C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it me or....lot of new members with performance issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
All valid comments. Been there (still am actually) with some P-car purchases that in hindsight I shouldn't have made.

All C63s have by definition been driven hard (as in no one buys a C63 for the fuel economy) and most first owners never intended to keep it past the warranty period so they didn't exactly baby the car and waited for the oil to fully warm up before pushing it past 3K rpm. Some of them have had or still have an aftermarket tune, which after 6 years of runnign the car harder than designed has taken its toll on the engine which is now in the same state of fitness that a 15-year old motor with triple the miles would normally be in. Last but certainly not least, a significant percentage of people that are getting rid of them may be doing so because they detect the first signs of a problem and don't want to be faced with a costly repair so they dump the car.

The bad part is that while there are numerous perfectly maitained and reliable cars where the car hasnt' been abused and no expense has been spared on maintenance, all of them - the bad as well as the good ones - will equally take the depreciation hit. If you're one of the good guys and selling out of necessity (or boredom) - get all your service records together and offer a PPI to the prospective buyer at a shop of their choosing. To the prospective first-time buyers - find a decent MB shop in your area and get a full PPI done. Spending an extra $1K on three PPIs to find the right car is going to be a LOT cheaper than the $30K hole you may find yourself in with a car like this that has an issue that you're not aware of and will quickly escalate into a money pit.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Interesting. How exactly do you describe the PFL cars as being more raw?

I've never driven a FL to compare, but now these statements have me curious.

Me too. I thought the MCT transmission made the car drive a lot more aggressively than the old clunky box before it.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Had to edit this as I cannot put in some symbols such as the 'greater than' icon.

Bear in mind, I am coming out of a P30, which rode super hard even tho I eventually put H&Rs, but it was not as smooth all around. With the FL theres of course the cosmetic changes, and the upgrade of the electronics and materials in the cabin, but the ride is smoother, the transmission is better, the throttle tip in isn't as sensitive I don't think, sport & sport+ change ride and steering effort as well, and I think the car sounds the same but the sound proofing seems a little better in the cabin. Essentially they gave you a little more luxury but they also filed down some of the rougher edges, and I actually liked those and felt a little more connected to the drive train in the PFL. I liked that it was a not terribly subtle car, and frankly it looked more bad *** too. Its really interesting to drive a 2012+, cos it really does feel like another model between the PFL and the W205. I personally think that the W205 took it too far, so I am in a nice spot with this one.

Let me simplify it. In MY opinion it works like this:

W204 PFL was more AMG than MB
W204 FL is a balance between AMG and MB
W205 is more MB than AMG

Does that make sense? It was originally ***** out an AMG vehicle, Mercedes be damned.
Then they struck a balance with the W204 FL, and now they have a vehicle that is Mercedes first and foremost and as AMG as they can get it. I loved the full AMG cos it was just a German muscle car, and I like the FL as well cos Im older now and can use a little comfort. Im not as keen on the W205.

Last edited by 604 C63; 07-06-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by computertom
I just actually traded in my '09 that had some miles. Even at $26K with the heads done, coilovers, and a Wavetrac, all I really got were kids and tore kickers. The market for PFL cars is plummeting around here. Actually kinda miss that car as it had just a bit more edge than my '12 (that I completely love).
thats why i'll probably end up just taking mine to carmax or something if i decide to sell rather than deal with all the lookyloos
Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Had to edit this as I cannot put in some symbols such as the 'greater than' icon.

Bear in mind, I am coming out of a P30, which rode super hard even tho I eventually put H&Rs, but it was not as smooth all around. With the FL theres of course the cosmetic changes, and the upgrade of the electronics and materials in the cabin, but the ride is smoother, the transmission is better, the throttle tip in isn't as sensitive I don't think, sport & sport+ change ride and steering effort as well, and I think the car sounds the same but the sound proofing seems a little better in the cabin. Essentially they gave you a little more luxury but they also filed down some of the rougher edges, and I actually liked those and felt a little more connected to the drive train in the PFL. I liked that it was a not terribly subtle car, and frankly it looked more bad *** too. Its really interesting to drive a 2012+, cos it really does feel like another model between the PFL and the W205. I personally think that the W205 took it too far, so I am in a nice spot with this one.

W205 is more MB than AMG

Does that make sense? It was originally ***** out an AMG vehicle, Mercedes be damned.
Then they struck a balance with the W204 FL, and now they have a vehicle that is Mercedes first and foremost and as AMG as they can get it. I loved the full AMG cos it was just a German muscle car, and I like the FL as well cos Im older now and can use a little comfort. Im not as keen on the W205.
i know EXACTLY what you mean, i've got a p30 on the stock springs and its very harsh to drive especially on city roads. I mostly drive on the highway because its so jarring on rough roads.

the PFL has almost no luxury, and the FL models add a little more. I much prefer the electronics on the FL models but I like the look of the PFL better.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Spending an extra $1K on three PPIs to find the right car is going to be a LOT cheaper than the $30K hole you may find yourself in with a car like this that has an issue that you're not aware of and will quickly escalate into a money pit.
Solid advice. Ignore at your own peril.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30

W205 is more MB than AMG

Could not have said this better myself.

