Sponsored by:

Bought a new diagnostic tool its called Carly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 C250
Originally Posted by vsix
But its really important to use the original Carly adapter, because otherwise it won't work properly, restricted access to alot of features and options.
why do you say that? I have no restrictions with mine.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Originally Posted by HBguy
why do you say that? I have no restrictions with mine.
I tried it with an cheap ( somewhat ) ebay knock off adapter and something must've been tuned additionally on these Carly OBD2 adapters, that really allows them indepth diagnoses, coding etc.
Why?
Because I experienced it! Same as previously postet, I also didn't had access to certain FRm's. As soon as I plugged in the original Carly OBD2 adapter, whole different DRAMATIC story. Fact: Carly tuned, overhauled (call it how you want ) their adapters.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
I tried it with an cheap ( somewhat ) ebay knock off adapter and something must've been tuned additionally on these Carly OBD2 adapters, that really allows them indepth diagnoses, coding etc.
Why?
Because I experienced it! Same as previously postet, I also didn't had access to certain FRm's. As soon as I plugged in the original Carly OBD2 adapter, whole different DRAMATIC story. Fact: Carly tuned, overhauled (call it how you want ) their adapters.
the newest Carly adapters allow Bluetooth audio streaming as well as opening the door to PUSH function on w204 models...they are bespoke, tuned and very nice units.......BUT......you dont have to have it to operate nor operate with full function of the diagnostic features....for the most part i use the ELM327 unit i got from ebay for $7 about 4yrs ago and it does everything that the Carly unit does(as far as diagnostic/DTC clearing/reading goes) and does it just as fast.....so for those that may get the impression that you MUST use their bespoke unit that is not true at all
Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Why?
Or maybe don't use "cheap eBay knock off adapter". Most of those barely function and don't have the latency/refresh rate required for something like this Carly tool.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM

JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Originally Posted by jptaylor
the newest Carly adapters allow Bluetooth audio streaming as well as opening the door to PUSH function on w204 models...they are bespoke, tuned and very nice units.......BUT......you dont have to have it to operate nor operate with full function of the diagnostic features....for the most part i use the ELM327 unit i got from ebay for $7 about 4yrs ago and it does everything that the Carly unit does(as far as diagnostic/DTC clearing/reading goes) and does it just as fast.....so for those that may get the impression that you MUST use their bespoke unit that is not true at all
You know, Iam not an super-technician I can only speak from my experience.
But I do also agree with you, if you want to have a few nice updated features, you are better of to buy yourself the original Carly adapter.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Or maybe don't use "cheap eBay knock off adapter". Most of those barely function and don't have the latency/refresh rate required for something like this Carly tool.
Sure thing! Thats what i said, meanwhile Iam cured and do not want to keep it in gods hands when I code. I just accepted the truth and got myself an original Carly adapter, I mean even saved a couple of bucks on purchase. So it pays itself off, pretty quick and I have my peace of mind, that I did everything right.
I do love that pre owner-used car check wich came for free on their Carly LITE version.
Shortly after I downloaded the Carly LITE app, I purchased the Carly PRO app version for a couple of bucks but to be honest...to this day I havent regretted it. In fact, it saved me a ton of money and my confidence grew ( no heart attacks when CEL pops up) regarding mechanical, electrical issues on my car.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 C250
some people on the internet actually work in fields close enough to the topic that they are capable of understanding the technical aspects of topics, and arent just farting around their thoughts and opinions. If i could turn back the clock, i would have bought a cheaper ebay one than the one i have.

But more power to anyone who associates price with results.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by HBguy
some people on the internet actually work in fields close enough to the topic that they are capable of understanding the technical aspects of topics, and arent just farting around their thoughts and opinions. If i could turn back the clock, i would have bought a cheaper ebay one than the one i have.

But more power to anyone who associates price with results.

The following users liked this post:
bjonesmd (07-01-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
+1 On Carly app

Purchased pro version of app few months ago after discussion with jptaylor, and also purchased their Bluetooth dongle (old one broke).
The app works great, and accesses more systems than Torque, DashCommand, etc.
Wobble64 brought up an important question regarding selecting the appropriate model under Carly's menu, as there is no selection for M156 engine.
By my testing when running Diagnostics mode, it appears the Series 204 C Notchback/Van selection accesses the most systems, and I am able to pull up a total of 33 ECU Systems on a 2012 C63. Other model selections access fewer systems, and those codes are invalid/don't appear to make sense. I believe jptaylor also uses the same Series 204 C Notchback selection.

Has anyone else with the pro version been able to access more than 33 ECUs as mentioned in their fault report (not the number of ECUs queried, but the number of ECUs actually found and accessed)?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
OK if it smells like fish, don't eat it.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current: 2011 Mercedes C63 AMG Previous: 2002 Audi S4
I purchased the Carly Pro Unlimited license for iOS along with a 3rd party wifi OBDII adapter (which looks identical to the Carly wifi adapter aside from the logo). My main reason for this purchase was to read the transmission fluid temperature for my upcoming transmission service. Unfortunately I'm not able to access this info with this Carly setup.

From the info I'm finding online I get the impression the Carly Android app with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter may have more functionality than the iOS/wifi combo. Seems even more likely if using Android with the Carly Gen II Bluetooth adapter.

Can any Android/Bluetooth users access the transmission temperature data? Anyone know of another scan tool that can aside from a Mercedes Star setup? Maybe the iCarsoft MB II? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by RSKelme
I purchased the Carly Pro Unlimited license for iOS along with a 3rd party wifi OBDII adapter (which looks identical to the Carly wifi adapter aside from the logo). My main reason for this purchase was to read the transmission fluid temperature for my upcoming transmission service. Unfortunately I'm not able to access this info with this Carly setup.

