Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
C43 VS Jaguar XE Motortrend Head2Head

Can anyone upload the vid?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C63s Coupe
They pretty much just trashed the C43, calling it a half baked amg. It has all the qualities of what makes an AMG, but it's lacking in that wow factor that truly makes an amg an amg.

Somewhere along the lines of like the jaguar was better on the twisting roads, but on 9-5 it's okay and said the opposite for the C43, good on 9-5 but it was a little bit better on the twisting roads. They are hoping that AMG continually improves upon the 43 line up and want the w206, whenever that is, to truly represnt the AMG'ness of the brand.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I say BS.

I own a 2016 C450 (just about the same car as the C43), and my wife owns a 2017 Jaguar XE V6 Sport 35t AWD, and the ONLY thing her car has over my C450 when it comes to performance is faster response time off the line due to her supercharger and my turbo lag. Her car's brakes are softer/weaker, does not take the twisties as well at speed, and her car is limited to 124 mph.

Her Jaguar is more like a muscle car than a performance sedan, and the interior or build quality doesn't come close to my Mercedes.

The following 2 users liked this post by MASSC450:
DVision44 (06-22-2017), sick430 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 AM

W205 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by MASSC450
I say BS.

I own a 2016 C450 (just about the same car as the C43), and my wife owns a 2017 Jaguar XE V6 Sport 35t AWD, and the ONLY thing her car has over my C450 when it comes to performance is faster response time off the line due to her supercharger and my turbo lag. Her car's brakes are softer/weaker, does not take the twisties as well at speed, and her car is limited to 124 mph.

Her Jaguar is more like a muscle car than a performance sedan, and the interior or build quality doesn't come close to my Mercedes.

They timed the C43 at 4.2 seconds and the Jaguat at 4.6 seconds, surprisngly. Guess the estimated time mercedes gave was generous. The video seemed like the winner was going to be the Jaguar, but it wasn't. The C43 still won. They basically said, it's a half baked AMG, the suspension isn't fully there yet, it has alot of understeer, but it still takes well to the corners a bit better than the Jag..

That's really sums it up to them, the jaguar was still good, but wasn't as good on the daily and they always try to take into account the segment of cars, and what the whole mindset is. The C43 bridges that gap between daily drivability and sportiness, so I'm not surprised they critiqued it the way they did.

So, I guess, 335i < XE < C43/C450???
Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Did their test car have the AMG Driver's package? AMG Exhaust?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 AM

W205 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by munis
Did their test car have the AMG Driver's package? AMG Exhaust?

I am not sure, I for sure know that it had the panorama roof. And I don't know what the AMG drivers package entails, since I've never seen that package on the MBUSA website, or at least I'm blind to it lol
Old 06-22-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Originally Posted by Yiruma
I am not sure, I for sure know that it had the panorama roof. And I don't know what the AMG drivers package entails, since I've never seen that package on the MBUSA website, or at least I'm blind to it lol
It's a CAD thing, it's basically the exhaust, steering wheel, and 19" rims.

Trending Topics

Old 06-22-2017, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 675 Likes on 532 Posts
c
They pretty much just trashed the C43, calling it a half baked amg. It has all the qualities of what makes an AMG, but it's lacking in that wow factor that truly makes an amg an amg.

Somewhere along the lines of like the jaguar was better on the twisting roads, but on 9-5 it's okay and said the opposite for the C43, good on 9-5 but it was a little bit better on the twisting roads. They are hoping that AMG continually improves upon the 43 line up and want the w206, whenever that is, to truly represnt the AMG'ness of the brand.
I am not surprised with this synopsis. My initial impressions with the car were very high - probably due to surprise.

The more I drive this car, the less I am impressed. The suspension is pretty much garbage IMO. It's has the harshness of a sports car but the body roll of an SUV. It's not complacent in abrupt dampening situations.

And despite the engine being center on the front axle, it still has a rather poor weight distribution. IE. Understeer.

I have never lost interest in a vehicle faster than I have with the C450. I usually adore my cars and have a feeling of regret when I move on to the next one. I have only had this car for about a year and already want to get into something different.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM

W205 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by jerhu
It's a CAD thing, it's basically the exhaust, steering wheel, and 19" rims.
Which rims?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Which rims?
Your choice of the Titanium coloured 19s. Either the Multi Spoke or the Split 5 Spoke. If you want the Bi-coloured options it's an extra $500 for either choice.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thing is, if that car did not have a Performance Exhaust, then the review is pretty much bull. The AMG PE is what makes the C43 great and gives it significant edge over anything in its class. The difference between the non PE and PE is night and day, that exhaust makes the C43 a totally different beast. If the test car was not equipped with one, might as well have reviewed a C300, it does not matter.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Thing is, if that car did not have a Performance Exhaust, then the review is pretty much bull. The AMG PE is what makes the C43 great and gives it significant edge over anything in its class. The difference between the non PE and PE is night and day, that exhaust makes the C43 a totally different beast. If the test car was not equipped with one, might as well have reviewed a C300, it does not matter.

It did, and they actually said that it was annoyingly loud. "Can this car shutup" or something along those lines, while panning that the Jag did not sound good.

It was lot of tongue in cheek, if you get these guys. Ultimately, they said if you live on a canyon road, get the Jag. If not, the C43 is better at everything else, The interior was no comparison, they said the Jag was flat out cheap. In the road course, the Benz won easiliy and they liked the power.

They did say they were nitpicking (especially about the suspension and they did not like the abrupt transmission), but still liked the C43 quite a bit.

Is it an AMG? They were both on each side of that argument, predictably.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Definitely some validity here. AMG is known for the visceral experience associated with the drive. You take that away and you are not getting the full AMG experience.

