C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news after 1 month!! Cel, check coolant, smoke!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by myfault
So picked up my 09 a month ago with 11k miles from Mercedes greenway in Houston. 700 miles later... I'm sitting in traffic last night and all of the sudden starts shaking at idle, heats up, coolant light comes on, cel comes on, and white smoke out of the back. Pulled over and got towed to dealership.

Here we go
It's major bad news. Your head bolts have failed. But the good news is.....you're under warranty. Not only do you get all new design head bolts and manifold bolts....you get new lifters from the SLS63. Don't worry...be happy.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
OP already got it all fixed.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad it happened early instead of later. I've heard of bolts even failing before the 10K mile mark. Luck of the draw.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
It's major bad news. Your head bolts have failed. But the good news is.....you're under warranty. Not only do you get all new design head bolts and manifold bolts....you get new lifters from the SLS63. Don't worry...be happy.
all taken care of
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM

c230
Originally Posted by Sincity
Glad it happened early instead of later. I've heard of bolts even failing before the 10K mile mark. Luck of the draw.
me too! Glad I don't have to worry about it now
Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 PM

C63 AMG
C63 Head Bolt problem "most likely"

I bought a used C63 from Dallas on Wednesday and while driving back to Houston about half way I got a coolant leak light so I stop and get coolant, 3 min before I got to my house in Houston, I stopped at a light and all of a sudden i started seeing white smoke from my rear mirror I haven't seen that much smoke from a car I don't ever in my life...Anywsy while I was thinking what it could be and looking into the instrument cluster to see if I had a check engine or if the engine was heating up...I turn it off for 5 seconds and then turned it back on to drive to the parking lot...when I turned it back on it started idling like it was losing power and about to shut off but after the start everything went back to normal almost except for the smoke like crazy from the right exhaust pipes, and very little from the left..I park it fast after I turned it off before even entering the parking lot so I don't do anymore damage and then I waited and put coolant back in because I didn't know what exactly was happening and the coolant was pretty much empty...I restarted the engine and this time it didn't start with a rough idle, but normal except it was blowing smoke out like crazy again...after that no body turned the car on. I had it towed to Mercedes and of course nothing was going to happen there so I took it to my mechanic a couple days later(today) and we wanted to just see if the engine would turn to see how bad the problem was...i told my mechanic that I was the last person who turned it off, and only the dealership tried to start it after I told them not to but it wouldn't turn...we take out spark plugs and lift the car and turn the engine by hand spitting out oil from about 5 spark plug holes....what could this be? How bad? Could it be just a gasket that it needs and new head bolts?
thanks, I've read a lot to but I couldn't know what could be wrong with it with so little time knowing about the engine problems and weaknesses, but if anyone knows anything I would appreciate it, so I can heads up my mechanic tomorrow while we're removing the covers...!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 PM

C63 AMG
C63 Head Bolt problem "most likely"