From the info I'm finding online I get the impression the Carly Android app with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter may have more functionality than the iOS/wifi combo. Seems even more likely if using Android with the Carly Gen II Bluetooth adapter.

Can any Android/Bluetooth users access the transmission temperature data? Anyone know of another scan tool that can aside from a Mercedes Star setup? Maybe the iCarsoft MB II? Thanks!
i am pretty sure that you can see it when you open parameters....but I know you can see it on Torque Pro
Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 AM

i am pretty sure that you can see it when you open parameters....but I know you can see it on Torque Pro
Are you using Android with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM

android with a generic elm327 bluetooth module....i cant find it in Carly right now but i am almost positive i have seen it.....I know on the Torque Pro app you can monitor trans temp but it does not just "pop up" as one of the PIDs...you have to add plug-in, and the one that you select is for the Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler Transmission temp plug-in...once you add that to the plug-in list it will show up in Torque Scan but only in degC but its not that big of a deal
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Thanks for taking a look! If you do eventually find it please let me know. The iOS Torque app is only $5 so I'll check that out but I'd prefer the app I already spent $50 on had what I need. I sent a mail into Carly's support two nights ago and I'm waiting on a response. Looks like they've been updating the iOS app fairly often recently so that is somewhat encouraging.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 PM

The reason you can't monitor it, is because you are not using the original Carly adapter along with the Carly PRO app.
Carly is clearly stating that all offered functions are guaranteed as long as you use original carly "gear".
So shell out a few bucks more for an tuned carly adapter and you'll gonna have access to anything that carly is supporting.

The Carly OBD2 adapter can't be compared to an elmxxx or cheap knockoff dongles from ebay.
There is really alot of effort and high technologie involved to develop an carly OBD2 adapter. At first glance they might look the same...but believe me they're not

Oh and don't forget Carly's warrantee. Whenever your carly adapter gets electronical issues, get in contact with carly and you'll get a new one for free
Try tgat with an elm or pelm or kelm, whatever they are called...feel me?

Last edited by vsix; 06-28-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 AM

Based on the info in this thread I was under the impression there were limited differences in functionality when using a generic adapter. For example the push messaging and Bluetooth audio which required the gen 2 Bluetooth Carly adapter (no mention of that functionality on iOS w/ wifi adapter). I can't use the Bluetooth adapter as I'm on iOS so it seemed there would be no real difference in functionality given this limitation.

I've since considered picking up a cheap Android device if it will get the job done. I already have a generic Bluetooth adapter that I use for other vehicles with a PC based scan app. I was thinking of having a friend download the free android app to test that combination out but from jptaylor's reply that might not help.

Please share the combination of app platform and adapter type that you have used to read the transmission temp data. Up to this point no one has explicitly confirmed that it is possible with Carly. I wouldn't hesitate to order the Carly branded wifi adapter if Carly or someone on here can confirm it will provide the data I need.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
I have not read the whole thread, so apologize if someone has already emtnioned it, but many of the best features in Carly work only with Android devices, not IOS (Apple) devices. I have Carly and the physical adaptor, and consider it a useful tool, but since I have an iPhone, i don't get all the really impressive features mentioned above. Just some.

Jim G
Old 06-29-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I have not read the whole thread, so apologize if someone has already emtnioned it, but many of the best features in Carly work only with Android devices, not IOS (Apple) devices. I have Carly and the physical adaptor, and consider it a useful tool, but since I have an iPhone, i don't get all the really impressive features mentioned above. Just some.

Jim G
Thanks for chiming in, Jim! If it's not too much trouble could you check to see if you are able to read the transmission temp on your Carly setup? If you're successful I'll order the same Carly wifi adapter otherwise I'll probably need to look for a cheap Android device and see if Carly will let me switch platforms.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:10 PM

...I know on the Torque Pro app you can monitor trans temp but it does not just "pop up" as one of the PIDs...you have to add plug-in, and the one that you select is for the Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler Transmission temp plug-in...once you add that to the plug-in list it will show up in Torque Scan but only in degC but its not that big of a deal
I looked into the Torque Pro app for iOS and it's not the same developer as Android. Looks like someone is trying to impersonate them in the iOS app store as they use the same name and similar logo as the popular Android app. Yet another reason for me to pickup a cheap Android device.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by RSKelme
Thanks for chiming in, Jim! If it's not too much trouble could you check to see if you are able to read the transmission temp on your Carly setup? If you're successful I'll order the same Carly wifi adapter otherwise I'll probably need to look for a cheap Android device and see if Carly will let me switch platforms.
Transmission temperature readout is NOT available to me on the iPhone version.

Jim G
The following users liked this post:
RSKelme (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Transmission temperature readout is NOT available to me on the iPhone version.

Jim G
Thank you for confirming! Now to explore other options.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 PM

You do NOT have to have the Carly adapter to get all diagnostic function, just the additional functions.....

.....if it were me I would pick up a used 7" tablet for about $20 and install Torque Pro on it and I promise you'll see trans temps....Carly is my favorite tool bar none but Torque Pro on Android platform will serve you best for THIS issue, Carly can handle everything else
Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 PM

You do NOT have to have the Carly adapter to get all diagnostic function, just the additional functions.....
Carly tech support confirmed the same. Here is a direct quote from their response:
I am not able to tell anything about connecting Carly with other adapters, I am sorry.

But I think, if the corresponding parameter value should not be found by the app, that would not change a Carly Adapter.

I'm going to pickup an Android device and use Torque Pro as suggested. I appreciate everyone's help on this thread!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bought a new diagnostic tool its called Carly