Sponsored by:

My '13 is acting sketchy as hell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I don't believe in higher gas price = better gas.
Having said that we have no real means of measuring it and just rely on what we are being told. Too much drama for just filling up a tank! So for me I go to Sam's club because I have a membership there. Never had any issues with my cars until this day.
Back on topic when I first read OP's post I immediately thought misfire which was confirmed with the fault code. Now the timing of the issue let us think it is probably due to bad gas. I would just normally troubleshoot the matter by starting there. Meaning empty the tank and refill at another gas station. See if the issue comes back. The next step would be to check your plugs and coils particularly cylinder one since this is the one misfiring. And so ... until you pin point the culprit. GL
When you say CEL is gone do you mean you deleted the code? Code will still be stored and come back if the problem is not fixed.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Aaaaaaaaand more verbal diarrhea.
The following 2 users liked this post by INS1GNIA:
BLKROKT (02-09-2017), CarHopper (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGfaninVA
I read that article long before you posted it here, and as for "feelings", I ain't Barry Manilow.

https://youtu.be/IwnwO3mFSYg

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-...-your-car.html

https://www.cars.com/articles/2009/0...t-you-to-know/

These are just a few examples. There are many more, all you have to do is "use the googles".
Did you even watch/read any of what you posted?

GasBuddy youtube vid
Originally Posted by GasBuddy shmenge
all gasoline will run your car just fine. You may notice very very minor differences in mpg
Dude is talking about a 100hp civic. Not a 500hp AMG. If you DO notice a difference it's because the ECU is pulling timing to account for deficiencies which = loss of power that's likely noticeable.

Emunds Link Published: 12/07/2012
Originally Posted by AAA shemenge on emunds
Because of the advances in engine technology, a car's onboard computer is able to adjust for the inevitable variations in fuel, so most drivers won't notice a drop off in performance between different brands of fuel, from the most additive-rich gas sold by the major brands to the bare-bones stuff at your corner quickie mart.
Again, most drivers won't notice a drop in performance because the ECU will adapt. What do you think it's doing to adapt?

Originally Posted by emunds
Nevertheless, Stephens admits to being "swayed" by ads that tout cleaning agents. Twice a year he adds a bottle of Chevron U.S.A. Inc.'s Techron — the same additive that's in Chevron gasoline — to the fuel tank of his personal car.
AAA shmenge uses cleaning agents after using cheap fuel. Interesting.... This article was published in 2012 and that AAA article you read long before I posted it was published in 2016. Woah, maybe your man Stephens changed his mind?

Cars.com
No source for actual data. Could be some co-op student who wrote the article in his mom's basement...

Feel free to post more useless links to back up your claim.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Trabant
Did you even watch/read any of what you posted?

GasBuddy youtube vid
Dude is talking about a 100hp civic. Not a 500hp AMG. If you DO notice a difference it's because the ECU is pulling timing to account for deficiencies which = loss of power that's likely noticeable.
He referred to MPG, not horsepower/performance, genius. And even if there were a drop in HP, what makes you certain you'd be able to tell the difference? Can you tell the difference between 500 HP and 475 HP? I'll bet you can't. You remind of the guys on the CTS-V forums that would swear they could tell that their cars picked up HP with a CAI even though, at best, the CAI was only good for about an 8 HP bump.

As for the rest of your drivel regarding the links I cited, they back up everything I've said.

Dont like facts, stick to your comic books, junior.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Old 02-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Aaaaaaaaand more verbal diarrhea.

Did you read that article from AAA yet? It's one of the reasons why I laughed at your first useless post in this thread.

Where are you gathering your information from btw? Any credible sources you care to share? So far you've just been repeating gibberish...
Sure seems to me that you're the one failing to understand the very reasonable distinction in what AMGfaininVA is posting:

I have acknowledged that Top Tier gas is best. I have noted that other than Top Tier gas can absolutely provide equal performance and engine cleaning abilities. And lastly, I've said subpar gas can lead to reduced performance and engine longevity.

See any contradictions there? I don't.
Pretty cut and dry. He's saying that it's possible to get "bad" non-TT AND TT gas, either of which are likely to reduce performance. This could be from contaminants in the storage tank, impurities, etc.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
He referred to MPG, not horsepower/performance, genius.
What do you think happens when mpg decreases while all other external conditions are unchanged (driving style, location, etc)?

And even if there were a drop in HP, what makes you certain you'd be able to tell the difference? Can you tell the difference between 500 HP and 475 HP? I'll bet you can't. You remind of the guys on the CTS-V forums that would swear they could tell that their cars picked up HP with a CAI even though, at best, the CAI was only good for about an 8 HP bump.
Maybe not, but it's happening. Timing is pulled because of the fuel which is the whole point of this conversation.

As for the rest of your drivel regarding the links I cited, they back up everything I've said.
You mean your old crusty link from 2012? Cool.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
All because someone got a bad tank of Costco gas and had a misfire.

Imagine what will happen when someone posts of uneven tire wear with 1 tire being 1psi off. Something something nitrogen vs. oxygen something something temperature something something snowflakes and butterflies.

OP -- You run through that tank yet? Everything sort itself out?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Trabant
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Imagine what will happen when someone posts of uneven tire wear with 1 tire being 1psi off. Something something nitrogen vs. oxygen something something temperature something something snowflakes and butterflies.
Don't get me started on nitrogen and butterflies!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Quick! Someone mention oil brands and viscoities! And call Diabolis!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Boostane and magic spacers should fix it