I bought a used C63 from Dallas on Wednesday and while driving back to Houston about half way I got a coolant leak light so I stop and get coolant, 3 min before I got to my house in Houston, I stopped at a light and all of a sudden i started seeing white smoke from my rear mirror I haven't seen that much smoke from a car I don't ever in my life...Anywsy while I was thinking what it could be and looking into the instrument cluster to see if I had a check engine or if the engine was heating up...I turn it off for 5 seconds and then turned it back on to drive to the parking lot...when I turned it back on it started idling like it was losing power and about to shut off but after the start everything went back to normal almost except for the smoke like crazy from the right exhaust pipes, and very little from the left..I park it fast after I turned it off before even entering the parking lot so I don't do anymore damage and then I waited and put coolant back in because I didn't know what exactly was happening and the coolant was pretty much empty...I restarted the engine and this time it didn't start with a rough idle, but normal except it was blowing smoke out like crazy again...after that no body turned the car on. I had it towed to Mercedes and of course nothing was going to happen there so I took it to my mechanic a couple days later(today) and we wanted to just see if the engine would turn to see how bad the problem was...i told my mechanic that I was the last person who turned it off, and only the dealership tried to start it after I told them not to but it wouldn't turn...we take out spark plugs and lift the car and turn the engine by hand spitting out oil from about 5 spark plug holes....what could this be? How bad? Could it be just a gasket that it needs and new head bolts?
thanks, I've read a lot to but I couldn't know what could be wrong with it with so little time knowing about the engine problems and weaknesses, but if anyone knows anything I would appreciate it, so I can heads up my mechanic tomorrow while we're removing the covers...!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I hope you have a warranty
Old 10-29-2016, 12:25 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I hope you have a warranty
I actually did, buttt they were saying to take it back because it's a pre existing issue, they said without having any proof that it was pre-existing...they said they can get an adjustor to come after I have the engine taken apart and when the problem is found, and what caused it. I also read in the documents from the warranty company that they wont cover it, if the parts damaged aren't from a lubricated part issue. Something like that...anyway thanks
Old 10-29-2016, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
[QUOTE=Stefanos_Greece;6954952]I bought a used C63 from Dallas on Wednesday and while driving back to Houston about half way I got a coolant leak light so I stop and get coolant, 3 min before I got to my house in Houston, I stopped at a light and all of a sudden i started seeing white smoke from my rear mirror I haven't seen that much smoke from a car I don't ever in my life...Anywsy while I was thinking what it could be and looking into the instrument cluster to see if I had a check engine or if the engine was heating up...I turn it off for 5 seconds and then turned it back on to drive to the parking lot...when I turned it back on it started idling like it was losing power and about to shut off but after the start everything went back to normal almost except for the smoke like crazy from the right exhaust pipes, and very little from the left..I park it fast after I turned it off before even entering the parking lot so I don't do anymore damage and then I waited and put coolant back in because I didn't know what exactly was happening and the coolant was pretty much empty...I restarted the engine and this time it didn't start with a rough idle, but normal except it was blowing smoke out like crazy again...after that no body turned the car on. I had it towed to Mercedes and of course nothing was going to happen there so I took it to my mechanic a couple days later(today) and we wanted to just see if the engine would turn to see how bad the problem was...i told my mechanic that I was the last person who turned it off, and only the dealership tried to start it after I told them not to but it wouldn't turn...we take out spark plugs and lift the car and turn the engine by hand spitting out oil from about 5 spark plug holes....what could this be? How bad? Could it be just a gasket that it needs and new head bolts?
thanks, I've read a lot to but I couldn't know what could be wrong with it with so little time knowing about the engine problems and weaknesses, but if anyone knows anything I would appreciate it, so I can heads up

When the joint between the block and cylinder head opens up due to probably a head bolt issue and/or head gasket failure you get oil in the coolant and coolant in the cylinder which makes all the steam - not smoke.
It's a ***** but....? Sorry for your troubles. Best to pull both heads and do it all at one time. It won't be cheaper just to do one side in the long run. The other side can go at anytime and since the top of the engine will be open do it all.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:38 AM

C63 AMG
Has anyone ever filed any lawsuits against Mercedes for the bs motor problems? Everyone has this problem and just because they don't want to have to pay extra they don't do a recall....okk... If we could raise attention to all the 156 engine owners who have experienced this issue, I think it would be in all of our favors to be getting either repaired engines or new. They should've done this thereselves, my dad owns a 1953 180D and it never needed a rebuild and him and his dad used it as a taxi in Greece...The motors should be improving no???
Old 10-29-2016, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Stefanos_Greece
Has anyone ever filed any lawsuits against Mercedes for the bs motor problems? Everyone has this problem and just because they don't want to have to pay extra they don't do a recall....okk... If we could raise attention to all the 156 engine owners who have experienced this issue, I think it would be in all of our favors to be getting either repaired engines or new. They should've done this thereselves, my dad owns a 1953 180D and it never needed a rebuild and him and his dad used it as a taxi in Greece...The motors should be improving no???
I hear you but the cost vs. reward equation has to be considered.
As I understand it the head bolt issue affected only 2008-2011 cars.
Production in 2008 was what, 500 cars? 2009 was supposed to be less so let's assume maybe 2500 cars tops world wide? How many folks do you think it would take to fight DB through court and at what cost? You lose you pay their cost too and they will spend to win. In my experience they will fight you on most anything so replacing 2500 motifs at $10000 a pop will get you a war.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Classic Head Bolt Failure

