Shed me some light on canbus led

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220 cdi
Shed me some light on canbus led

Hi.
Anyone please recommend canbus led for this kind of taillight. Brake lights, fog lamp, taillight to be specific.

I am new to MB and I have no idea how to choose them.
My previous owner installed a new taillight which I learned later that didn't come with canbus led. Just wanted to get rid off error message.

Thanks a lot

Old 01-01-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Those Led taillights have a whole circuit board in them. Only two bulbs are not LEDS in those, and they are the Reverse and Turn signals. If you are getting an error from the brake lights then the unit itself is the problem, and you need new taillights. The photo online is the best I can find to show that there is no bulb just a board and a ground. The second photo will show what two bulbs you can replace the top ones, which I believe are 7507 bulbs. A photo of the error will help in what your exact problem is. Last thing you cannot run led turn signals without a a resistor of some sort it's impossible for the w211, you might be able to get away with the reverse bulb.

No bulb just the circuit board

7507 bulbs go here.

Last edited by CDIJeff; 01-01-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Just install the original lights and your issue will be resolved.

There is a reason why Engineers select certain components and once tinkered with, they do NO longer work properly.

Good luck with your fix, and keep us posted.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM

e220 cdi
Originally Posted by CDIJeff
Those Led taillights have a whole circuit board in them. Only two bulbs are not LEDS in those, and they are the Reverse and Turn signals. If you are getting an error from the brake lights then the unit itself is the problem, and you need new taillights. The photo online is the best I can find to show that there is no bulb just a board and a ground. The second photo will show what two bulbs you can replace the top ones, which I believe are 7507 bulbs. A photo of the error will help in what your exact problem is. Last thing you cannot run led turn signals without a a resistor of some sort it's impossible for the w211, you might be able to get away with the reverse bulb.

No bulb just the circuit board

7507 bulbs go here.
Both brake lights and turn signals work fine. The problem is it seems to me that the fog lamps are always on(knob is not pulled) and when I pull the knob 2 clicks the light(bottom) stays the same...so bright it could blind whoever driving behind. I'll attached pictures later.

Rear foglamp that stays on

Turn signal is a bulb

Brake light

Last edited by Jamikorn; 01-01-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Ok then the rear fog light is stuck on, I really don't know much about the setup, do you have the exact error code maybe get more info from online. Hopefully it is something easy as a brake light switch.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 PM

e220 cdi
Ok then the rear fog light is stuck on, I really don't know much about the setup, do you have the exact error code maybe get more info from online. Hopefully it is something easy as a brake light switch.
One more question to you sir.
which on is the foglamp? -- the left one, isn't it?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Jamikorn
One more question to you sir.
which on is the foglamp? -- the left one, isn't it?

Thanks
In a normal halogen its the brake light on the drivers side, regardless if its right hand drive or left. It seems the LED model it might be thinking the running lights are the rear fog lights or they are wired wrong that's why those bottom leds are always on. However I am not sure if the tail light is the culprit, as mentioned those bottom leds are always on even when the knob isn't turned. From what you mentioned and what I can piece together from the photos those bottom leds should not turn on until you turn on your headlights. The problem is I just don't know enough about where those tail lights came from and original wiring.

OK I found another person on the forum with LED tail lights little similar to yours, with the bottom in the leds are the running lights/reverse fog light.
I hate to say it the more I think about your the more I think they are broken, wish you had access to stock tail light to see the error message go away.
However I really think it might just be two wires messed up or crimped.
I was looking at these exact tail light leds myself a while ago, (NVR ENUF) owner of this Mercedes, has another article on benzworld as well almost same information.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...il-lights.html Click link to left for more information.

Last edited by CDIJeff; 01-02-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 AM

e220 cdi
In a normal halogen its the brake light on the drivers side, regardless if its right hand drive or left. It seems the LED model it might be thinking the running lights are the rear fog lights or they are wired wrong that's why those bottom leds are always on. However I am not sure if the tail light is the culprit, as mentioned those bottom leds are always on even when the knob isn't turned. From what you mentioned and what I can piece together from the photos those bottom leds should not turn on until you turn on your headlights. The problem is I just don't know enough about where those tail lights came from and original wiring.

OK I found another person on the forum with LED tail lights little similar to yours, with the bottom in the leds are the running lights/reverse fog light.
I hate to say it the more I think about your the more I think they are broken, wish you had access to stock tail light to see the error message go away.
However I really think it might just be two wires messed up or crimped.
I was looking at these exact tail light leds myself a while ago, (NVR ENUF) owner of this Mercedes, has another article on benzworld as well almost same information.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...il-lights.html Click link to left for more information.

Right parking lamp

Left parking lamp

Taillights with headlamps on

Taillights with headlamps on and brake lights

Let's make it clear that all the lights are working fine.

My concern is that the taillights seem too bright, and I can't turn on or off the rear fog lamps [my car has 2 rear fog lamps], thus annoying someone who drives behind at night time.

My question is
1. Which LED is my fog lamps ? [I notice there are 2 panels of LED in taillights]
2. Is it normal for LED taillights to be this bright or is it the fog lamps being turned on all the time? [My car has 2 rear fog lamps]
3. Is it possible that the taillights and fog lamps share these 2 LED panels? --Taillights are dim, and when the fog lamps are activated, more voltage goes into the LED and makes them brighter.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Jamikorn; 01-03-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:47 AM

2005 E320 CDI
I get it now.
Yeah then it appears to be working fine, the bottom leds are the fog and running lights or as you mentioned them parking lamps all in one, LEDs are that bright.
If its not getting any brighter with rear fog lights on compared to the black Mercedes I showed you, that is just the way they aftermarket lights are wired, or don't have a dimmer ability. It is either on or off.
The #3 option is what should happen when you put on the rear fog lights parking lamps should get brighter.

Last edited by CDIJeff; 01-03-2017 at 01:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jamikorn (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 02:14 AM

e220 cdi
I get it now.
Yeah then it appears to be working fine, the bottom leds are the fog and running lights or as you mentioned them parking lamps all in one, LEDs are that bright.
If its not getting any brighter with rear fog lights on compared to the black Mercedes I showed you, that is just the way they aftermarket lights are wired, or don't have a dimmer ability. It is either on or off.
The #3 option is what should happen when you put on the rear fog lights parking lamps should get brighter.
Thanks CDIJeff.
I highly appreciate
Now I only have to verify if the bottom lights are taillights or fog lamps being activated.

Last edited by Jamikorn; 01-03-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:23 AM

2005 E320 CDI
No problem you helped me deiced that LED tail lights are going to be my next project. The only difference is I will try to get a LED reverse light as well in that housing my factory ones are terrible.
The following users liked this post:
Jamikorn (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 04:15 PM

e220 cdi
My mistake

Last edited by Jamikorn; 01-03-2017 at 04:37 PM.