S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Long times guys, just an update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Long times guys, just an update

A little over a year ago, I sold my CL and bought a CLS which I have been enjoying a lot. Lately, I got engaged. The finance came with a Camry with no ABS so that didn't fly to well with me. So, I let her have the CLS. My S Class, for awhile, has sat under a carport with the most basic of attention.

Well, I started driving it again. In the past 1 month, so much manitence was needed in a car, especially since I hadn't used much. I went from driving it every day for about 15k miles a year to this year I think I have put 3k on it.

List as Follows:

-Front Air Shocks (WOW there a lot cheaper now than I remember a few years ago. $150 a piece and changed it myself)

-Engine Mounts (didn't think they would make such a huge difference but boy oh boy, feels better than when I first bought it)

-fliters and "most fluids" (not touching the trans)

-New Radiator (extremely small leak was there that I have lived with for some time)

-New upper coolant hose ( large leak that I lived with for a short second) (matter of fact, this hose leak started the whole redo process)

-4 new goodyear eagles (old tires had dry rotted)

-New cd changer ( Music sounds better from the changer than listening to tp on any other media in the bose system, old one took a swim when I partially left the drunk open one night)

- New turn lights in mirrors (not only where they out but they looked bad too)

-Rust repair around center pillars of car (looked bad and made the car look bad )( still need to fix bottom part of door but its negligible and not noticeable at the moment )

-New Emblems ( the 5 in my S500 symbol in the rear came off, ordered another. had to buy the whole dang thing)

-And finally a good wash.

HOLY CRAP it Is amazing. I am upset with myself for letting it get this bad. I cant believe how amazing it rides. I actually enjoy it more than my CLS now. I have had 3 S class models and I have had this one for I believe 5-6 years and today, it feels like the first day I ever had one. Just wanted to share how much I really enjoy this old thing and that I am glad I invested a few dollars into it ($2500 total) instead of selling. When everything works, its truly the best thing out there.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
Welcome back ! It still looks amazing after sitting

but but yes letting these cars sit is the absolute worst thing for them
Old 12-14-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
"...old one took a swim when I partially left the drunk open one night..."

Typo, or Freudian slip?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Looking real good.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
Hehehe, we all know when our 220s are working, there's nothing like it (especially the looks)!
Enjoy her!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Originally Posted by wallyp
"...old one took a swim when I partially left the drunk open one night..."

Typo, or Freudian slip?

Freudian slip. I was use to the locking mechanism pulling the trunk down. One day it latched but didn't pull down and was riding crazy. Luckily the bottom of the CD player was the only thing that got wet