GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Do I need to replace tire with run flats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 300
Do I need to replace tire with run flats?

When I eventually have to get new tires I'm just wondering if there are other options to getting run flats?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes GLC43
Well did you pick up the warranty for the tires and wheels? If so then you shouldn't have to worry about it the Dealership will honor those tires when they need replacing. However if you didn't you can go and get any tires that you want.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by eleebro
Well did you pick up the warranty for the tires and wheels? If so then you shouldn't have to worry about it the Dealership will honor those tires when they need replacing. However if you didn't you can go and get any tires that you want.
I didn't pick up the warranty. If I don't get run flats and don't have a spare then that's bad news, especially since it's my GF's car and shes going accuse I left her out there to die. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 S550, 2019 GTC Coupe
Give her the option, smoother ride vs flat tires. She's got a phone so she'll never be stranded.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
My understanding is that if you don't replace the tyres with run-flats, then your dealer will strongly suggest that you also get the tyre-fix kit fitted, which inflates the tyre with goo. I'm giving this option some thought for my GLC, but I'm inclined to leave the run-flats on my wife's B200, so that she doesn't get stranded. If you get the goo kit then you'd want to be certain that the driver was capable of using it if needed. There's a certain class of driver for whom run-flats are well suited.
The following 2 users liked this post by bips:
fearyoda (12-02-2016), HotRodW (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
Tired of rattled fillings and sore kidneys, I replaced my BMW's run-flats with conventional tires after just a few thousand miles. I also have conventional winter tires to mount on our GLC when it arrives. Roadside assistance is plan A in the event of a problem, but we carry one of these just in case.

The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
bips (12-01-2016), fearyoda (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Tired of rattled fillings and sore kidneys, I replaced my BMW's run-flats with conventional tires after just a few thousand miles. I also have conventional winter tires to mount on our GLC when it arrives. Roadside assistance is plan A in the event of a problem, but we carry one of these just in case.
Can I ask how much difference conventional tyres made to the ride?

I've raised the harsh ride of my GLC in a couple of other threads, esp the way it crashes into potholes. So far I've test driven a GLC AMG 43 with air suspension and regular tyres, and it was a lot better. I hope to be able to drive a local demo 220 petrol with air. But upgrading to a new car with air is likely to be cost prohibitive. Changing the tyres is an option, if I could be sure of the benefits. It was suggested to me that I get my dealer to do a temporary swap of tyres on my car to enable me to assess the difference, but I don't like my chances. So I'm keen to hear the experiences of others who have made this tyre swap.

[I already carry a complete fifth wheel for travel away from my city, and esp to remote areas, as 80kms it not all that far to travel to get a flat fixed or replaced in this country.]
Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I think there has been some misinformation here:

1) Original "run flats" were used by BMW and Mercedes on full size SUV's - designed from truck tires - with aluminum disc inside the tire - tire goes flat - runs on the disc up to 100 miles at reduced speed. Run-Flats were horrible ride - harsh - bad handling - low tread lfe - like 10K

2) Extended Mobility is what the GLC's (and many other namuf models) now have - has a different design on the sidewall - so can run up to 30 miles at reduced speed - designed to let you get to "safe place". OK riding tire - downside is getting a flat on a trip and having to replace one tire with closest match available - often a standard tire.
A tire flat kit is a good investment - frankly I have not had customer complaints about ride or handling on Extended Mobility.
Sure - I too prefer to have a spare - but on sustainability not having spare "saves the planet" more.
Wheel/tire coverage getting to be a better bet on almost any vehicle - since tire and/or wheel damage is covered.
Note - tires on new vehicles do not come with road hazard - replacement tires can come with road hazard - and my opinion tire manif road hazard is sh*t anyway

Hope this helps clear the air - this is not a Mercedes thing - it's where the car industry is headed - like Extended Mobilty on Bentley or Mercedes S-Class

Keep the beat !
Old 12-01-2016, 07:39 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by bips
Can I ask how much difference conventional tyres made to the ride?

I've raised the harsh ride of my GLC in a couple of other threads, esp the way it crashes into potholes. So far I've test driven a GLC AMG 43 with air suspension and regular tyres, and it was a lot better. I hope to be able to drive a local demo 220 petrol with air. But upgrading to a new car with air is likely to be cost prohibitive. Changing the tyres is an option, if I could be sure of the benefits. It was suggested to me that I get my dealer to do a temporary swap of tyres on my car to enable me to assess the difference, but I don't like my chances. So I'm keen to hear the experiences of others who have made this tyre swap.

[I already carry a complete fifth wheel for travel away from my city, and esp to remote areas, as 80kms it not all that far to travel to get a flat fixed or replaced in this country.]
It was a substantial improvement. The car had the M sport suspension, and on our battered Michigan roads the firm springs and rock-hard run-flat tires could make the ride borderline brutal. I went with Continental DWS on the factory wheels and was impressed with the difference. The ride could still be harsh at times, but it took the edge off. Imagine driving with your tires pumped to 50 or 60 PSI for a month, then dropping the pressures down to 30. That's what it felt like.

We went with 19" wheels on the GLC hoping to avoid such problems. There is more sidewall than I had on the BMW, and run-flats have improved, so I'm optimistic. Our first three months will be spent on the conventional winter tires. If we don't like the feel of the run-flats when they go on in the spring, I have a 19" aftermarket wheel/tire package from our Q5 I can bolt on to test. Hopefully it won't be necessary.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 PM

GLC 250D
It was a substantial improvement. The car had the M sport suspension, and on our battered Michigan roads the firm springs and rock-hard run-flat tires could make the ride borderline brutal. I went with Continental DWS on the factory wheels and was impressed with the difference. The ride could still be harsh at times, but it took the edge off. Imagine driving with your tires pumped to 50 or 60 PSI for a month, then dropping the pressures down to 30. That's what it felt like.
Thanks. Given the comment from fabbrisd1, when was this? Might these BMW run-flats have been the older ones with the aluminium disk?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by bips
Thanks. Given the comment from fabbrisd1, when was this? Might these BMW run-flats have been the older ones with the aluminium disk?
It was just a few years ago. I believe the O.E. tire is still available today.

Run-flats have not changed much in recent years. There have been minor improvements, but the majority of passenger car run-flat tires are made the the same way (with reinforced sidewalls). The disadvantages of higher weight, higher cost, shorter tread life and harsh ride remain. Because there is little give when impacted, there is also a higher risk of damaging a wheel when encountering a curb or a pothole.

Last edited by HotRodW; 12-02-2016 at 12:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bips (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:53 AM

GLC 300
Thank you everybody for the feedback.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:13 AM

GLC 250D
Run-flats have not changed much in recent years. There have been minor improvements, but the majority of passenger car run-flat tires are made the the same way (with reinforced sidewalls). The disadvantages of higher weight, higher cost, shorter tread life and harsh ride remain. Because there is little give when impacted, there is also a higher risk of damaging a wheel when encountering a curb or a pothole.
I understand the principle. The real question is the size of the effect with current tyres. You addressed that. Thx. I am surprised that fabbrisd1 hasn't had any customer complaints - must have mighty good roads in his localityl