GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Jack Points and Adapters - old DIY topic, new thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Jack Points and Adapters - old DIY topic, new thread

Planning to jack up the GL350 for a tire rotation, as I find it mildly satisfying to perform wheel swap jobs myself while also getting to ensure proper, even lug torque. I am not mechanic enough to do much else, so here's my thrill. For what it's worth, in anticipation of an upcoming DIY "A" service and hoping to bond even more closely with my ride, I also just ordered a factory MB oil filter from ECS Tuning with free shipping for about $11.XX, a 84 mm 14 flute filter housing wrench and some 229.51 spec oil. I thank those here who posted DIY oil change guides for W166 or X166. I'll merely contribute this link for the wrench I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, back to my point - the GL jacking points, in fact. The GL jack points (and load) differ greatly from my other garage occupant, a Miata. I never before used jack pad adapters with a block shape, as opposed to a hockey puck cushion or the pinch weld slotted types.

1. I bought these jack pad adapters on Amazon. I like how this very hard yet relatively light poly material seems easy to manage, won't rattle the same way if stored less than ideally somewhere in my car, plus they're at a nice price relative to metal adapters.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. When I fit these poly adapters to the underside jack point receiver, I see that it's not perfectly tight to the adapter block receiver or to the base. The block fits well enough, just a little bit of wiggle but not at all wrong sized. The block height means that the base is 1/4" from the jack point receiver. I attach two photos. My GL has factory running boards not directly shown in the photos, if that's relevant.
Does all this seem correct and normal, etc., to all you DIYers here? Just checking before I attempt to lift one side of my 5600 lb. vehicle. My unfamiliarity makes me approach with caution and with the benefit of this forum's collective wisdom.

3. I find no official owners manual or forum rule on setting the Airmatic suspension in any special manner prior to lifting. This runs contrary to some other air spring rides from different makers that I previously owned. Do I have this correct, no setting for lifting?

TIA.
Attached Thumbnails Jack Points and Adapters - old DIY topic, new thread-imag0624.jpg   Jack Points and Adapters - old DIY topic, new thread-imag0629.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by mustbebenz:
Roadhog56 (01-05-2020), StradaRedlands (02-21-2017)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
did you order an 84mm or 74mm oil filter wrench? I believe it is 74mm on the m278 engine and 84mm for the diesel?

There is an oil change video on youtube for the m278 engine although it may nto help your diesel oil change. check out the channel https://www.youtube.com/benzsuv

On a related note - what jack are you using to raise the truck and where are you putting the jack stands.

I am assuming that - you would jack the truck elsewhere (which i really want to know) and put the jack under the jack points.

I'd like to remove the wheels so that i can replace the center mercedes logo caps - but dont know how to keep the truck up on jack stands safely/securely.

Last edited by maneesh; 08-10-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:50 PM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
GL350 is diesel, so 84 mm. Maybe my link was not clear, but I got the correct diesel wrench.

I have two jacks, plus two stands. I'll raise one side using both floor jack and the jack points, keeping the floor jacks in place, and employ the stands merely as safety backup placing those under key suspension mounting points, for example, or some other suitable location different from the occupied jack points. I will neither be under the car nor keeping it raised up more than a few minutes each side, just long enough to rotate wheels front to back, so it's not a really big deal.
My OE center logo caps look all crazed and crappy, and I wondered why. Time to drive by the dealership and ask for a warranty replacement. If not, they appear inexpensive to purchase as accessories, maybe the only value in that catalog.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250
Thanks, this is an old thread I know, however did you jack up your car using your described method?

John
Old 06-25-2017, 12:55 AM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
I thought I described that I just did one side at a time. I had two pump jacks, one front and one rear using the adapters and those crazy jack points, and I just used the stands under suspension mounting points as back up safety measure. It was just a front to back rotation.