My old Valentine would also. But the new ones have Junk-K fighter built in so it doesn't go off being close to cars with lane-change or blind-spot warning systems which are built in many newer cars. Those cars often use weak K-band radar to "see" other vehicles nearby. The new V1 automatically rejects those.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300
2017 C300

I have a 2017 C300 with under 20k Miles. When I get this error my car will not switch into gears.
I’m having it towed to the dealership for the 3rd time with the same error code. 1st time something about 3 pins replaced on the switch to change the gears 2. The battery (really????) even I didn’t buy into that 3. I don’t really want to hear their next guess. After reading this it doesn’t seem safe to me.

The dealership seems to brush this problem off. I refuse to get back into that car.

Originally Posted by SuperSibs

Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 AM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Had the Audio head unit center screen do this lock up on my 16 Maybach and the 18 GTC. A reset solved the problem. Also on the GTC the cruise control stopped working with a message similar to your screen. I simply turned car off and restarted and all is well.

I suspect these cars simply occasionally need the CTL ALT Delete reset.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (12-25-2023)
Old 12-24-2020, 03:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG GTS
Has anybody found an actual solution to this problem? 🤔
Old 12-24-2020, 05:00 PM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
I believe a lot of different issues can cause this error code so the solution is rarely the same for two cars. For my car, I had this code and it was caused by an improperly adjusted brake switch.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by smith787
Has anybody found an actual solution to this problem? 🤔
I experienced this issue when pulling out of the warm garage into cold air. Was determined to be condensation that quickly developed between the sensor and plastics. Would cause the signal to bounce I suppose. I rarely drive it below freezing, but I found letting it sit for a couple minutes outside before driving did the trick for me. No problems since. Simple restart would clear the limp mode before doing this method.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:48 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
I had the same problem with my 2016 GTS, only thing that would make the warning go away was a key cycle. Luckily when i took it to the dealer they saw the code and said "module under dash" needed replacing, which took a week to get. So far no more warnings. That warning is annoying as you cant clear it.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:27 PM

AMG GTS
By any chance do you happen to have the part number of that module?
Old 12-28-2020, 04:29 PM

AMG GTS
Man it drives me nuts this message. It started happening on a rainy day. So I don't know if the sensors picked up water, or the radar sensors are faulty. But so far what I have researched like you said there is a couple things that could be but nothing definitive.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:54 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Originally Posted by smith787
By any chance do you happen to have the part number of that module?
I dont I am sorry, I would call my SA but he is off until the 4th.
I didnt get the repair order as I was in a hurry to get it out of there that day due to weather coming in.

One thing the mechanic checked when i first brough it in for it (didnt drop it off then) is he checked to make sure the cameras werent blocked by something, they are by the rear view mirror from the outside of the windscreen.