Sponsored by:

Comparison with your previous car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 435i GC
Comparison with your previous car

My C63S Coupe is almost here. ETA is mid-April. I'm coming from a BMW 435i Xdrive.

For those of you who took delivery of your C63s already. What were you driving before and how does your C63 compare? what do you like / dislike most about the C63?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG c63s
Bought a 2017 c63s coupe. I am coming from a 2014 Jeep SRT.
I really enjoyed my SRT and the hardest thing about getting the AMG was giving up the SRT. But after about 2 minutes I was over the SRT and in love with the the C63s. The only negative so far has been having to wait for the break in period to be over.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63AS Cabriolet
Pretty big difference for me...
Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
c63s sedan
i had a 2012 c63 coupe. now i went for the new sedan. the transmission and interior are the 2 biggest upgrades on the car. the old 6.2L had more torque anywhere in RPM range- going to the BiTurbo has more power and car is def faster but clearly a bit of lag in some spots as always. overall very happy with the upgrade tho
Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63s Sedan | 2016 Yukon XL Denali
Haha, big change for me. Last car was a 2014 Rav4 EV (full electric). Prior to that was a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3.

The whole time I had the Rav4, I missed the Mazda - never really took to the Rav4.

The c63s has had me all but forget the Mazda!!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
MG PB, MG Midget, Triumph TR4, Morgan 4/4, Mustang, Audi R8
Came from a 2012 S4. As I've stated elsewhere, I think MB's telematics are behind where Audi was five years ago. The dash displays are a mess, and the center stack and gauge panel display are on completely separate programs (both bad).

The more I drive the 63, the more I'm not liking the transmission. Too much freewheeling like a slush box. I think it let's down what is otherwise a fantastic engine. Bit of turbo lag, but coming from a supercharged car, that's to be expected.

Overall it's more car than the S4, but it's not a great deal better car. With some rain in CA this year, I'm learning the MB wipers really suck. The driver's side chatters badly even when there's lots of water on the screen. Other owners have mentioned this too.

Yes, on balance I am happy with the car. Once it's on the boil, the motor makes easy power, and is a joy. Otherwise, I'll be sniffing around Audi again in five years when it's time for what's next.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
My previous car: 1997 Mercedes C180 Sedan. Need I say more?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
2012 BMW F30 335i. It was great car for what it is. Fun drive but no comparison. C63s has it beat in every category except MPG but who cares about that? haha!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
I currently drive a '15 S4, which has been a good daily driver and has been solid with no problems. The S4 has never really felt special to me in the two years of owning it. I never really felt excited to drive the car like I have after driving the C63s. You know that feeling when you try to find any excuse to drive it. I can't for this summer though!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Originally Posted by shoe3k
I currently drive a '15 S4, which has been a good daily driver and has been solid with no problems. The S4 has never really felt special to me in the two years of owning it. I never really felt excited to drive the car like I have after driving the C63s. You know that feeling when you try to find any excuse to drive it. I can't for this summer though!
Traded in a 15 S4. Adding a tune and an intake woke the car up and gave it a tone of character. The quality of build, traction and transmission were better in the Audi. The styling and motor are better in the merc.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kept the Macan as a people hauler but it brings no joy. They're about the same length.

I leave home later and arrive at work earlier now. But I'm getting around 6 fewer mpg in what's mostly aggressive city driving. The ED1 gets tons of attention and sounds like a demon. M4s now look like Camrys.

The only feature I miss is the parking sonar. Los Angeles parking...
Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 AM

nothing
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
Traded in a 15 S4. Adding a tune and an intake woke the car up and gave it a tone of character. The quality of build, traction and transmission were better in the Audi. The styling and motor are better in the merc.
I had GIAC STG2 with dual-pulley, intake, and AWE touring CB. It was worthless after a few runs in Maryland hot weather. I know people would upgrade the cooling but $1000+ was not worth the gain 10-15F in temps. The issue was the overall A/W setup and the IC in the supercharger was too small for those upgrades. It lost its magic after a few months and ended up putting it back to stock. The DSG is really good when they fixed the mechatronic issue but it has its quirks too. As for build quality, there were some issues with reverse camera not working, weird rattles in the door and speakers.

