C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Unrecognizable body panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Unrecognizable body panel

This panel doesn't look familiar ! It's full of scratches , it looks beat up from age unlike the rest of the car, it has cracks too from the sun exposure from what I can guess.

problem is that I wash the car myself never take it into a car wash , I could not find anywhere else on the car with corresponding wear & tear , it also has a different shade of color than the rest of the roof.

i got the car back from dealer last week for noise repairs , my SA says the panel is carbon fiber that it's just bad washing or wear/tear but I'm scared it's a panel from a different car.

what are your thoughts ? I need help.he says he will check in with the manager to see if a warranty repair can be done.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
That panel is either plastic or glass depending on the car. It's part of the roof, and has to be cut out and glued back in. Not like someone swapped it out for a different car, not worth it. More likely it's baking in the sun and developing stress cracks. Does the car stay outside all the time?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 PM

c class
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
That panel is either plastic or glass depending on the car. It's part of the roof, and has to be cut out and glued back in. Not like someone swapped it out for a different car, not worth it. More likely it's baking in the sun and developing stress cracks. Does the car stay outside all the time?

yes ! It's always in the sun. I meant ahe said fiber glass not carbon sorry. But what about all the weird scratches? I don't have them anywhere else.

it looks like they are from a gas station car wash.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM

c class

Rest of the panels don't bear that kind of scratches seen on the front panel, I wax the car after a wash but not that front panel but that would not explain presence of heavy swirls , I could be wrong.

i need help to understand
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by Sam Manuel

Rest of the panels don't bear that kind of scratches seen on the front panel, I wax the car after a wash but not that front panel but that would not explain presence of heavy swirls , I could be wrong.

i need help to understand
Try to hit it with a light polish like Scratch X, should remove the scratches very easily, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is another good option that is a bit more abrasive but not damaging.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
To my eye that doesn't look like scratching, that looks like fracturing (where layers of material separate).
Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Sam Manuel
yes ! It's always in the sun. I meant ahe said fiber glass not carbon sorry. But what about all the weird scratches? I don't have them anywhere else.

it looks like they are from a gas station car wash.
It's the material separating due to the sun exposure. It's internal, not surface scratches. Look at the jagged lines, scratches will always be swirls or brush patterns if it's from washing. That's material failing due to UV breaking down the resin.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
To my eye that doesn't look like scratching, that looks like fracturing (where layers of material separate).
Exactly ^^
Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
It's the material separating due to the sun exposure. It's internal, not surface scratches. Look at the jagged lines, scratches will always be swirls or brush patterns if it's from washing. That's material failing due to UV breaking down the resin.
My motherinlaw has that stuff on her face!! I hope my car doesn't get it from her!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 PM

c class
Thank you Guys ! i feel really better , I was freaking out cause I thought they swapped it out I'm embarrassed now cause I suggested that to my SA.

Probably wont be going there again would it be replaceable under warranty? he did say he was going to look into it but I don't want him doing it cause he thinks I will fill badly one of their stupid surveys.

Thank you