E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Need Advice

Well after installing my new rims i started noticing a slight click on slightly moderate acceleration and then another click when it comes to a stop. Noticed it the day of my new rims put on. Problem with the clicking when coming to a stop goes away after 20+minutes of driving but under moderate acceleration the click is still there just not as bad. Its very specific from passenger rear.

Well i lift the car as the car is lifting i can here clicking sound
coming from the wheel and the once in the air i try to push on the wheel in and out of the wheel well so i can here clicking and i get it somewhat depending how i push or twist the rim. So i take of the wheel and inspect to see if the bolts are correct size and they seem to be correct and i check my hub other then minute rust i see nothing abnormal. I try pushing and tugging on brake rotor and other suspension components and nothing.

So i said let me check the back of the actual Rim since its the only thing i havent checked. I see that the center where it sits against the hub was grinded down but im assuming thats probably normal practice amoung wheel shops to get correct backspacing. The pic is attached either way.

Here is what i know:

This happened right after install of new rims.

There is no noise or i cant replicate it when the wheel is off the car.

The rim looks a bit weird like it was grinded but not sure if that will cause the problem.

Last edited by karpetcm; 11-14-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 684 Likes on 496 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
CV axle? Does the click get louder when you turn a hard corner?

Brake caliper? Any sloppiness on the caliper or pads?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
CV axle? Does the click get louder when you turn a hard corner?

Brake caliper? Any sloppiness on the caliper or pads?
Thanks for your reply, no sloppines with the pads or caliper. I hit and yanked on the caliper pretty hard. No sound when i make a turn either. Click is only present when moderate acceleration from a stop or tapping gas at low speeds or coming to a stop it will click once right when im about to stop. Theres no repetitive clicking at all.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 684 Likes on 496 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Suspension components can appear tight when trying to move them by hand but when you start putting the force of an engine or brakes against them will move and click. A pry bar can help reveal loose parts.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
are you wheel weights contacting anything when vehicle's wheels are rotating?

+1 on after market brake components..... it might not look like there's slop but the weight of the vehicle will for sure cause movement if parts don't fit precisely.....
Old 11-16-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
If the wheels have been replaced with aftermarket wheels, you may have the wrong lug bolts. W210 cars had on sized bolt, and W211 took another, but some wheel vendors will make the wheel for both, but you have to get bolts with a different radius head. I went through this with a set, if you have the smaller head, and use wheels that want the larger head, it can crack the seat of the wheel, if the head is larger than required, it might not seat properly.