Honestly, I learned that every car will have its issues no matter how much $$ it costs.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:51 AM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 Audi SQ5, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
Selling this on friday and then I am about 3 weeks out for my c63s coupe.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM

nothing
Originally Posted by See63esS
Selling this on friday and then I am about 3 weeks out for my c63s coupe.

Super clean!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63S
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
I am also coming from a 2015 S4 with similar modifications. I am picking up my 63S this Monday, can't wait!

Why do you say the transmission was better in the Audi? When driving the C63S I thought the transmission felt just as quick!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM

I seriously considered S4 prior to finding the C63....little bit of a price jump there I know.

I was a little underwhelmed at the age of the technology in the car and knew that a newer version was on the horizon...thus I stalled. And well worth it now as I find any excuse I can to drive the Merc.

Oh, and Shoe3k, nice avatar pic! Haha
Old 03-15-2017, 12:49 PM

nothing
Originally Posted by Mikey_boy
I seriously considered S4 prior to finding the C63....little bit of a price jump there I know.

I was a little underwhelmed at the age of the technology in the car and knew that a newer version was on the horizon...thus I stalled. And well worth it now as I find any excuse I can to drive the Merc.

Oh, and Shoe3k, nice avatar pic! Haha
I loved your pic and decided to make it an avatar for myself muhahhaha.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by shoe3k
I loved your pic and decided to make it an avatar for myself muhahhaha.
Haha, no worries! It's a unique picture for sure. I hope this guy comes out to more of the CNC meets out here.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
I came from a 2014 AMG CLA45. That was the first Mercedes I went into, and I had it for only about 15 months before I upgraded to the C63S sedan. I loved the CLA45, but I grew up on V8s. When my dealer contacted me about a holdover C63S (MY15 in early 2016) with a massive discount, I couldn't resist.

Every day I start my C63, I have a grin. It makes my commute better, it makes my weekend drives better, and so on. I've already put 20k miles on it, in a year. Went through my first set of tires (Dunlop Sportmaxx) and switched to Michelin PSS's.

I absolutely, positively, unequivocally LOVE this car.

Nit-picking dislikes.. hmm..:

1. I've already chewed through my first set of rear brake pads. 20k miles, mostly commuting.. no tracking. They also generate SO MUCH dust it's almost ridiculous. I'll swap in aftermarket low-dust pads as soon as some are available.
2. The carbon ceramic front brakes are noisy; but that's the nature of CCBs. The stopping power is ridiculous.. my wife's 911 Turbo's standard brakes don't even remotely compare.
3. The stock wheels are fairly soft. One pothole encounter and my front passenger wheel was borderline unrepairable, it was so off-true.
4. I had a driver-side window rattle, which was fixed by the dealer by replacing the weatherstripping at the door.
5. I had a rattle behind my COMAND display, which dealer fixed by putting in a gasket where it mounted to the dash.
6. The random driver assist doo-dads occasionally go kaput, and I have to restart the car to get them working. Things like lane keep assist, drive assist, etc.

I've yet to have ANY car that hasn't had it's shares of 'issues', so I don't really mind the above.. esp. when I'm actually driving it. I just had it in for my B service (and brakes, wheel repair, etc) and not having it for a few days made me really really miss it. Every time I go on a business trip, one of the first things I look forward to when coming home is picking up my son from daycare in my C63.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:40 PM

nothing
Originally Posted by ignomini
Came from a 2012 S4. As I've stated elsewhere, I think MB's telematics are behind where Audi was five years ago. The dash displays are a mess, and the center stack and gauge panel display are on completely separate programs (both bad).