[QUOTE=Alex.currie44;6955018]
Originally Posted by Stefanos_Greece
I bought a used C63 from Dallas on Wednesday and while driving back to Houston about half way I got a coolant leak light so I stop and get coolant, 3 min before I got to my house in Houston, I stopped at a light and all of a sudden i started seeing white smoke from my rear mirror I haven't seen that much smoke from a car I don't ever in my life...Anywsy while I was thinking what it could be and looking into the instrument cluster tee if I had a check engine or if the engine was heating up...I turn it off for 5 seconds and then turned it back on to drive to the parking lot...when I turned it back on it started idling like it was losing power and about to shut off but after the start everything went back to normal almost except for the smoke like crazy from the right exhaust pipes, and very little from the left..I park it fast after I turned it off before even entering the parking lot so I don't do anymore damage and then I waited and put coolant back in because I didn't know what exactly was happening and the coolant was pretty much empty...I restarted the engine and this time it didn't start with a rough idle, but normal except it was blowing smoke out like crazy again...after that no body turned the car on. I had it towed to Mercedes and of course nothing was going to happen there so I took it to my mechanic a couple days later(today) and we wanted to just see if the engine would turn to see how bad the problem was...i told my mechanic that I was the last person who turned it off, and only the dealership tried to start it after I told them not to but it wouldn't turn...we take out spark plugs and lift the car and turn the engine by hand spitting out oil from about 5 spark plug holes....what could this be? How bad? Could it be just a gasket that it needs and new head bolts?<br />thanks, I've read a lot to but I couldn't know what could be wrong with it with so little time knowing about the engine problems and weaknesses, but if anyone knows anything I would appreciate it, so I can heads up<br /><br />When the joint between the block and cylinder head opens up due to probably a head bolt issue and/or head gasket failure you get oil in the coolant and coolant in the cylinder which makes all the steam - not smoke.<br />It's a ***** but....? Sorry for your troubles. Best to pull both heads and do it all at one time. It won't be cheaper just to do one side in the long run. The other side can go at anytime and since the top of the engine will be open do it all.
<br />This is classic head bolt failure. This is an expensive fix. The entire top half of the engine needs to come off. MBZ has a service bulletin on this problem. The parts list is several pages long. My guess is the seller knew the problem.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 10-29-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
I hear you but the cost vs. reward equation has to be considered.
As I understand it the head bolt issue affected only 2008-2011 cars.
Production in 2008 was what, 500 cars? 2009 was supposed to be less so let's assume maybe 2500 cars tops world wide? How many folks do you think it would take to fight DB through court and at what cost? You lose you pay their cost too and they will spend to win. In my experience they will fight you on most anything so replacing 2500 motifs at $10000 a pop will get you a war.
Plus it's not all cars. I don't know if anyone really knows how many cars were actually affected, but it's nowhere near the majority, not even on our boards. No real rhyme or reason has ever been established in terms of who it strikes or when. How you have driven it apparently plays no role. Just bad luck of the draw. Crappy. Really, really crappy.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DuaneC63
This is classic head bolt failure. This is an expensive fix. The entire top half of the engine needs to come off. MBZ has a service bulletin on this problem. The parts list is several pages long. My guess is the seller knew the problem.
Bingo. Seller definitely knew. Bring the car back to the seller and demand your money back. If they don't, put your fist through their face over and over and over again until they do. Burn down their house. Kill their dog. Threaten their kids. Do whatever it takes. They ****ed you on purpose. That can not stand.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:43 PM

C63 AMG
Zoomed in on different colored side

Before

if I was living in the spartan age, that's not all I would do....I made a big mistake buying its 4 hours away....Now I just need to find out what exactly is wrong with it..! I have some updates by the way... drivers side of engine looks dry and like sort of burnt...i used my fingernail to try and see if it'll scrape off and it did, keep in mind that, it was the passengers side that was blowing the "smoke" from the tailpipe....barely anything from the side that looks burnt..but maybe that was from before or is this normal? What can the issue be? Monday and Wednesday we will be getting the appropriate tools to take rest off and see what's going on...just curious in case anyone has had the same or almost the same problems to tell me what they had to do/fix or replace. Also engine temp when I was looking at cluster when all that was first happening, oil temp reached 270deg.. i don't think that little difference could cause the right side to burn up? Unless it's not burnt, because neither does my mechanic know if its like that from the factory..!. Thanks everyone....good day

Last edited by Stefanos_Greece; 10-29-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Alex and BLK, at the risk of being a "how to DIY" for scammers, how do you figure the seller knew and was able to to hold it together long enough to sell and for Stephanos to drive for several hours? Serious question. Do you think he perhaps had a pressure test done and saw the writing on the wall, put it for sale and dodged a bullet? Or what are your thoughts there.
I ask out of personal curiosity but also cos if we know how the scam works then we also know how to avoid it.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Beats me. But the car blowing up on the way home from the sale tells me that the seller had to know. There is no such thing as coincidences. Maybe it was there but the buyer didn't notice smoke on the test drive?

