Beaten black (and a little blue)...bringing a C63 back from an uncertain fate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 403 Likes on 280 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by tantumaude
No worries, it isn't you. I've texted them and there is no reply since yesterday, but there are some IG and other media posts. As such, much as I hate to do this, I'm going to call out user "callmiro" on scamming me. It's a shame, he seems to be a very active user with a high post count.

Here's the FS thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-toronto.html

As you can see in his posts, he says the tread is "80%...very little wear" and that the wheels "are in good condition for winters". I'll post some pictures shortly of what I actually ended up with. Again, my fault for not thoroughly scrutinising these before paying, but I had every reason to believe they would be as advertised from such an established member who invited me to pick them up at their own home.
Saw that too and was tempted. But $900 is a steal! Keep in mind that a new set will set you back $6500+tax. You may be able to get them for $5K + tax new. New tires are about $1200, meaning the rims are worth $3800 new. Mint AMG rims even used are worth at least 1/2 of their new price, so about $1900.
Paying $900 for even ****ty condition AMG rims with ****ty tires is a fair price. It would have been a scam if these were truly mint at that price.
Look at it this way - you paid a fair price for the condition they are in.
And caveat emptior! Buyer beware. It's the buyer's resp to check!

Last edited by Surge; 02-28-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
No, we opened the top of one wheel bag/cover/wrap thing, which was one of the fronts, either the Pilot Alpin or the Hankook as I recall it having at least some tread. I don't recall seeing the wheel face, at least not the whole thing. Both Miro and I loaded them into my car after that. It was dark and cold, andI had asked enough questions in his FS thread to be satisfied that they would meet my needs.

Again though, I can't blame him for my not looking.

That said, there is no way I would have paid anywhere near $900 had I actually looked at them though. Truth be told, I don't think I would even have made an offer.
Now you're completely talking shi+

The tire bags are completely open on one side as in the picture. You don't have to take them off to view the tire or the wheels. It took zero effort to release the chord to view the whole wheel, which is what we did. All of them were leaned up against my back wall and were opened. They weren't stacked on each other. My garage is fully lit with 6 big flourescent tubes and you viewed them in the garage.

You looked at all of them and bought them. If you didn't think there was 80% then you shouldn't have bought them. But you did. No false advertising.

And now 2 months later you want to come back and cry foul. Yet you say you're keeping them and refinishing them? Wow, you really got screwed.

Last edited by callmiro; 02-28-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,823 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You guys truly deserve each other
Old 02-28-2017, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,580 Likes on 931 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Coles notes: FS thread was inaccurate, buyer is blind, both parties now have bruised feelings.

Either way, $900 is a fair price for the pile of sh¡t that they actually were. Would have been a steal if they were as advertised. Smells like a "too good to be true" lesson.

Shame on both of you.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S600TT, F456GT, E34, E91
Originally Posted by Surge
Saw that too and was tempted. But $900 is a steal! Keep in mind that a new set will set you back $6500+tax. You may be able to get them for $5K + tax new. New tires are about $1200, meaning the rims are worth $3800 new. Mint AMG rims even used are worth at least 1/2 of their new price, so about $1900.
Paying $900 for even ****ty condition AMG rims with ****ty tires is a fair price. It would have been a scam if these were truly mint at that price.
Look at it this way - you paid a fair price for the condition they are in.
And caveat emptior! Buyer beware. It's the buyer's resp to check!
Being new to MB cars, I don't really understand this pricing. Not trying to stir the pot, just genuinely curious.

6.5k will buy me some HREs or equally nice aftermarket wheels. In the BMW and Audi worlds it'll buy very nearly topline OEM wheels. How can decade-plus-old AMG wheels be worth nearly that much? Is there something hugely special about their construction or somesuch? Or are these specifically very collectible?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:57 AM

S600TT, F456GT, E34, E91
Originally Posted by callmiro
Now you're completely talking shi+

The tire bags are completely open on one side as in the picture. You don't have to take them off to view the tire or the wheels. It took zero effort to release the chord to view the whole wheel, which is what we did. All of them were leaned up against my back wall and were opened. They weren't stacked on each other. My garage is fully lit with 6 big flourescent tubes and you viewed them in the garage.

You looked at all of them and bought them. If you didn't think there was 80% then you shouldn't have bought them. But you did. No false advertising.

And now 2 months later you want to come back and cry foul. Yet you say you're keeping them and refinishing them? Wow, you really got screwed.

Really? You still haven't answered the question:

Were the tires that you sold me on those wheels
a) all Michelin Pilot Alpin?
b) all at 80% tread?

Since you're unwilling to do so, allow me.

They weren't. So yes, by definition, that was false advertising.

The covers that I ended up with covered the wheel face, and were so jammed shut that I had to cut them open. At no point did I open any more than the one that you pulled back to show me a part of a tire.