I always thought the FL looked muted compared to the PFL. Hood bulges seemed smaller, front bumper looked less aggressive, etc.

In my opinion (flame suit on), but definitely looks closer to a C300 or something.

On the W205 note, yes, looks incredibly muted compared to a PFL C63.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Old 07-07-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
lol I know someone will sh*t on me soon but it's just an opinion.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
lol I know someone will sh*t on me soon but it's just an opinion.
The w205s are virtually indistinguishable from each other without a spotters guide. At least in our gen the hood was fairly obvious. The 205 63 is longer than the other models too but that length is between the wheels and mostly rear leg room. Very very very hard to spot, even from side profile.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
lol I know someone will sh*t on me soon

Old 07-07-2016, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA

Hmm. I kinda take my statement back I guess.

Just saw INS1GNIA's car in his sig, and even though I personally prefer PFL's, his car looks sick as fuuuuuuuhhhh
Old 07-07-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 911 T, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
only "issue" i've been having with my car is passing emissions with these long tubes....
Old 07-08-2016, 12:17 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
New member, pre-owned, 3 months. No performance issue, knocking on wood. So far a happy camper.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by VR38DETT
New member, pre-owned, 3 months. No performance issue, knocking on wood. So far a happy camper.
Attaboy. Welcome aboard!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
Thank you. Mine is 2 door with p31. Besides some on and off in cabin rattles, I am very pleased with it.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'15 AMG GLA45
I remember a few years back when people were buying used Evo's and STi's for $15K. It was kinda terrifying to think that a 17yr old kid could afford one of those cars if he were bagging groceries or making iced mochas. I had an '05 and my insurance rates shot through the roof almost overnight. I don't think what's going on with the current crop of C63 owners is the same thing though. The prices of the W204 C63's just went down when the new W205 C63's came out last year. Lots of the later model ('12-'14) also seem to be coming off leases. It's a good time to be in the market right now.

As far as true cost of ownership, these cars are expensive but I'd wager my RS4 is higher in the "grab your ankles" department. Replacing 4 tires at a time because a flat couldn't be patched is no fun. Gotta love AWD. Having to do an $800 carbon clean every 30K miles too is a PITA. There's also a lot of labor costs to replace the clutch and a factory suspension that is prone to failure. Every car has its quirks but I'm certainly not going into this blind. It's worth it in my opinion though. I'm not sure we'll ever see a 6.2L V8 in a compact sedan again. Everything is about forced induction now.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 PP

W205 is more MB than AMG

It totally make sense! Actually I feel soo much the same way about what you said I had to comment about it!

Years ago, when I was shopping mine, I test drove both an 2012 FL Coupé and a 2011 PFL one after the other and I could see almost instantly that the old model was more "raw" then the new one. It's hard to pinpoint exactly all the reason why I felt that way but the biggest one I noticed instantly I think is the suspension is really more harsh on the old model.

It was weird because I was going there with buying the FL in mind as I liked the new interior (let's admit it, the PFL interior is pretty ugly and outdated) and better transmission (and it's awesome pop sound on upshift that the PFL is missing) and in the end, I actually choose and bought the PFL.

The more aggressive and better looking exterior + it's more "muscle car" feeling sold me on it.

I also agree about the W205 feeling less AMG. While I love a tons of stuff about the new car (especially the look of the Coupé) and I know it's better in many ways then the old car, I just can't seem to get as excited about it as I was for the W204.

The engine "downgrade" hurt it bad + in my area the price actually went up couple of thousands which I find hard to justify (maybe it's just the "new model" syndrome though and will adjust itself with time).

I'm looking forward soon to actually go test drive the new Coupé W205 model at my local dealer once they arrive. I really want to see how it feel for myself!

Hopefully I'll like it more then I think. I'm really worried about the engine noise not been as loud.

Like I said often to my tesla fan friends :

For these kind of luxury performance road cars, it's not about how fast the cars goes from 0-100km, it's about how the car does it.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Let's break up the monotony here a bit with some pcitures...how can you resist those cheeks?....such a cutie...

Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Let's break up the monotony here a bit with some pcitures...how can you resist those cheeks?....such a cutie...

Who's a good car? Thats right. You're a good car. You know you are. Such a good car. That's right. koooootchee koooootchee too! Good car!

Seriously tho. That silver pops nice.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Steiner
As far as true cost of ownership, these cars are expensive but I'd wager my RS4 is higher in the "grab your ankles" department.
I think you're right. For all the reasons you mention PLUS Audi has never given a fig about designing a car with service in mind. A 3 hr job on most cars is a 5 hr job on an Audi. I found that over and over and over again.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 111 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG

I def like the pre facelift bumper better. Way more aggressive. Nice looking whip!
Old 07-08-2016, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Hmm. I kinda take my statement back I guess.

Just saw INS1GNIA's car in his sig, and even though I personally prefer PFL's, his car looks sick as fuuuuuuuhhhh
Thank you very much! You still liking the new wide stance on yours AMG3.2 ?
Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by Arjy
only "issue" i've been having with my car is passing emissions with these long tubes....
Hahahha Love this!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Thank you very much! You still liking the new wide stance on yours AMG3.2 ?
Loving the look. Just such a different car now. I just need to snag a CF DTM spoiler...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is it me or....lot of new members with performance issues?