Sponsored by:

I Got Got or: how I learn to stop worrying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
DR. Colorchip or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Park the Car

Everyone look at my door and tell me how terrible my life is.

I'm going to the shop after lunch, but **** the paint has a crack and everything, not just a paintless job.

Please do not send flowers, instead make a donation to the Human Fund.

Last edited by cenzo86; 05-02-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 534 Posts
c
damn. the paint did not react kindly to that.

sorry to see.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
Bummer - sorry to see that bud I hate that some people have zero respect other people's property.

I would first do PDR to fix the dent and make it flush. PDR often has an element of light polishing as well so that might not be possible given that the paint is cracked. If your PDR company accepts the job and manages to correct everything (minus the paint), I would attempt to 'bind' the crack with a clear coat pen from Mercedes. If the crack is as thin as it looks, a few layers of clear coat and you should be able to polish over it to blend it properly. This trick might get you 95% of the way there without relying on a full repaint. Good luck man!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
quite a terrible life driving such a damaged MB
Old 05-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
My condolences. Im always anxious when I park in public even in parking lots, unless its one of those really wide spaced lots that are only present in desolate suburban settings
Old 05-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
Bummer - sorry to see that bud I hate that some people have zero respect other people's property.

I would first do PDR to fix the dent and make it flush. PDR often has an element of light polishing as well so that might not be possible given that the paint is cracked. If your PDR company accepts the job and manages to correct everything (minus the paint), I would attempt to 'bind' the crack with a clear coat pen from Mercedes. If the crack is as thin as it looks, a few layers of clear coat and you should be able to polish over it to blend it properly. This trick might get you 95% of the way there without relying on a full repaint. Good luck man!
​​​​​​My shop suggested this. PDR guy is coming first thing tomorrow to work his magic, then a little clear to protect the paint. I'm going to live with the battle scar. It gives the car character.
Option B is a 2 door repaint $1000+. Nope.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg
My condolences. Im always anxious when I park in public even in parking lots, unless its one of those really wide spaced lots that are only present in desolate suburban settings
This past weekened I parked in a grocery store parking lot way out from everyone else.. like 8 spots to the closest car, and before I get out of my car a For Excursion parks right next to me. W. T. F. Seriously... pick one of the other 300 available spots..
Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
Originally Posted by imj0257
This past weekened I parked in a grocery store parking lot way out from everyone else.. like 8 spots to the closest car, and before I get out of my car a For Excursion parks right next to me. W. T. F. Seriously... pick one of the other 300 available spots..
This. I always pick out a great spot to minimize contact with other cars and people. In fact, I try to find corner spots and park as close to the curb as possible. No matter what I do, there is always a numb-nut that feels like they should park next to me even if i'm parked in the middle of nowhere. On top of that, they take the fact that i'm parked right next to the curb as a sign to park as close to me as possible. People are dumb - accepting that is part of owning a car on the road. I saw a brand new Cayenne Turbo the other day with a massive door ding. You really can't do anything about it aside from trying to be as careful as possible.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by imj0257
Back in the day when I was a younger man, conversations with people like the one you mentioned in the Excursion would have been commonplace over arrogant decisions such as his

I'm on vacation this week at the Jersey Shore... NEVER in my life have I been in the company of so many jackasses on the road

Combine that with never seeing so many traffic signs directing me what not to do (mostly no left turns everywhere) and I'm ready to head back to the Great Lakes to relax
Old 05-01-2017, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
This is why I went to great lengths to get an accessibility parking permit so that no one is ever beside me. I have the pass more to keep my car away from malice, than my actual accessibility needs. Just a confession. Please no heat.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:30 PM

Parking can be a scary proposition for someone with a nice car, or for that matter, a car they like a lot.
PDR done this morning. $150 fix. The paint damage is still there but not very noticeable. My shop suggested just go heavy on the wax and not add any clear coat at all. Results below.

BTW, I wanted to change the name of my thread but I couldn't edit the title on the Android platform. The title should read

Dr. Colorchip or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Park the Car.

Much better right?
The following users liked this post:
unr1 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
wow, that looks really good! Glad to see the after pics.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Speaking of giving the car character....

Two days into owning my C43, I had just washed and barred the car in advance of getting XPEL the next day. The car was backed into the middle of my 2 car garage while I was drying it.

I kid you not, my little dude is riding his bike up the drive to go in the garage and swerves wide instead of keeping close to the edge of the entry. Yep, his peddle puts a 1 inch gash along the bottom of the bumper. Holy **** and ****, the kid needed to leave my sights and out of range of the expletives rushing from my chords!

I've had the car for 2 days at this point! After several hours and scenarios, each one of them ending with me in jail for child endangerment, I came to my senses and realized it wasn't the end of the world and probably wouldn't be for the little one. I started to think about leaving it to be covered by the clear bra so that the next, "first" door ding or scratch wouldn't be so bad, but I went out and bought the touch up paint. One doesn't see it unless they know about it

My little dude lived- barely- and I even took him to Disney World this week! He now knows to open the 3rd car garage for his bike parking.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Nice fix!

I always park in isolation. But at my building, there are not a lot of options for assigned spaces and I have one of the most ideal spots (great shade and close to my stairs). Was all good in the hood when my next spot neighbor was a chill dude with an 400whp e92 335i. But he moved and a semi-mentally challenged (I'm guessing Asperger's) guy with a Prius took over his spot. Just waiting for the lovely day when he door dings me or hits me pulling in. At least I'll know who it will be if there is ever any white marks/dents on my passenger side.