Your denials make little sense; what do I have to gain from raising a ruckus about this two months after purchase if I had indeed seen them and bought them knowing their true state?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Yup, so I bought a riveter, some carbide drill bits and rivets and went to town. Speakers are replaced. Just need to wait for a couple more clips tomorrow and a heat gun to reshape a couple of plastic bits, and I should have the door back together in time to install tomorrow afternoon. I have to say that I am impressed to see how massive the MB rivets are compared to regular ones. Pretty serious stuff!

Shoutout to callmiro for some nice wheels I picked up this evening. Love the stable and thanks for the demo!
Your exact words above.....right after you bought them...you remember you posted this right?

Time to move along and to stop dragging me through this nonsense
Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 PM

S600TT, F456GT, E34, E91
Of course I do. That's what I thought I'd bought, I was rather excited to have what I expected were nice wheels--I'd had every reason to trust you, which is why I didn't think it necessary at the time to even look at them. You can imagine my disappointment when I

The only nonsense here is your obstinate refusal to admit that you did anything wrong. You knew full well that the tires were junk and the wheels looked atrocious. Yet you falsely advertised them as something else--a fact you've completely failed to address. You made your quick buck off my naïveté, well done. I hope the airing of your dishonesty is worth it to you.

As you say though, it's time to move on.

In regards to the operating temperature of the car, is it normal for the coolant to sit at about 91 degrees C during normal driving? I see the needle consistently above the half mark on the gauge.

Last edited by tantumaude; 03-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Yes 91C is pretty normal for water temperature. If you go to the AMG Menu you can monitor water and oil temperature. The oil temperature will be over 100C and will fluctuate a lot, the water temperature will remain relatively constant once warmed up. Give a short run with RPMs at or above 4K and the oil temperature will quickly rise to 106C and cool off fairly quickly as well when you drop the rpms back to 2K - 2.5K.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:10 PM

S600TT, F456GT, E34, E91
Originally Posted by Mort
Yes 91C is pretty normal for water temperature. If you go to the AMG Menu you can monitor water and oil temperature. The oil temperature will be over 100C and will fluctuate a lot, the water temperature will remain relatively constant once warmed up. Give a short run with RPMs at or above 4K and the oil temperature will quickly rise to 106C and cool off fairly quickly as well when you drop the rpms back to 2K - 2.5K.
Thanks. I pulled up the menu as you suggested, that is an amazing feature. It's nice to see a car that reflects actual temperature fluctuations. Most of my other cars show at exactly the half-mark more or less all the time (except the Alfa, that one goes all over the place). The flashing reminder that it's still warming up is nice too.

That brings up a second, rather silly question: how do people mount their front plates? I can't quite bring myself to drill holes in the bumper, is double-sided tape the answer?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Thanks. I pulled up the menu as you suggested, that is an amazing feature. It's nice to see a car that reflects actual temperature fluctuations. Most of my other cars show at exactly the half-mark more or less all the time (except the Alfa, that one goes all over the place). The flashing reminder that it's still warming up is nice too.

That brings up a second, rather silly question: how do people mount their front plates? I can't quite bring myself to drill holes in the bumper, is double-sided tape the answer?
I just used long bolts and nuts and I hooked it up through the front lower "mesh" grill. It isnt obtrusive, no bumper drilling and you can easily take it on and off for car shows, etc.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM

S600TT, F456GT, E34, E91
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
I just used long bolts and nuts and I hooked it up through the front lower "mesh" grill. It isnt obtrusive, no bumper drilling and you can easily take it on and off for car shows, etc.
Wouldn't that block airflow to rad and oil cooler?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan (SOLD), 2011 SLS Gullwing (SOLD), 2009 SLK55 (SOLD), 2015 C7 Z06 7MT, 2016 C450amg
If I had to have a front plate I would probably use the tow hook adapter. No holes and easy to remove.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
It probably does, but like I said, easy to take off if you want to track the car. For everyday driving, even spirited driving, its not going to affect anything.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Just use double sided tape or buy a tow hook mount
Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I just got over it, bought the factory front plate mount and installed it.

And I hear you about the Alfa temperature gauge, I was watching it like a hawk. In retrospect however, my Alfa 164 had less cooling problems than my BMW E36.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM

S600TT, F456GT, E34, E91
Originally Posted by Vladds
I just got over it, bought the factory front plate mount and installed it.

And I hear you about the Alfa temperature gauge, I was watching it like a hawk. In retrospect however, my Alfa 164 had less cooling problems than my BMW E36.

Fair enough. I have it attached on top of the lower grille at present, I think I will (double-sided) tape a flat plastic plate to the bumper and attach the license plate to this with regular screws.

Yes, the Alfa's colling scares my heart but the BMWs scare my wallet.