However, I think you might be talking in hyperbole to an extent?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by coladin
It did, and they actually said that it was annoyingly loud. "Can this car shutup" or something along those lines, while panning that the Jag did not sound good.

It was lot of tongue in cheek, if you get these guys. Ultimately, they said if you live on a canyon road, get the Jag. If not, the C43 is better at everything else, The interior was no comparison, they said the Jag was flat out cheap. In the road course, the Benz won easiliy and they liked the power.

They did say they were nitpicking (especially about the suspension and they did not like the abrupt transmission), but still liked the C43 quite a bit.

Is it an AMG? They were both on each side of that argument, predictably.
how do you recommend the Jag for canyon carving when the C43 won the road course?

Seems ironic/counterintuitive.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alexasa
However, I think you might be talking in hyperbole to an extent?
Haha, yeah, but you get my point.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
All my friends say that in S+ the car turns into an animal and handles like a beast. Their shaky-sweaty-palms can attest to that notion.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just watched the trailer, it does not sound like the car has PE. Did anyone notice the exhaust button on the centre console? Or did they mention it specifically that the car has it?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:09 PM

W205 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by S500Sport
All my friends say that in S+ the car turns into an animal and handles like a beast. Their shaky-sweaty-palms can attest to that notion.
Perhaps you're right. Sometimes I kind of find it hard to trust reviewers words when they have driven basically every good handling car out there. So maybe theyre bias but I think that also gives it some form of credibility
Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
Watch their C63, M3, and ATS-V review then watch their C63, M3, ATS-V, and Giulia review. Those dimwits change their minds like you change clothes. Its entertaining not educational.

Also who that f cares what they think? You already own the vehicle. What are you going to do, trade it in now that they reviewed it poorly? If you are buying vehicles based on what they say you need to start a new thread and we need to discuss that issue.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, just as I suspected, their test car does not have an AMG PE. Opened an account just to check that frigging thing out. I have said it before and I will say it again, without the AMG PE the C43 is just a performance sedan with 362hp. There is nothing from the AMG's skunkworks dept. in it. Can't even count the number of debates I have come across of this car being a real 'AMG' or not.

Now this is what I think, 'AMG', the three lettered word to me, means hooliganism. It means a car whose sole purpose is to be nonsensical in some way or the other. The AMG PE gives the C43 just that. It makes an obscene amount of racket, to the point, that every-time I go into the Sports + mode, people stop walking to check what is going on. And that is pretty much it, that is why they called it an AMG, because of whoever tuned this exhaust knew that it is the very part that will end up making the C43 worthy of the AMG badge.

Hence they did not call the C450 an AMG. A C43 without the PE is a C450. Mercedes knows that. They stuck the badge on the C43 only after they were sure that they have given it something that makes it nonsensical. And then they chose to make it optional. Because there are a lot of people who likes it quiet and fast.

Mercedes knew exactly what they were doing. People are just too prejudiced to see it.

Last edited by munis; 06-22-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Pretty funny line was Jason said the AMG in the C43 stands for "Alabama Motor Group". Pretty funny!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Ah man, I hate the idea of having to pay for content... Even though Motor Trend was always a publication I bought, they've gotten us hooked with free web videos and want to start getting paid for them a month early, and I feel sore about that.

I'm going to put out on the record that I wish they kept the car named c450 AMG Sport. There are more AMG badged cars than there are luxury models. I liked the idea of having 3 distinct lines like Audi (A, S, RS) so you know exactly what the car is. C43 used to be an AMG car but now it's just a renamed car for the sake of rebooting an old name. Dr. Z is sitting in front of a focus group full on millennials looking at new versions of stuff they couldn't possibly remember, smiling and saying how authentic this new stuff is, and Dieter is all like, "we should redo somesing from ze 90s". Forget ze AMG Sport, zey are only around for 6 months anyvey. Put ze AMG badge before model designation, and charge accordingly.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 AMG T
They do it the Audi way don't they? As far as I am concerned there are 3 lines:
Cxxx for the normals (A)
C43 AMG (S)
C63 AMG (rs)

Seems pretty easy to me?

And I concur on the suspension part. Although Sport+ improves it, my previous Alfa 159 had a Billstein B6 kit with standard Ti Springs and it had way less bodyroll then the c43 AND better comfort. And it handled speed bumps way better then my S205 stationwagon !
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by alexasa
I am not surprised with this synopsis. My initial impressions with the car were very high - probably due to surprise.

The more I drive this car, the less I am impressed. The suspension is pretty much garbage IMO. It's has the harshness of a sports car but the body roll of an SUV. It's not complacent in abrupt dampening situations.

And despite the engine being center on the front axle, it still has a rather poor weight distribution. IE. Understeer.

I have never lost interest in a vehicle faster than I have with the C450. I usually adore my cars and have a feeling of regret when I move on to the next one. I have only had this car for about a year and already want to get into something different.
I agree that the suspension sucks due to the harshness. So stiff, in fact, that it tends to skip off of bumps when cornering. However, if you think the C450/43 handles like an SUV, then legal weed must have passed in NY. There is minimal body roll on this car and it's harsh as hell. It's the exact opposite of a rolly polly SUV.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I agree that the suspension sucks due to the harshness. So stiff, in fact, that it tends to skip off of bumps when cornering. However, if you think the C450/43 handles like an SUV, then legal weed must have passed in NY. There is minimal body roll on this car and it's harsh as hell. It's the exact opposite of a rolly polly SUV.
Not sure what car experience you have, but this car does not handle flat at all.

And worse than that, the standard seats make it hard to differentiate the body roll from the physical body slushing around in it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 VS Jaguar XE Motortrend Head2Head