Stefanos_Greece- as you have a PFL car, 100% this is a headbolt-related failure. Sorry to say this, but if the engine isn't turning over now, then you damaged it far beyond the original headbolt failure, and now there is likely big internal damage. For future reference, when any car starts billowing smoke out the exhaust, you shut it down and don't attempt to restart or drive or anything.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 10-29-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Alex and BLK, at the risk of being a "how to DIY" for scammers, how do you figure the seller knew and was able to to hold it together long enough to sell and for Stephanos to drive for several hours? Serious question. Do you think he perhaps had a pressure test done and saw the writing on the wall, put it for sale and dodged a bullet? Or what are your thoughts there.
I ask out of personal curiosity but also cos if we know how the scam works then we also know how to avoid it.
The only other way I can think of is that for whatever reason the previous owner tested his oil and found traces of coolant, then traded it in while it was still running fine. I have actually tested the oil mid-fill myself when I had some (still) unexplained coolant loss. Thankfully that was a false alarm.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:29 PM

C63 AMG
blk--- I knew better not to restart but I was in fu***** shock and i was just thinking what I'm going to do if this car has a bad engine failure, plus I was on a busy street and I rather not get killed by idiots just for a car... so I went and parked and left it there...And I never said the engine wouldn't turn..engines turning....the only time the engine didn't turn was when I had it at the Mercedes Greenway dealer(worst) here in Houston and they couldn't even take out the spark plugs to try and turn engine by hand, those are some more thieves...I wasn't expecting more from them honestly. This will turn out to be an expensive buy just because the dealer and warranty company don't want to have anything to do with anything. I've already talked to my lawyer and if there's something that could've been from before and we can prove it, and it's more than I want to spend, then I'll probably end up suing the dealer that I bought it from. But if I find out that the damage just so happened to happen at that exact moment, and it's covered, I'll have my warranty company come look at it.

Last edited by Stefanos_Greece; 10-29-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Stefanos, the first thing about your story that gave me any sense of relief was that you bought it from a dealer of some variety, and not off a private seller.

Any chance you bought from an MB dealer?

#FingersCrossed
Old 10-29-2016, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Alex and BLK, at the risk of being a "how to DIY" for scammers, how do you figure the seller knew atnd was able to to hold it together long enough to sell and for Stephanos to drive for several hours? Serious question. Do you think he perhaps had a pressure test done and saw the writing on the wall, put it for sale and dodged a bullet? Or what are your thoughts there.
I don't recall or see where I suggested the seller knew. I do not however think a lawsuit against DB has a snowballs chance in Barbados of succeeding.
That said to your point it is luck as much as anything.
My daughter was sitting at Horseshoe Bay waiting for the ferry in their 4Runner with the boat on the hitch when the head gasket let go. No warning whatsoever.
Unless it was pumping out steam on the test drive and pre buy inspection it is conceivable that the seller did not know this particular car was about to blow a head gasket.
I sold a car years ago that lost its head gasket 8 weeks after the sale. The guy worked in the same company. He accepted there was no way to know.
We want someone to blame but in thus case....?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Sorry Alex. That was Duane's reply. My bad.

Yeah, sometimes its just crappy timing. I think once you are off the lot you are SOL, but my hope for Stefanos is that the dealer will prepared to deal with it just on account of the lousy optics if nothing else.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:46 PM

C63 AMG
Unfortunately not my friend, the dealer had high ratings and while I was looking at their inventory online before I went over there, they sell A LOT of Mercedes all in excellent condition! How pricey will this repair be? Any clue?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
>5k.

Internet based guess tho from a 6 hr flight away, so take that for what its worth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad news after 1 month!! Cel, check coolant, smoke!