The more I drive the 63, the more I'm not liking the transmission. Too much freewheeling like a slush box. I think it let's down what is otherwise a fantastic engine. Bit of turbo lag, but coming from a supercharged car, that's to be expected.

Overall it's more car than the S4, but it's not a great deal better car. With some rain in CA this year, I'm learning the MB wipers really suck. The driver's side chatters badly even when there's lots of water on the screen. Other owners have mentioned this too.

Yes, on balance I am happy with the car. Once it's on the boil, the motor makes easy power, and is a joy. Otherwise, I'll be sniffing around Audi again in five years when it's time for what's next.
Can you go into more detail about the dislike for the transmission?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Estate
I'm coming from a 2014 CLA45 although I don't pick up the new one until the 27th. From my experience in the test drive the amount of power going to the rear wheels is a bit of a concern but that's half the fun

12 days to go and I'll be able to give some better feedback!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GTR
Also coming from a CLA45. Great car. Lots of AWD grip. But no V8. And RWD is much more fun. When the tyres are on temperature, the C63S is just a monster.
Gonna miss the pops and bangs of the CLA45 though. It is so loud, especially in tunnels.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Originally Posted by zeta1991
I am also coming from a 2015 S4 with similar modifications. I am picking up my 63S this Monday, can't wait!

Why do you say the transmission was better in the Audi? When driving the C63S I thought the transmission felt just as quick!
Shifts were quicker. No issues while driving when it was cold unlike the Mercedes. I felt the gearing was spot on for power delivery. Maybe it isn't specifically a transmission issue but the way that the transmission operates in different modes was better in the audi. Comfort wasnt jerky. Sport was a good balance between the low and high mode. In the merc sport is too aggressive in its gearing at times. Sport is closer to sport +.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I posted this in my thread about my C63S Coupe (technically replaced my 2016 M4) when one member asked me about it and the depreciation:

Posted mid January 17

Ill give you my quick thoughts about both cars. I had an M4 with the Competition Pack and the Performance parts. Its a very good car and clearly these choices we all have are a blessing. I'm no Fan Boy of either side but a loyalist to two. Ive now owned 10 AMG's and 8 M's so they both are fulfilling cars. And while the C now replaces the M, Ill try to give you perspective. I still have a tuned M5; that car is a freeway mad man.

Looks: even money its in the eye of the owner
Steering: AMG- more on point with less understeer
Chassis: The M gets the nod but only due to weight- the AMG really handles itself rather well for being around 4k lbs
Suspension: The M I found just a bit better in stock set up but with both having KW HAS the C pulls ahead IMHO with better feel over the roads at higher speeds and in the big bends. The M is more nimble though of course because of its lack of weight
Sound: The AMG crushes this one- The M Performance exhaust sounds better than the non Perf one but its still a tingy car vs a beast
Transmission: The DCT is hard to touch but the MCT coupled with the right drive logic makes a valiant effort
Interior: Subjective beyond a doubt but the AMG is the more luxurious car. The M just feels cheaper with its "plasticky" feel.
Acceleration: from a dig the AMG differential is superior and creates more grip even with its higher tq rating. The M cars of late really have traction issues.
Speed: Again the AMG shines here with more hp and terminal velocity thru the quarter and beyond.

The M is just a bit more on the sporty side while the AMG is more luxurious in look and feel. I know you have read about the suspension and some rattles but those are isolated incidents via a forum and you should know that. You need to drive the car and see how it feels in all the modes. I am really happy with the AMG but only time will tell how long I keep it. I don't understand your depreciation issue, both cars have it and if that's an issue then leasing would be the better option not the worse. Clearly you can steal an M4 right now for all the money but not so much a coupe by AMG. But that will change because AMG and M are not collector cars.

This was my M4 (tuned by Hex) and it was fast too-- trapping around 123mph in crap conditions but its not as fast as the tuned AMG- no chance: